Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect ban

Options
  • 23-09-2015 8:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I made a post on a thread in the politics cafe at 18:05.

Here is a link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057498263&page=2

At 19:00 (or afterwards) some horse moderator made a post saying "Thread moved to Northern Ireland", soon later, I was banned from the Northern Ireland forum for making threats of violence.

I believe that the infraction is wrong because the politics cafe does not disallow the content in my post but an hour after making my post, the thread was moved into the Northern Ireland thread and the charter there doesn't allow my post.

This is an oversight made by a moderator and I'd like it undone, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

1. Ban, not infraction.
    2. Not Politics Cafe. Your post was reported several times (which, by the way, would be counted as trolling in ANY forum) and the thread title in the Reported Post forum (at 18:43, before the thread move at 19:02) was:

Politics (General) > Tricolour burnings in Belfast - Should Irish government do more? - post by Notavirus.exe reported by xxxxxx

Since your original post was in Politics (General), I've moved your ban there instead.

The clause in charter for the record:
    Please note that any post deemed to incite hatred or promote violence will be dealt with in the strictest possible manner. Whatever your politics we expect discussion in a manner fit for adults, but first and foremost human beings. Celebration/promotion/triumphing of murder, violence or aggression will result in an immediate banning from the forum and deletion of your posts.

Feel free to dispute the length here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Mr E wrote: »
    1. Ban, not infraction.
    2. Not Politics Cafe. Your post was reported several times (which, by the way, would be counted as trolling in ANY forum) and the thread title in the Reported Post forum (at 18:43, before the thread move at 19:02) was:

Politics (General) > Tricolour burnings in Belfast - Should Irish government do more? - post by Notavirus.exe reported by xxxxxx

Since your original post was in Politics (General), I've moved your ban there instead.

The clause in charter for the record:

Feel free to dispute the length here.

I thought that it was in the Politics (Cafe), I've never been on Politics (General) before. I was on the main boards.ie page (you know the one) and I saw the "tricolour burnings in Belfast" thread and saw Politics followed by what I perceived to be "(Cafe)". I have a thread about having a United Ireland in the Politics (Cafe)

I would like to dispute the length. I'd request that you reduce it to one month or something else that's not permanent.
    When I see a rule such as "don't threaten people" I take it as "don't threaten other users". I was making the post in defence and I purposely said that I'd burn their houses down because they were burning the tricolour which I find disgraceful. Obviously it didn't look like a joke, it looked more like a demented statement. Similarly, if they were shooting at the tricolour, I would have said I was going to shoot them.

To me, these guys are criminals. From my experience of this website, everyone here is cool with other people saying that they would, for example, shoot criminals. I find it strange that people reported my post. The only people who could have hated my post would have to be those terrorists up north burning our tricolour.

I don't have much to say for myself but could I please have my ban reduced because I've never posted in the Politics (General) forum. That post was accidental as I thought I was in the Cafe.

Please note that any post deemed to incite hatred or promote violence will be dealt with in the strictest possible manner. Whatever your politics we expect discussion in a manner fit for adults, but first and foremost human beings. Celebration/promotion/triumphing of murder, violence or aggression will result in an immediate banning from the forum and deletion of your posts.

Don't you think that the burning of our national flag, the symbol of our republic and our pride, is inciting hatred and promoting violence? I am sickened by these terrorists. Can you blame me for losing my cool?

Anyway, I never knew I was in the Politics (General) forum. I thought it was the Politics (Cafe) forum I was in and the rules there don't mention violence. I had never been on the Politics (General) forum up until my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I'll have a look at this later today.
    Can you send on your PM exchange with the mod you banned you where you tried to resolve this?

OK NAV

without waiting for your PM exchange with the banning mod I've reviewed the thread and your posts.
    1 - it was in Politics as Mr E above clarified
    2 - while you say you never posted there before you did, and even if in error you are responsible for what you posted.

Opening post
    Do people think the Irish government should do more to prevent the burning of the Irish tricolour in Belfast and other parts of Northern Ireland?

Your first reply:
    If I find out the names of the perpetrators, I'll burn their ****ing houses down.
    & just 8 minutes later
    I despise our flag. It represents the peace between us green people and those orange people. Peace no more.

Let me be blunt - that type of posting is not welcome in Politics. I therefore support the permanent ban as clearly (accidental or not) it was an incitement to hatred and frankly seeing such a post here I would recommend a site ban be applied for a period of a month or so in addition to this permanent ban from Politics.

Irrespective - as you call out above you never posted to Politics before and so I don't think you or they will miss each other overly much. If in a year or two or three you still wish to be able to post there you may contact the active mods at that time and show them evidence of your constructive posting elsewhere on the site so that they can make a call on removing the ban at that time.

For now though - ban stands.
    Recommend - site ban, but that is not my call.

You may request an admin review of the above ban if you wish.

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    Let me be blunt - that type of posting is not welcome in Politics. I therefore support the permanent ban as clearly (accidental or not) it was an incitement to hatred and frankly seeing such a post here I would recommend a site ban be applied for a period of a month or so in addition to this permanent ban from Politics.

I looked up the definition of incitement and got this:
    the action of provoking unlawful behaviour or urging someone to behave unlawfully.

Why do I get the feeling everyone believes that those terrorists are not at fault burning the tricolour? Is that not hatred? I made a comment about terrorists. I did not make a comment about an innocent human being, I would never do such a thing.
    Taltos wrote: »
    Recommend - site ban, but that is not my call.

^^^ What the actual ****?

There are terrorists burning what I hold close to my heart, my national flag. Frankly, I find it disgusting that someone is recommending I get site banned for standing up for my country. Boards.ie may not be the correct place to vent my anger, but when I see **** like that anywhere I'm not going to keep quiet.

If you're so upset that I hurt the feelings of terrorists by making a little post and you think that burning the tricolour isn't showing hatred, you can leave my ban where it is, but look at yourself in the mirror afterwards.

Whatever the outcome, always remember this. You've just recommended that I be site banned for threatening terrorists who more than likely have never heard of this website.

Admin please mark as closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement