Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilomarathon & 10K

Options
  • 23-09-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Contemplating running the 10k in Moone this Saturday.
    Has anybody ran this 10k before. What's the course like?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I didn't run the 10km last year but I ran the Kilomarathon. The race itself was very well organised. The course shared parts of the 26.2k route. Reports back were positive, with a general 'rolling' hill' type feedback.

The hill at the end is a steep one but at that stage you can smell the finish so it wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone doing it this year? Signed up last night before the cut off (for the kilo). Plan is once again to try and hit marathon pace. This will be my 3.5th time doing this race.

Anyone doing it this year? Signed up last night before the cut off (for the kilo). Plan is once again to try and hit marathon pace. This will be my 3.5th time doing this race.

Not this year (not marathon training).

For me the best preparatory race for the autumn marathons in Ireland. Hope you get cooler weather this year. My god last year was unseasonably hot! Great having so many water stations though, really helped.

Crackin' race. Have a good one and make sure to enjoy that 'small drag' at the end :D.

Crackin' race. Have a good one and make sure to enjoy that 'small drag' at the end :D.
    If I make it to 15 miles at marathon pace, I'll happily walk up that final hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

I'm doing the kilomarathon as prep for Dublin. MP run, so the target is around 7.30-7.40m/m

It's my first time doing this one, and looking at the profile from their website, the second half looks a good bit harder. Does the reality match the profile?

http://www.moonekilomarathon.com/moone_kilomarathon_26.2k_route.html

• Advertisement

vanderlyle wrote: »
    I'm doing the kilomarathon as prep for Dublin. MP run, so the target is around 7.30-7.40m/m

It's my first time doing this one, and looking at the profile from their website, the second half looks a good bit harder. Does the reality match the profile?

http://www.moonekilomarathon.com/moone_kilomarathon_26.2k_route.html

Here's my run from last year, the goal being 6.06p/m average.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/601629978

Interestingly, the garmin profile flattens out some of the hills (compared to the website). I would agree that the 2nd is slightly harder. A typical country affair with rolling hills but nothing too bad (the steep hill right at the end looks after itself). I remember the surface being good, especially the left turn onto the section of the N78.

I think it's great preparation for Dublin. I would suggest running by effort and not being a slave to even splits on this particular course. As you can see my splits differ by 16 seconds a mile.

Thanks for all that info DR. I've got a few more questions too....

Are the course markers in km or miles? I'm hoping to make a pace band later.

Are there shower facilities? I'm guessing not, and it doesn't really bother me. Just a nice luxury and one I would avail of if I knew it was there.

I'm guessing also that due to size there aren't pacers?

Thanks for all that info DR. I've got a few more questions too....

Are the course markers in km or miles? I'm hoping to make a pace band later.

Are there shower facilities? I'm guessing not, and it doesn't really bother me. Just a nice luxury and one I would avail of if I knew it was there.

I'm guessing also that due to size there aren't pacers?
    Can't remember any course markers. I'd imagine they'd be in kms, if anything. No showers either. and no pacers. But they have everything else on your list. :)

Can't remember any course markers. I'd imagine they'd be in kms, if anything. No showers either. and no pacers. But they have everything else on your list. :)

Great! So there's a massage afterwards, followed by a dip in the hot tub and later BBQ and beers :) Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Doing it aswell - it's only down the road from me and a good marker for the DCM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Great event and lovely day for it. The route is really nice, no real hills of note and lots of water stations.

TheBazman wrote: »
    Great event and lovely day for it. The route is really nice, no real hills of note and lots of water stations.

+1 to that. Well marshalled, water stations every 3-4km, and great conditions if a touch warm towards the end. Got around at my target MP and that's a good confidence boost ahead of Dublin.

Results here: http://www.totaltiming.ie/results/2015/moone_kilomarathon_2015_fullresults.htm

I think one of the second captains lads was there today. He's doing the Dublin marathon this year.

Nice to meet some other boardsies and put faces to the usernames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

+1 to that. Well marshalled, water stations every 3-4km, and great conditions if a touch warm towards the end. Got around at my target MP and that's a good confidence boost ahead of Dublin.

Results here: http://www.totaltiming.ie/results/2015/moone_kilomarathon_2015_fullresults.htm

I think one of the second captains lads was there today. He's doing the Dublin marathon this year.

Nice to meet some other boardsies and put faces to the usernames.

Great to see the Boardsies in the prizes. 3rd for Krusty and a win for jcsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Guys, as one of the organisers I'd like to thank you for your positive comments. Sorry for not being on here last week to answer questions. I'd been keeping an eye out for someone to start a thread, but got swamped in the last few days with all that's involved in putting on the event. We were available on email or facebook though.

To answer the question about the elevation profile after-the-fact, or in advance for next year! I believe the mapmyrun profile (on our site) is accurate, if you do an out-and-back, mapmyrun is always symmetrical, likewise the same run is always the same profile. I've not found that to be the case with a Garmin, but I don't want to start another discussion about those!

Having ran (and cycled) the course I can say that it doesn't really feel like the first half is down and the second half is up. It's up and down the whole way without being extreme. In my opinion the same thing could be said about the DCM, which a lot of entrants use our race as preparation for.

The hill up to the finish is the toughest, but that's a lot to do with its proximity to the finish.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

[QUOTE I'm guessing also that due to size there aren't pacers?[/QUOTE]

No we didn't have pacers, but despite not being a big race, we're not against the idea. So if anyone is interested get in touch before next year's event, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

vinny1313 wrote: »
    Guys, as one of the organisers I'd like to thank you for your positive comments. Sorry for not being on here last week to answer questions. I'd been keeping an eye out for someone to start a thread, but got swamped in the last few days with all that's involved in putting on the event. We were available on email or facebook though.

To answer the question about the elevation profile after-the-fact, or in advance for next year! I believe the mapmyrun profile (on our site) is accurate, if you do an out-and-back, mapmyrun is always symmetrical, likewise the same run is always the same profile. I've not found that to be the case with a Garmin, but I don't want to start another discussion about those!

Having ran (and cycled) the course I can say that it doesn't really feel like the first half is down and the second half is up. It's up and down the whole way without being extreme. In my opinion the same thing could be said about the DCM, which a lot of entrants use our race as preparation for.

The hill up to the finish is the toughest, but that's a lot to do with its proximity to the finish.

Thanks again

Just to say, i done the 10k on Saturday. Loved the course and the organisation. Will definitely be back.

It's a great race, that really has gone from strength to strength, year on year. Marshaling on course is excellent, water in bottles throughout the race, a good fair course (great prep for an October marathon), and prizes for almost every age category imaginable! Was sad to hear of Tony Donoghue's passing, but great to see that the race that he worked so hard to get up and running lives on and is a tribute to his efforts. Will be back next year, if I have another October marathon in the schedule.

Advertisement