Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo H50-50 Gfx Upgrade?

Options
  • 23-09-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Oh bought a PC with this mobo in it and wants to upgrage the gfx card. I'm finding it hard to make sense of what is available and compatible. Found mention of the Gtx 745, but can't find it for sale ANYWHERE?
    Any other suggestions?
    We're not on a particular budget, so any and all upgrades from the current GT 705 would be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm pretty sure that is the case model and not the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'm pretty sure that is the case model and not the motherboard.

It's what came up as I used Speccy - also mentioned Sharkbay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Post up a screengrab of the summary from speccy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its got either a 280W or 180W PSU, which seriously narrows the upgrade paths. Can you find the PCs exact model, or the PSUs. It should be printed on the side of it.

The PC we're talking about is page 79 link

This enough?

• Advertisement

Its got either a 280W or 180W PSU, which seriously narrows the upgrade paths. Can you find the PCs exact model, or the PSUs. It should be printed on the side of it.

The PC we're talking about is page 79 link

Also happy to upgrade PSU if possible.

Edit: No mention of full model anywhere that I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Either side or top of PSU?

Do these shelf PCs use the standard connections yeah? I haven't been in one since I was about 11

Either side or top of PSU?

Do these shelf PCs use the standard connections yeah? I haven't been in one since I was about 11

AFAIK :pac:
    Mine's a (really old) custom-built rig. 5 years old and still running new games on medium, I dunno what I was thinking letting him get a store one.
    He has the patience of the patron saint of lack of patience. If there isn't one, might I nominate someone? :P

I can't actually take the cover off at the minute. Is there no other way I can check?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

lenovo sometimes whitelist (i.e. blacklist everything else!) in the motherboard, have a look at this

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-and-ErazerX/Upgrading-PSU-and-graphics-card-on-lenovo-h50-50/td-p/1845869

Have a google to see if anybody has used parts not on the list provided.

I only discovered this after buying a lenovo flex laptop second hand and only then had a google, lots of people on forums giving out the SSDs they were swapping out the hard drive for weren't recognised during windows install (attempts!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it a full size case or a slimline one? Just to make sure you get the appropriate card.

GTX745 is an OEM card and not one you can just buy from any retailer, but a GTX750 is faster, is about €100 new and should work in your PC.

Ideally you would have the 280W PSU but if its the 180W one, a GTX750 should still work OK, your CPU is probably 65w, 750 is 60w, ram and hard drive, overall you should come in at about 150w peak usage. Not ideal but should be OK.

• Advertisement

Is it a full size case or a slimline one? Just to make sure you get the appropriate card.

GTX745 is an OEM card and not one you can just buy from any retailer, but a GTX750 is faster, is about €100 new and should work in your PC.

Ideally you would have the 280W PSU but if its the 180W one, a GTX750 should still work OK, your CPU is probably 65w, 750 is 60w, ram and hard drive, overall you should come in at about 150w peak usage. Not ideal but should be OK.

I definitely wouldn't call it slimline. Was thinking it was a bit weird that I couldn't find the 745 anywhere!

Advertisement