Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartathlon 2015; Friday 25th-Saturday26th September

Options
  • 24-09-2015 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

Last year's thread provided a lot of entertainment and this year's should do so even more.
    A lot of Irish (and adopted Irish) have travelled over to the race this year, including our very own Ultraman1 and everyone's favourite moderator TFBubendorfer. Also competing are semi regular boards posters Brian Ankers and Don Hannon as well as the evergreen Eddie Gallen and Irish Ultra regular and adopted Limerick man Thomas Kilmas.

The race starts tomorrow at 5am and the lads have 36 hours to make the 246km journey From Athens to the feet of the statue of Leonidas in Sparta.

The participant list is here
    Live tracking will be available here

Best of luck lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck to the Boardsies running!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Great to see so many Irish racing this. Best of luck to all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Not too many big ultra names (that I recognize, anyway) running this year. Mike Wardian is the standout, he won a 100 mile race just last month and was just outside the Western States 100 miler top 20 in June.

Come on you boys in green :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any chance Dean Karnazes is running again this year?
    I just want to see people beat him :D

Not too many big ultra names (that I recognize, anyway) running this year. Mike Wardian is the standout, he won a 100 mile race just last month and was just outside the Western States 100 miler top 20 in June.

Goin through the list and picking out the international level runners I recognise:

Eddie Gallen :)

Anderson Mimi 53 United Kingdom
    Wardian Michael 41 United States
    Bubendorfer Thomas 45 Austria :)
    Law Sharon 40 United Kingdom
    Robbins Pat 43 United Kingdom
    Cudin Ivan 40 Italy
    Chaigne Olivier 35 France
    Uzik Jan 40 Slovakia
    Falbo Traci 44 United States
    Barnes Pablo 39 Italy
    Reus Florian 31 Germany
    Martin-Consani Debbie 40 United Kingdom

That's plenty of ultra talent there! A long list of Japanese runners too, no doubt with one or two big guns in there. I'd agree with Mike Wardian looking like a contender. The world 24 hour champion has to have a little chance too, along with the defending spartathlon champion :) But its not a straightforward race, so anything can happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cabaal wrote: »
    Any chance Dean Karnazes is running again this year?
    I just want to see people beat him :D

Nah, he backed out after finishing 148th last year. It doesn't do his self proclaimed status as the world's fittest man any good to finish 12 hours behind the winner ;)

Here's a trailer to a film about last years race featuring UM1 at 3:25. https://vimeo.com/130293703

I think last year featured a lot more finishers than normal but it looks like it is very hot in Greece at the moment so there might be less this year...

There's a few sneaky hills in this one

sparty-elevation-chart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

F***, I can't sleep!

Both reigning 24 hrs world champions are here, as well as last year's winners. Two or three other contenders; Mike Wardian is actually an outside bet, it would be a surprise if he won.

Most of us have only one direct competitor, namely ourselves. The usual finisher rate is about 30%, and just making it to the finish within all the cut-offs is an achievement.

28 degrees tomorrow and 80% humidity (" that's bad " according to the Rd :) ), but conditions should improve tomorrow evening for anyone still in the game.

Better try again to get some sleep ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

F***, I can't sleep!

Both reigning 24 hrs world champions are here, as well as last year's winners. Two or three other contenders; Mike Wardian is actually an outside bet, it would be a surprise if he won.

Most of us have only one direct competitor, namely ourselves. The usual finisher rate is about 30%, and just making it to the finish within all the cut-offs is an achievement.

28 degrees tomorrow and 80% humidity (" that's bad " according to the Rd :) ), but conditions should improve tomorrow evening for anyone still in the game.

Better try again to get some sleep ...

Good luck!!! You guys are mega :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

menoscemo wrote: »
    There's a few sneaky hills in this one

sparty-elevation-chart.jpg

All uphill from 100k to 125, and apparently a mile at around 110 k is brutal. Then an actual mountain at 100 miles that does not even have a road and will have to be crossed in the middle of the night. And to top it all off a big climb from 190-210 k . Fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Best of luck man! What a thing to be part of, that's hero stuff right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

F***, I can't sleep!

Go put a towel on a sun lounger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lacedaemonian

Hi to everybody from Sparta

Few words for this year's race.Both 24h world champs and last year's winners(m/f) are running and there are many more world class runners as many Spartathlon "veterans".In fact i think that this year's race has the most talented field ever and many here share my opinion....Another interesting thing about this year is that it is the first time that there will be "live streaming" during the 36h race(u can follow it at the site of the race)...The weather (till now...)is not bad(not very hot as in 2013)but there is humidity as it was rainning the days before.Let's hope that it will not get worse so there will be an high % of finishers....380 Spartathletes from 50 countries(i think) is a new record for the race and the demand for getting in is growing year after year(the real reason they can't have more athletes is that all the hotels in Sparta and nearby are full so they don't have where to put the athletes and their crews.Last year the USA team stayed at Gythio-the port of Sparta-nearby the sea.Not bad at all if you want to relax after 246km...)....

Best of luck to all the athletes

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lacedaemonian

P.S. as the organizers notice ,there is a very clear trend the last 2 years.More and more of the volunteers(greeks and foreigners) at the C.P.'s and at the other posts that need to be manned are runners themselves....

the live tracker & the website don't seem to be working? anyone else able to get access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Firedance wrote: »
    the live tracker & the website don't seem to be working? anyone else able to get access?

nope nada:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I got access earlier - 5 Irish & Thomas safely through checkpoint 11 - times ranging from about 11.05 to 11.31 (as far as I can remember) . Can't access it atm

Edit - for later, is there more than 5 Irish ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Tracker working again but no further update on the Irish & Thomas. Think I remember from last year that it only updates at certain checkpoints ??

kit3 wrote: »
    Tracker working again but no further update on the Irish & Thomas. Think I remember from last year that it only updates at certain checkpoints ??

yeah looks that way, some of the checkpoints are highlighted on the list, looks like we wont see any updates till they go through CP 22, c'mon lads :)

Interesting to see Dan Lawson leading at the moment. I reckon that'll burn out when the hills hit.

Ivan Cudin running ahead of Florian Reus... Ivan isn't running as conservatively as he had indicated he would be pre-race.

Good to see Cork - based Jan Uzik giving it welly in 11th! (Winner of Belfast 24 hour last year).

All very early days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thomas through CP22, which is about 80k I think
    No Name Surname CP Date Time Country Sex
    195 Thomas Bubendorfer 22 2015-09-25 15:18:42 Austria Male

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Thomas through CP22, which is about 80k I think

CP 22 is the second checkpoint we will get an update on, it's at 81km. Eddie Gallen, TFB and Thomas Kilmas have all passed through in the last half hour, the other boys still have another 45 minutes. No panic, I know they are all planning to start slow and steady.

Brian Ankers just gone through 22

Don has gone through, but still no sign of Anto....

Don has gone through, but still no sign of Anto....

yeah still nothing, how is he for time?

yeah still nothing, how is he for time?

In theory he should have been through by 2:30 our time....

In theory he should have been through by 2:30 our time....

I thought that... he went through 11 with Don, maybe just an issue with the chip or something, hopefully.

I thought that... he went through 11 with Don, maybe just an issue with the chip or something, hopefully.

Sounds like he is gone. 19% have already dropped out by CP 22 apparently. It's gonna be a tough one this year by the looks of it.

Thomas Kilmas and Eddie gallen through CP 28 in 109th and 124th
    Cork Based Slovakian Jan Uzik is in 8th

• Advertisement

Jan is up to 6th at CP35.... holy feck!

Ivan Cudin now lurking in 2nd and likely to take the lead soon enough I would guess. Fairly consistant 5 minute gaps between the top 10. Good racing!

Hopefully the cooling as we head to the evening will help the Irish.

Advertisement