Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Egg?

Options
  • 24-09-2015 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Baking a cake and thankfully broke the eggs one by one into a dish before adding to cake mix. Found one of them to have a lot of blood in it so I dumped it down the sink. Never saw this before. Smelled ok, but was it rotten? It is definitely not out of date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

It's quite common, nothing wrong with the egg. If you come across it again, just use one of the pieces of egg-shell to scoop that bit out, then carry on as normal, that's all you need to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Janmaree, no way could I scoop it out. It wasn't a speck like I sometimes get, this was a PUDDLE of blood! Ugh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Has happened to me a couple of times...since then I've learnt to add eggs to a bowl rather than direct to cake mix even for all in ones. Turned my stomach though. Totally put me off eating eggs for a bit.

I can't afford to give up eggs as they make up a large part of my diet! So glad I saved the cake by using a separate dish for the eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

It's a sign of a good and fresh egg, nothing wrong; just the hassle of scooping it out. I usually weigh the eggs so it's never going straight into a batter or mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

Oddly enough I was just reading about this on a link in another thread about keeping chickens. Apparently it's normal enough and I've seen it myself when cooking omelettes but like others here it would put me off that particular egg so I would throw it rather than scoop it out if there was much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So what I'm talking about would be like what is in the photo on this link...the link is titled WARNING Graphic Egg Photo for a reason...

https://www.paleohacks.com/wtf/blood-in-my-pastured-egg-warning-graphic-egg-photo-included-3213

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

So what I'm talking about would be like what is in the photo on this link...the link is titled WARNING Graphic Egg Photo for a reason...

https://www.paleohacks.com/wtf/blood-in-my-pastured-egg-warning-graphic-egg-photo-included-3213

I knew I shouldn't look but I couldn't help myself :eek:

I'd have gagged if I'd seen that in my bowl. I always crack my eggs into a small bowl one at a time too, just in case.

Yep, exactly what I had this morning. Ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Sorry Jellybaby1, I didn't realise HOW much was involved, I've never come across it this bad before and we use a lot of eggs in our house! You've taught me something!!!

• Advertisement

Every day's a lesson! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

It looks like a bleed from the hen's oviduct as the egg was forming, so the blood ends up trapped inside. It's not that common but does happen occasionally. It's not harmful per se but certainly not inclined to make you want to eat it!

Cracking the eggs separately is no harm: I do it thanks to my mother's story of her sister cracking the last of a dozen eggs into a Christmas cake mix years ago, only to find the last one was rotten, and the whole lot had to go in the bin...

Hi Whistlejacket. "Hen's oviduct!" "Blood trapped inside!" Got it! Thank you for sharing! :D Strangely enough, I've really gone off eggs now. :D Yeugh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Blood from the oviduct makes perfect sense. Never seen an egg like that yet.

Advertisement