Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Presentation-Smart Outfit Required for Very Large Lady.

• 23-09-2015 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

I need to get a smart outfit for Monday!
    I'm a size 20 and can't really wear high heels.
    I'm imagining Alesha Florick, but in reality am more like Angela Merkel.
    Can anyone suggest an online shop for me to check out please??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You might not get it online in time, where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

A budget friendly option too please...

Lux23 wrote:
    You might not get it online in time, where are you based?
    I'm in the midlands but will travel nationwide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Evans?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Addle wrote: »
    I'm in the midlands but will travel nationwide!

Shop in Naas does plus size wedding outfits/mother of the bride type stuff.

http://www.evita.ie/about-us

They were having a massive sale, but they've outfits up to size 22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Simplybe.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ok well firstly size 20 is not "very large". If you look in m&s, debenhams and even dunnes they'll have size 20 in a lot of styles. If you're in the midlands try either M&s in newbridge or shaws in Carlow- they have a lot of different brand concessions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ok well firstly size 20 is not "very large". If you look in m&s, debenhams and even dunnes they'll have size 20 in a lot of styles. If you're in the midlands try either M&s in newbridge or shaws in Carlow- they have a lot of different brand concessions.

Debenhams also in Whitewater in Newbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Stheno wrote: »
    Debenhams also in Whitewater in Newbridge.

Love the debenhams in newbridge. Its really big and has a great selection. I buy a lot of dresses from dorothy perkins online which are around €30. They have a section in debenhams shops too. I wouldnt risk anywhere online unless they did next day delivery. Littlewoods and debenhams both give a good estimate of arrival

Thanks for all the replies. I was up half the night browsing online.

Size 20 is very big in fairness. I have a huge belly.

Have ordered this dress but doubt I'll have it on time do I'm going to go to Newbridge and Athlone on Saturday.

http://www.phase-eight.com/eu/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/latticia-textured-dress/203164153

Can I wear boots with it? It's a work related presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

That dress is lovely. The cross over detail on the front will disguise your tummy if it bothers you.
    I would wear dark tights and black wedges rather than boots. Can you walk in wedges? How tall are you?
    Heels are generally more slimming than flats.

I can walk in heels fine, not so much wedges, but because my legs and ankles are so big, it looks likes there's something wrong with them and that makes me uncomfortable! So I try my best to keep them covered.
    I'm taller than average but not particularly tall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Evans do have some nice occasion wear, right there in the shop on Henry St, Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'd go for dark tights or stockings and heels with that dress rather than boots, I think it would look more professional. But whatever you're most comfortable in is the way to go.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'd go for dark tights or stockings and heels with that dress rather than boots, I think it would look more professional. But whatever you're most comfortable in is the way to go.

Not hold up stockings

Nothing worse than giving a presentation and one of hold ups decide to fall down.

Had it happen to me recently, I spent the next twenty minutes looking like a constipated hippo with my knees glued shut to prevent it sliding down to my ankle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Stheno wrote: »
    Not hold up stockings

Nothing worse than giving a presentation and one of hold ups decide to fall down.

Had it happen to me recently, I spent the next twenty minutes looking like a constipated hippo with my knees glued shut to prevent it sliding down to my ankle

Oh gawd no not holdups, I've had a bad experience with them at an interview in the past! I was a size 16-18 until recently though and generally found stockings and suspenders more comfortable and more flattering than tights under dresses.

Advertisement