Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet & Laptop/All-in-one?

Options
  • 23-09-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning on replacing my old desktop PC (Tower unit) with something a bit fresher. I need to advice on what type of system I should opt for.

I think I would lile a laptop as the tower PC was such a hassle to move and took up significant space. When I go travelling I normally travel for a long period of time (over 3 weeks) and so I would like to take something with me that would allow me to make booking, email home, and possibly do some work (programming). I have a strong desire to have the ability to use a keyboard with whatever device I go for.

The device to take on holiday must be small and lightweight with the ability to use/connect to a keyboard for emails and programming. I'm not sure where this leaves me - tablet or chromebook, or something else I've not thought about. I can also envisage myself using this device at home to watch online videos and general surfing etc.

Therefore, I think this means that the laptop can be a bigger unit - I think 15.6" screen would be best - anything smaller and the two devices start to become too similar. I did look into the possibilty of an all-in-one device, but again it is more static than the laptop.

In writing this, I think I've convinced myself that a 15.6" laptop running an i5 processor would be the best option for me. My understanding is that an i3 processor is basic and the i7 is top end. Middle ground 7th Gen i5 should be the one to go for. Don't think I need a massive hard drive as the current one has less than 100Gb on it and if I cleaned it up, it would be even less.

Questions based on the above:
    1. Does a high end i3 processor outperform a low end i5? i.e. do the ranges overlap in terms of performance or are they sequential?
    2. For my travelling device what are my best options?
    3. Would I be able to install the necessary apps to start writing, compiling and executing programs on a tablet?
    4. Is it worth extending to get a laptop capable of handling 16Gb RAM instead of 8Gb?

Budget for both is approx €700 - €825.

Thanks - any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd say an i3 with 8gb would do? What's the current machine got?

The flip laptop tablets are called Yoga tabs i believe, a Surface Tab pro would also be pretty handy to have, probably the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Current item is over 10 years old running XP with next to no RAM. I'm going to convert it over fully to Linux and leave it at home to back up the main computer there.

Yes the Surface is the mutts nuts, but they are prohibitely expensive considering my budget and what I'm looking for. The minimum screen size is 10.8" which is too big to take travelling and to have it as a single solution I don't believe would be a good option.

You said in the OP you want a 15.6" laptop?

Yes, but I also said I wanted something small and lightweight to take travelling. I'll take another look at it, but I'd not be very comfortable taking something that expensive with my on holidays.

Sorry misunderstood you.

Should be able to push an i3 with 8gb RAM for €550-600 and put €250 or so into the likes of a Chinese tablet, you'd get serious value for money

• Advertisement

What about the ability to type to a tablet? Bluetooth keboard or is there a neater solution like a tablet cover with built in keyboard...?

I can't imagine they'd be incompatible with a Bluetooth keyboard. Never tried one on mine though.

I'd say Microsoft have a patent on the build in covers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have a wonderful tablet and a wonderful laptop. Neither could replace the other.

Typing on the tablet is a pain. In fact typing on my phone is more comfortable. The tablet is for media, video, comics, pictures and light browsing.

I was you I'd get a decent laptop and a decent tablet.

Typing on the tablet is a pain
    This is the bit I'm trying to resolve.

Whats the likelihood of getting an 8" tablet casing with keyboard?

Has anyone tried any of the bluetooth keyboards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This is the bit I'm trying to resolve.

Why do you want to type on the tablet?

Anyone know when the ASUS Transformer Book T90 Chi is going be released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I have the Yoga Tab 10, I have to say I use it more than my 1 year old laptop. Only issue is 2gb of Ram but I have Office 365 on it and all my needs. Battery life is 15 hours and I have a 16,000 battery pack to do both phone and tablet.
    Typing on the lenovo keyboard which is blue tooth compatible is very good, I use an on the Go cable that allows me connect to the printer or a USB mouse.

I can even set it on a table and type on the keyboard from distance. If an when they upgrade the platform to a faster processor and 4gb of Ram this will be the bench mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi Funky Monkey
    Did you purchase yet?
    I'm looking at replacing an old laptop for my brother. This is based in a home office - so is not used as a laptop. Used for emails, booking flights browsing (maybe Netflix) etc.
    Considering an All-in-One PC as an option (saves space, large screen). So for me its the best value in PC v Laptop v All-in-One.

Shocked: Have to say I was a little taken aback at the prices on current units. PC World flogging Celeron & Pentium machines from €400 - €700. I got an acer i5 (touchscreen) for €549 about two years ago. So it seems to me prices have gone up.

Travelling: I would recommend a 10" tablet. You can get cases with keyboard for most units or as you already suggested a separate Bluetooth keyboard (you can even get foldable or roll-up versions). Loads available from €100 up

I recently got a Lenova 10" as a present and very happy with the performance (for browsing, facebook, emails, flight details etc. Cost €170 in Argos. Been to Spain twice in the last few months.

Let us know what you decide to go for and any good value out there?
    I'm considering the HP or Lenovo All in One options from PC World.

I've spent some more time looking at these in a shop.

I've also seen online that I can apps to run IDEs on Android - such as AIDE and C4droid. So that eases my fears about doing the programming on Android - which would probably only be a small protion of usage at best of time.

In the shop I noticed the Asus Transformer in more detail. I liked the look of them except the tablet has a large border/margin around the screen. Particularly I like the look of the T90 Chi or possibly the T100 Chi - even though it might be a bit on the big side. The T90 keyboard does not have a tracker pad.

From speaking to a friend we discussed that I could have a large screen (19" - 22") and bluetooth keyboard/mouse and connect the transformer to that as a full size option when wanting to work for long hours statically at home. Many of the reviews seem to be complaining about Win8.1 on these devices whereas my understanding that they are different beasts when running Win 10.

- Would the tranformer be suitable for that setup as basically a docked device?
    - Why is noone selling the Transformer T90 Chi? It is still on the Asus website. Looks like a good option for me.

My other option would be (if above was not feasible) to purchase a cheaper Android tablet/keyboard combo. In the shop I seen an Asus Zenpad 10 which had an amazing screen for £130. The other option would be their Zenpad 8 for £100 (Z380 - not Z580). I would then need to purchase a laptop for the occassions where I need the comfort/power of a larger machine.

It seems that Tesco are not releasing a Hudl3 anytime soon.

Thanks for all the advice so far. The info has been greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi,

Went ahead and purchased the All-In-One
    HP 23-q055na Touchscreen i5-4460T Processor, 8GB, 1 TB
    Will be collecting it on Friday (fully set-up with Windows 10, Office & McAfee, could have done myself but short on time and it's for my brother)
    AIO was €849 (still think was very expensive but seem to be on par with everything else out there - Lenovo C50)

Tablets - Can't really go wrong for browsing, movies, Netflix, email, social media etc.
    (My own view is to go mid-range, good quality, reasonably priced - as machines are going to improve and due to portability they are more susceptible to damage, loss and theft)

Advertisement