Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign object in my sausage

Options
  • 23-09-2015 6:35pm

Sat down to eat my dinner today and I noticed that one of my sausages had a mold green shade in it: https://imgur.com/F95vc0o

I was confused and carefully peeled the skin back and prodded the object, I now belive it to be a bit of the green part of a dishmatic sponge: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DtV9u4XYL.jpg

I'm unsure how I should proceed with this, I bought the sausages in my local butcher, they're a very popular butcher in the area, I'd like to draw it to there attention and see what they say, but I don't want to go in and make a scene in front of their customers.

Any advice on what I should do? maybe just leave it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bring it up with the butcher, obviously. You don't have to talk on the front-facing shop floor, either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Just tell them on the quite if you have to , if they make the sausages in store it could have dropped into the sausage mix by accident , not a really big deal , if it was me I wouldn't even bother telling them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

It's very kind of you to not want to make a scene! It would be better that someone like you brought this to their attention than someone else who may want to take further more damaging action. Hypothetically if anything were to happen to someone because of one of these foreign objects they could end up in a lot more trouble. They would probably appreciate you telling them!

I'm kinda leaning towards not doing anything, even if I quietly bring it up, they might not believe me (maybe thinking I plan to try do something about it) and if they do, will it actually accomplish anything, maybe someone will lose there job, I don't want that to happen. :confused:

This would be so much easier if it had been a branded pack of sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Straight down to the EHO followed by a visit to Sueme Suckers Solicitors. Will come in handy for the Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was convinced this was going to be a long lead in David Cameron joke...

If you don't want to make a big thing of it, either drop in when its quiet or give them a phonecall and let them call you back when its quiet. I'd be expecting a few free sausages, sans sponge, at least.

L1011 wrote: »
    I was convinced this was going to be a long lead in David Cameron joke...

If you don't want to make a big thing of it, either drop in when its quiet or give them a phonecall and let them call you back when its quiet. I'd be expecting a few free sausages, sans sponge, at least.

Sorry to disappoint, this is my own personal #piggate :pac:

I do like the sound of some free sausages, phone call might be a good option.

I've just discovered they have an online presence with a contact form, I think this will be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

! Fight fire with fire thus sponges with sponging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Considering what sausages are made from, the sponge might be the healthiest thing in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Thread disappoints given the title!

Foreign objects in food happens more often than most of us realise. Take it back and hopefully get some good will burgers! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 FlickBean

The butcher will definitely look after you - they'd hate to have a local customer badmouthing them around the area :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 FlickBean

Oh and in terms of general customer queries I always find these guys very helpful - http://www.consumerhelp.ie/ :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Definitely bring it back to them so they can at least know they have a problem that needs to be sorted out & quickly.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Definitely bring it back to them so they can at least know they have a problem that needs to be sorted out & quickly.

To be fair, I doubt the addition of sponges to sausages is an ongoing issue like adding horse meet to our burgers was. In all food preperation accidents happen, anyone who works in the food industry will tell you that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

I'd leave it to be honest, Not worth bringing back to the butchers. Let sleeping dogs lie

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If I was a manager, I'd want to know about something like this. It identifies a cross-contamination issue, or a staff training issue, and flags that something went wrong with hygiene standards that could cost the business hard-earned quality status. It could be a brand new hire who has ignored their training, and needs reminding. It's a dishsponge today, but the next day it could be something that could be ingested or cause harm.

I would appreciate someone coming in to discuss it with me discreetly. I would NOT appreciate someone mouthing off on twitter about the business before I had a chance to rectify it. Bring it in, ask to speak to the manager, show them what it is and give a reputable business a chance to rectify the lapse in standards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

davo10 wrote: »
    To be fair, I doubt the addition of sponges to sausages is an ongoing issue like adding horse meet to our burgers was. In all food preperation accidents happen, anyone who works in the food industry will tell you that.

Accidents dont happen, they're caused. There are ways & means to prevent it happening again, but unless you know about an incident like this you cant do anything about it.

I've worked in the food business for donkeys years so I have some experience in this sort of thing.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Accidents dont happen, they're caused. There are ways & means to prevent it happening again, but unless you know about an incident like this you cant do anything about it.

I've worked in the food business for donkeys years so I have some experience in this sort of thing.

You've never dropped anything or forgotten something when preparing food? Now that is impressive. Accidents happen to us all, we are not robots and we cannot control all variables in our environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

davo10 wrote: »
    You've never dropped anything or forgotten something when preparing food? Now that is impressive. Accidents happen to us all, we are not robots and we cannot control all variables in our environment.

That's just it. You have to correct whatever led to an incident like this. You have to make every attempt to control said variables.

• Advertisement

No response to my email today, I'll head over to the butcher with the offending sausage and ask for the manger tomorrow if I still haven't got a response.

Apologies again lads and lassies if you're Disgruntled that "Foreign
    object in my sausage" was not a euphemism for a penis in a dead pig :D

Advertisement