Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New playstation for basic gaming?

Options
  • 24-09-2015 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Excuse my naievty, but the last time I bought a playstation was in 1995 :rolleyes:
    20 years on and I am interested in buying a new PS simply to play Resident Evil again.

I still have the original RE 1,2 and 3 and would like to replay these but also try out 4,5 and 6.
    That is pretty much all I will use my new PS for, I know I will not download games online.
    Would buying the new PS4 be an absolute waste of money for my needs?
    I would prefer to buy new instead of secondhand so I have a guarentee if it breaks.

Any advice appreciated - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PS4 cannot play Res 1-6. The Res Evil HD remaster of the first game is out on PS4 though and is very, very good.

You need a PS3 to play Res 1-6. You have to download Res 1-4 on the PS3 as there are no physical copies.

Res 6 is pure muck btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

You need a PS3 to play Res 1-6. You have to download Res 1-4 on the PS3 as there are no physical copies.

Thanks, PS4 certainly not for me then.
    Why do they bring out a new PS that can't play old games?

I have the physical copies of Res 1-3, are you saying that PS3 will not play these discs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I have the physical copies of Res 1-3, are you saying that PS3 will not play these discs?

Oh actually I forgot the PS3 can play PS1 discs, it can't play PS2 discs except the first version of the PS3 console released.

On the PS4 Sony decided no one wants backwards compatibility anymore and that why we have all these remasters of old games.

Thanks - that's a great help.

Sorry - Last question!

I've seen this 12gb PS3 for €120, I don't really need 500gb do I?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Sorry - Last question!

Since you're only playing RE games, 12GB is enough.
    If you decide to download stuff, you will more than likely need to upgrade your HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

F1ngers wrote: »
    Since you're only playing RE games, 12GB is enough.
    If you decide to download stuff, you will more than likely need to upgrade your HD.

I picked up a 12GB a couple of years ago and I end up sticking a 500GB Hard drive into a couple of days after getting it - these days it's not going to set you back much. Most physical games need to install a certain amount of data onto your PS so your 12 GB gets eaten off very quickly. I had the loan of Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 when I had only 12 GB and I had to delete the installed game data of one to play the other - it was a total pain in the arse.

The Playstation store also has sales on the likes on the Resident Evil games on a semi-regular basis and they are sure to be on sale coming up to Halloween and this is where your 500GB come in handy. You can download the game direct to your PS and then just delete it when you're finished with it. I buy most of my games digitally because I'm picking up classics from the PS3 and usually picking them up for between €5-€10 so I'm not really buying them to sell them on after I'm finished with them.

Check out the likes Resident Evil Revelations, The Evil Within and Alien: Isolation if you like your horror games. Stay away from the likes of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - absolute muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Smyth's were selling the PS3 500Gb for 199 a few weeks back. 12Gb sounds fine but with game saves, and updates you might just start regretting it later and updating that HDD I think means you also have to buy a bracket.

You can also pick up PS2's dirt cheap in places like GameStop if they have them in stock. I did exactly that last year for 50E for a PS2 & controller... Just so I'd have full access to my PS1 and PS2 batch of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Sorry - Last question!

Not to add to your confusion, but if you purchased a second hand PS3 at CEX rather than Gamestop you will get a higher capacity version for the same price or only slightly more.

Thanks all, I'm going to go for a PS3 500gb.
    From no knowledge to plenty - thanks :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement