Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice to Landlord when leaving non owner occupied accommodation

Options
  • 23-09-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

renting a room 3 years from landlord first year had a lease coming up to 3rd year in october, looking to move out, as a good will gesture sent him a letter for ref and he saying i need to give 56 days notcie period, ?

is this the case thought was a month notice as in no lease now ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

976496 wrote: »
    renting a room 3 years from landlord first year had a lease coming up to 3rd year in october, looking to move out, as a good will gesture sent him a letter for ref and he saying i need to give 56 days notcie period, ?

is this the case thought was a month notice as in no lease now ?
    If you're not sharing with the landlord, then yes 56 days would be the requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 976496

no not sharing with him.

but i am not currently in a lease though ??

i no him well but being horrible as i put it in writing

only done it as a good gesture because i am in no lease ?

is this still the case ?

976496 wrote: »
    no not sharing with him.

but i am not currently in a lease though ??

i no him well but being horrible as i put it in writing

only done it as a good gesture because i am in no lease ?

is this still the case ?

You are automatically on a part 4 tenancy after your lease expires (well after 6 months into your lease technically). Part 4 tenancy has set notice periods depending on how long you are in the house.

You can find most of the information here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note Split from notice in owner occupied accommodation thread. OP please be mindful of where you're posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Notice is not a requirement of a lease but a requirement of tenancy.

As you have been in the house more than 2 years you owe the landlord 56 days notice (8 weeks).

If you had a fixed term lease then you would not be able to give notice at all (unless there was a break clause) until the fixed term was over.

To sum up, yes you need to give 56 days notice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement