Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden retriever appetite change

• 23-09-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice here. My dog is 14 months old and always had a really good appetite. She always got a cup of dry nuts in the morning and another cup in the evening, she would never leave a bit behind her and would eat anything else if she had the chance. However about a month ago her appetite dropped a lot, I assumed it was just because she was in heat and acting a wee bit funny. But now she's nearly 10 days out of heat and she might only be eating half of what she once was. She's definitely not been given too much food. Has anyone any advice before I bring her to the vets? Is there anyway after her first heat that it would suddenly change her food preference, or is it something to do with her recently finished growing? She still seems happy enough, but has lost a small bit of weight and seems more lethargic. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd put it down to her being out of sorts from being in heat also 2 weeks after she finished she may have a false pregnancy so would be out of sorts from that. Funny my GR girl had her first heat at 13 months! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Cheers TK, I'll give her to next week and see how she goes before I do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

would agree if her first heat it can be severe on the system

but as somebody who has seen pyometra too often in my life time its something I would always like to rule out

don't want to be scaremongering but its something im always wary of especially for the first 8 weeks after a heat cycle

does she have any unusual discharge if she is a very clean girl it may be present without you noticing

is she weeing or drinking more than usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If it were me I would get her checked out by the vet, wouldn't be happy leaving it much longer tbh.

She ate very little again dismorning. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow morning just in case. Looking at some of the symptoms of what ye have mentioned here and I'm getting a little paranoid. Cheers everyone, I'll let ye know what they say!

• Advertisement

Ah hope she's ok. Try not to worry/google symptoms too much!

hope the little pet is ok can u get her seen by the vet any sooner this evening maybe

Nope first thing tomorrow morning is the best they can do. I'm sure she's fine hopefully. To be honest, I didn't think very much when I posted that last night or didn't look to deep into it, maybe I should have been acting on it quicker but I just thought it may have been a hormonal thing. Like she's very misleading as she looks fine and looks happy, but there is definitely something wrong. She ate nothing today which is a first. Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Good luck, hopefully it won't be anything serious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Wait til you see op, tomorrow morning she'll be bouncing around full of the joys... But wouldn't have been if you hadn't made the vets appointment :D

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Wait til you see op, tomorrow morning she'll be bouncing around full of the joys... But wouldn't have been if you hadn't made the vets appointment :D

OR will be miserable/sick and the second the till closes after you pay **DING** all better :D

how is doggy today

Hi we found there was slight diarrhoea coming on, nearly unnoticeable, it may have even passed itself without meds. I give her thin of dog food last night as she hadn't ate a thing, she's never had it before but she finished every bit of it, I was never as happy. According to the vet, she's probably only a week or less fully out of heat so she thinks her system is still responding to this, just may have been more difficult than most and that she has to deal with it in her own way. Basically there was probably very little wrong with her at all, she just was having a harder few weeks than thought, but better safe than sorry. You'd drive yourself mad paranoid when you start trying to guess what it may be through the internet. Thanks very much everyone :):):)

ah that's great news you will be able to sleep well tonight

Advertisement