Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights Blown

Options
  • 23-09-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Put new LED's into 2 lights in kitchen - 4 per light. 10 mins after putting them in one blew, taking that whole light with it, even with the bulbs removed it would trip the fuse when switched on. Am now chatting to Lidl about this, they seem to think that I put the wrong type of bulb in. Can anyone here confirm that correct bulbs were installed? The pic of the packaging also has a sticker from the light fitting itself stuck to the right hand side. From what I can see I did put the correct (GU10) bulb into the the light.

Be grateful for any feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Firblog wrote: »
    Hi folks

Put new LED's into 2 lights in kitchen - 4 per light. 10 mins after putting them in one blew, taking that whole light with it, even with the bulbs removed it would trip the fuse when switched on. Am now chatting to Lidl about this, they seem to think that I put the wrong type of bulb in. Can anyone here confirm that correct bulbs were installed? The pic of the packaging also has a sticker from the light fitting itself stuck to the right hand side. From what I can see I did put the correct (GU10) bulb into the the light.

Be grateful for any feedback

Look like you used the wrong bulbs.

Original one was a 3w led bulb you replaced this with a 40w halogen multiply that by 4 as you say in your post and you easily exceeded the maximum rating of the light fitting 12watts which resulted in it probably melting the internal wiring as it was only rated for a small load.

Only on my mobile now but I'm sure some off the regulars will reply and explain it better than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

+1

Looks like you didn't replace leds with leds you used halogens and increased the load by about ten fold.

There might be a sticker on the light with a max wattage loading.

I've some fittings with 11W max load on them so I'd need to stick to CFL or leds below 11 w

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Firblog

Thanks for the responses lads, much appreciated.

I suppose what gets me is that the info on the light says GU10 bulbs, I put in that type of bulb and blew the lot.. Don't think that could happen with the screw in bulbs or the normal house bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Firblog wrote:
    I suppose what gets me is that the info on the light says GU10 bulbs, I put in that type of bulb and blew the lot.. Don't think that could happen with the screw in bulbs or the normal house bulbs?

It's a bit funny alright but you can use those stickers. You see them on electronic equipment a lot. Like don't open this device within 5 minutes of power down etc.

Advertisement