Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do art for the Leaving Cert?

• 23-09-2015 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently in 4th year, our school doesn't have transition year so we jumped straight into the leaving cert course. We have picked our subjects at the end of 3rd year and I chose Spanish, Biology, Chemistry and Physics as well as Applied maths as an extra subject. Unfortunately, I am not very interested in physics as much as I thought I would be. I thought that I might enjoy it but the formulas and calculations seem daunting, in other words I find the subject a little bit boring. As I mentioned before I also signed up for applied maths, I know that the exam is predictable as you have to learn several methods/calculations and they always come up on the exam. I think I'll drop app. Maths since I'm doing Japanese(ordinary level) on my own and I'm aiming for a O1-O2, but I'm not sure about this since doing app. Maths can give you many so called ''easy'' points considering the facts stated above. So there are 4 solutions, 1.keep up physics and app. maths since they are similar in certain areas and one complements the other, 2. Drop app. Maths but keep up Physics, 3. Drop Physics and app.maths and do Art, 4. Drop physics and do art but keep up app. maths while trying to study Japanese on my own. I really enjoy art, but I'm afraid that I'll regret my decision just the way I'm regretting doing physics( I was really positive about physics since I enjoyed the idea that I could be ''constructing'' planes and rockets). I think that I'll enjoy art history, I did have a look at the book. I always had an interest in art since I was little. I used to watch art and craft shows on TV, attend art classes in primary school and so on. On the other hand I also enjoy science and I wish to pursue a career in science, or not, time will tell. I received an A in HL science, A in HL maths and B in Art, I haven't put much effort in my art project though. I would like to hear your opinion on this matter :)

tl;dr Art or Physics/Applied maths

Should I do art or physics/applied maths 8 votes

Do art and drop physics and applied maths
    0% 0 votes
    Keep on physics and applied maths, no art
    37% 3 votes
    Drop physics take up art but keep up app. maths
    62% 5 votes
    Do physics but drop app. Maths, no art
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

If your decent at maths(its seems you are) you should keep up physics and applied maths .Applied maths is seen as an easy A if your willing to learn tonnes of methods of by heart.

Why are you doing ordinary level japanese? Do you need it for a course? If not then its a waste of time and effort as your most likely not going to use it for points.

You do realise it's extremely hard to get an A in art, something like 1% gets A1s and around 4% get A2s. Unless your naturally gifted at Art i wouldn't advise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Ron603

hubluh wrote: »
    If your decent at maths(its seems you are) you should keep up physics and applied maths .Applied maths is seen as an easy A if your willing to learn tonnes of methods of by heart.

Why are you doing ordinary level japanese? Do you need it for a course? If not then its a waste of time and effort as your most likely not going to use it for points.

You do realise it's extremely hard to get an A in art, something like 1% gets A1s and around 4% get A2s. Unless your naturally gifted at Art i wouldn't advise it.

Well, I was surprised that I got an A in maths since I found the exam difficult, I'm not a genius at maths, I'll admit I do sometimes shed a tear when doing my maths homework. On the other hand I did end up in the mathletes final. I am very aware of the diffculty to achieve an A in art but I would be happy with a B or a high C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I definitely wouldn't do OL Japanese as it's a great workload for what is probably going to be very little. You probably won't count it, you won't learn very much after two years of ordinary level, and the effort you put into it will likely impede on your other subjects. I would have liked to have learned more in school, but in reality, 6 or 7 subjects is a huge volume of work for most people. I'd advise you to do something that you truly like over something you're just doing for points as you'll enjoy it more, and you'll be happier. It will be easier to study for too. Having said all of that, do have one eye on a future career. If you really want to something with strong Maths and/or Physics elements to it, I'd advise keeping them up, but if you're unsure about your future, do Spanish, Biology, Chemistry and Art.:)

Advertisement