Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mattresses

Options
  • 24-09-2015 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I am writing this for a family member who does not have a boards account. They have tenants in a house and they have been there 18 months, last April they purchased them 3 new mattresses and at the weekend the tenants informed them that the mattresses were giving them a bad back and want the landlord to get them 3 more mattresses.

I am looking for advice on what they should do - they are also complaining that the dishwasher is not working, it wasn't working when they moved in and they knew this but now want a dishwasher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

So there's a broken dishwasher sitting in their kitchen? I wouldn't like that, would you? Its possible to get a second hand dishwasher for €100 euro or so. Or else remove the dishwasher altogether.

On the mattress front - were the mattresses purchased they the cheapest mattresses in the cheapest shop? I've been a renter for many years and bought my own mattresses and took them with me when I moved on. The crap quality (and often filthy and stained) mattresses we were expected to sleep on would shock you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Evil-p wrote: »
    So there's a broken dishwasher sitting in their kitchen? I wouldn't like that, would you? Its possible to get a second hand dishwasher for €100 euro or so. Or else remove the dishwasher altogether.

On the mattress front - were the mattresses purchased they the cheapest mattresses in the cheapest shop? I've been a renter for many years and bought my own mattresses and took them with me when I moved on. The crap quality (and often filthy and stained) mattresses we were expected to sleep on would shock you.

LLs cant buy second hand applicances, as they need receipts for their tax returns. You will need to buy a half decent dishwasher eg Bosch for it to last. You wouldnt have much change from €400. A LL doesnt have to provide a dishwasher. I think its unreasonable taking a place knowing it doesnt have one. Then expecting one to be brought

If you dont like the condition of the mattress,you can buy mattress protector. They are like €10. The stains arent from the LL, they are from tenant treating rental properties like they usually do. Which is pretty horrific. Irish Landlords often cant buy quality, as tenants dont look after the stuff. Why should OP spent a few hundred on a mattress to have it covered in stains by the time the tenants move out?

OP buy mattress from IKEA, they are longer lasting and often have removable covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The double mattresses from ikea are excellent quality, and easy to transport from the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

They were provided with new mattresses when they moved in. If they don't like them, that is their issue and they can go and buy their own. If it does not say that you are providing a dishwasher in the lease, then you could just remove it. As stated above, they are being unreasonable and if you keep giving in to their demands, they will continue to keep pushing for more and more to which they are not entitled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Im a tenant and I dont get these tenants.

1. Dishwasher - Yes, The dishwasher should be replaced by the landlord. If the dishwasher was broken before the tenants moved in, it should have been removed before the tenants moved in.

2. Mattress. If the Mattress were new last April and are of a standard Quality, If the tenant has an issue with them then the Tenant should buy one that suits there need.

People like a hard Mattress, People like a soft Mattress, Tenant should buy one that suits them as that's a luxury call and nothing to do with the Landlord.

Landlord can put the old mattress in storage or the tenant. Landlord shouldnt buy new ones to suit the tenants taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

The reason the dishwasher was left there is because it is intergrated and would leave a blank space in the kitchen, it was only a slim dishwasher and the tenants were informed that it wasn't in working order. They are going to replace it now.

The mattresses weren't cheap and the tenants had been in the house since April 2014 and they requested new mattresses in April 2015 which were given to them.

shoes34 wrote: »
    The reason the dishwasher was left there is because it is intergrated and would leave a blank space in the kitchen, it was only a slim dishwasher and the tenants were informed that it wasn't in working order. They are going to replace it now.

The mattresses weren't cheap and the tenants had been in the house since April 2014 and they requested new mattresses in April 2015 which were given to them.

If the house is in an area of high demand eg Dublin/Cork/Galway.I would tell them they can have a new dishwasher and mattress. But they will pay for it indirectly with a rent increase, as the LL is legally entitled to increase the rent after 12 months. Give them 2 options. What they want and a rent increase or it can stay as it is

Here is a Bosch slimline for €320
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-15-S40E22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 F412

They are out of order asking for another mattress I think. The dishwasher would be down to what they agreed on when moving it though I would think

Persoanlly I have always just used what ever mattress was provided in any of the houseshares I've been in, not like you are lying directly on it you have a sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

There's nothing in the Standards Regulations requiring a dishwasher(mechanical)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

There's nothing in the Standards Regulations requiring a dishwasher(mechanical)

I never said there was. Nor did I say they that replacing the dishwasher was the favorable option. What i did say is I would not appreciate a broken appliance sitting in my kitchen so if they would not replace it, they should remove it. Simple.

I really don't understand why landlords expect tenants to have a different standard of living to them. I know no one who would leave a broken appliance hanging around.

Rents are going up, demand has never been higher and landlords can suit themselves:(

• Advertisement

I never said there was. Nor did I say they that replacing the dishwasher was the favorable option. What i did say is I would not appreciate a broken appliance sitting in my kitchen so if they would not replace it, they should remove it. Simple.

I really don't understand why landlords expect tenants to have a different standard of living to them. I know no one who would leave a broken appliance hanging around.

Rents are going up, demand has never been higher and landlords can suit themselves:(

Whooooooaa! The punitive tax treatment of accommodation providers means that the minimum standard is all that's allowed for. No luxuries unless the tenant wants to provide them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It just depends on the place and price. If you are positioning this as good quality accommodation at a high-ish price you need good stuff and everything to be working.

As prices go up, the quality and service really need to go up too. You can skimp on these for a while but this is what you need to do if you plan to be in the business for the long term.

It just depends on the place and price. If you are positioning this as good quality accommodation at a high-ish price you need good stuff and everything to be working.

As prices go up, the quality and service really need to go up too. You can skimp on these for a while but this is what you need to do if you plan to be in the business for the long term.

Are you talking about the Dishwasher or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only thing to be wary about with the dishwasher is that once he has replaced it and provided a working one, he is now obliged to pay for call-outs to repair and service it. A broken dishwasher is costing him nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sounds like they are chancers. In fairness 18months to figure the mattresses are given them bad backs.

I would say to them that new mattresses were purchased for them on the first request, and they can go and get news ones at their own cost if they want to. Be sure and ask them to give the old mattresses back if they aren't using them.

Same goes for the dishwasher, if they want one they can get one since there must be already hook up and that for it there if there is an old broken one there already. I would say it would be nice to remove the old one if it is smelly and that...

But most certainly I would say do not give too much or they will keep asking and asking..

We rent and when I asked for new mattresses as the ones we had were crap (I mean springs coming through them) we were told to buy our own which we did, same goes for anything like this in the house..

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Dishwasher or both?

It is both really. Now, it depends on the place, the sort of rent we are talking about, and the sort of tenants you are dealing with.

It is both really. Now, it depends on the place, the sort of rent we are talking about, and the sort of tenants you are dealing with.

You see this is the issue

The Landlord bought 3 new mattresses last year

The Tenants say there backs are sore and want 3 more new mattresses this year. they are happy with the new ones.

Tenants move out next year and I move in and complain that the Mattresses are too hard.

Should the LL also replace them to suit me too?

It is really about the quality rather than the firmness of the mattress. If it is just a matter of taste, I completely agree with you. But if the mattresses are poor quality and wearing out that is a different thing.

And it also depends on the price. If they are paying 800 a month it's a whole different story from if they are paying two grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Not really rent is rent as such. The only thing that differs is what kinda of place you rent.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cant understand people defending the landlord regarding the broken dishwasher. The house the tenants are renting is their house, it is not a storage unit, it is not a recycling center, it is not a dumping ground. LL should at the very least remove the dishwasher. I'd find it stingy of the LL if they didnt replace it.

We recently moved into a new rental. It was the LLs first time renting and all her crap was left in the house (when we viewed we though this was the previous tenants stuff that would be cleared out before we moved in). Told the landlord to get rid of it all - she did.

As for the mattresses, ive slept on many a cheap new mattress. Going through all 3 mattresses in 18 months is excessive, though the dishwasher situation gives me mixed opinions on the LL. My mattress test has always been, if I can fold the mattress in 2 (sometimes 3) it needs to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The tenants have been there for 18 months & presumably are reasonable tenants. If I were the landlord I would provide a dishwasher but say no to replacing the second lot of mattresses after 6 months, having already done it once after 12 months of tenancy.

If they want to buy new ones themselves, then fine, they can take them with them when they leave, providing they leave the old ones behind. I would expect them to store the old mattresses if they replace them.

It doesn't take six months to work out if mattresses are causing bad backs. And really, all three people have bad backs because of the mattresses? That would be a no from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Fix the dishwasher and tell them to buy mattress toppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I am a tenant. The quality of beds and matresses landlords put in are awful. If the mattresses are cheap rubbishy ones the landlord should replace them. Although it may be a simple case of putting a sheet of wood between the mattress and bed to prevent it sagging. If they are good tenants the landlord should look after them. Unfortunatley most landlords are so tight. I also buy my own matress and bring it with me when I move house. No rented house I have ever lived in has ever had a ything but complete rubbish bed and mattresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Fix the dishwasher and tell them to buy mattress toppers.

Agree with this, I got one for 24 euro in Lidl a while back because the bed I bought was orthopaedic, which was too hard, works fine should solve the problem of hard matresses.

I am a tenant. The quality of beds and matresses landlords put in are awful. If the mattresses are cheap rubbishy ones the landlord should replace them. Although it may be a simple case of putting a sheet of wood between the mattress and bed to prevent it sagging. If they are good tenants the landlord should look after them. Unfortunatley most landlords are so tight. I also buy my own matress and bring it with me when I move house. No rented house I have ever lived in has ever had a ything but complete rubbish bed and mattresses.

Why should a LL spend a money on expensive mattress, when they have to be dumped every 2/3 years as the tenants heavily soil them. Landlords arent tight, they are business people. They will buy quality appliances for their own home, as they last as they look after them. Tenants treat rented properties like **** here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Can we ease off the sweeping generalisations about tenants and landlords please.

April 73 wrote: »
    The tenants have been there for 18 months & presumably are reasonable tenants. If I were the landlord I would provide a dishwasher but say no to replacing the second lot of mattresses after 6 months, having already done it once after 12 months of tenancy.

If they want to buy new ones themselves, then fine, they can take them with them when they leave, providing they leave the old ones behind. I would expect them to store the old mattresses if they replace them.

It doesn't take six months to work out if mattresses are causing bad backs. And really, all three people have bad backs because of the mattresses? That would be a no from me.

Landlords are not obliged to provide mechanical dishwashers.

Quiz: If a landlord buys a dishwasher today when would you expect the allowance for him to be fully refunded by revenue for this expense?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Landlords are not obliged to provide mechanical dishwashers.

The property is not a storage unit for broken appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

The property is not a storage unit for broken appliances.

As previously stated its an integrated dish washer, I would prefer a broken dishwasher be left there than having a gap in the cupboards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement