Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips Airfryer £69.99~€95 for the next 12 Hours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

mailburner wrote: »
    you'll regret getting the smaller one if you're feeding five
    unless the kids are very young I doubt very much you would get enough chips in it for all of ye
    i filled it and had enough chips for myself and two four year olds

had a tefal for a week it was find also in that the food tasted every bit as good
    how long it may last is another thing

Hi

The kids are very young - 2, 3 and 6. Also the childminder tends to give them their main meal so really its just myself and my husband in the evenings and I'm hoping that if we are making chips for the whole family (which wouldn't happen often) then because they cook fast, the 2nd batch will cook while we're eating the first - well that's my logic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭vulmac

highly1111 wrote: »
    Hi

The kids are very young - 2, 3 and 6. Also the childminder tends to give them their main meal so really its just myself and my husband in the evenings and I'm hoping that if we are making chips for the whole family (which wouldn't happen often) then because they cook fast, the 2nd batch will cook while we're eating the first - well that's my logic!!
    The Philips take about 20 minute for chips fresh and about 22 frozen. The Tefal takes about 28 minutes depending on quantity. The downside with the larger capacity in the Tefal is the more you put in the longer it takes and with large quantities of chips they tend to get mashed up with the paddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Hi

in that case go for it, you wont regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

mailburner wrote: »
    in that case go for it, you wont regret it
    Halogen ovens are often compared to the airfryers, think they have a bigger capacity and the cooking times are similar, halogen might be a few minutes longer but more versatile. There is probably better value around than the one in the link below, I got that one for €20 less a few weeks ago. Just to give you another option.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2268826.htm?cmpid=COJUN&storeId=10152&_%24ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A7708057&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.ie%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F2268826.htm&referrer=COJUN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Hi

I ordered the above yesterday but this one - http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/tefal-gh806115-actifry-plus-fryer-white/317448/396.2.9#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails

Is now the same price - its 1.2kg capacity vs the 0.8 with the Philips but doesn't have an adjustable thermostat. We're 2 adults and 3 young kids - am I mad getting the smaller one?? I've heard great things about the Philips one but very little about the tefal one??

The tefal one is also only in white which is putting me off!!

Any advise??

I was given an Actifry a couple of years ago. It's a great machine but, in my opinion, you're somewhat limited in what you can cook in it. The paddle has a tendency to break up anything delicate you put in it. Good for the likes of chips or sausages etc., but I'd imagine it would break up fish or larger food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The paddle in the actifrys isn't mandatory, you can remove it and it still cooks stuff, still prefer the Airfryer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

Hi

I ordered the above yesterday but this one - http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/tefal-gh806115-actifry-plus-fryer-white/317448/396.2.9#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails

Is now the same price - its 1.2kg capacity vs the 0.8 with the Philips but doesn't have an adjustable thermostat. We're 2 adults and 3 young kids - am I mad getting the smaller one?? I've heard great things about the Philips one but very little about the tefal one??

The tefal one is also only in white which is putting me off!!

Any advise??

My sister uses the airfryer for her family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids around the same ages as yours) she tends to just cook in batches and it suits her fine. Frozen chips cook quickly enough in it, about 12-15 mins for skinny chips, and usually in giving the kids their food first she then actually gets to eat hot food because the kids have finished most of theirs in the mean time and she doesn't have to leave her food to get them drinks, sauce etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

This is back in stock at £49.99 on Tesco Direct,only costs £3 for delivery (but I assume you have to use PM). Just got one there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Benzino wrote: »
    This is back in stock at £49.99 on Tesco Direct,only costs £3 for delivery (but I assume you have to use PM). Just got one there.

Showing as in stock, but once i add it to my basket it tells me they don't have any.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Techmaster wrote: »
    Showing as in stock, but once i add it to my basket it tells me they don't have any.. :(

Just checked there, and it now says it's out of stock and it's back to it's original price :( Looks like they only got a few back in stock this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

If anyone is looking for accessories for this they seem to be a nice bit bit cheaper on amazon.de.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B00BQT5Y0A/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
    (I got the 18,89 one from amazon)

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ITNG2RK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

There's a thread on BA to get a ten euros voucher if you buy a 40 gift voucher, it will pay for the postage. (i had to get a few extra bits i needed that took it to over E40+E9.50 post)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057531871

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Satriale wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for accessories for this they seem to be a nice bit bit cheaper on amazon.de.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B00BQT5Y0A/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
    (I got the 18,89 one from amazon)

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ITNG2RK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

There's a thread on BA to get a ten euros voucher if you buy a 40 gift voucher, it will pay for the postage. (i had to get a few extra bits i needed that took it to over E40+E9.50 post)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057531871

Thanks a lot for that, just ordered the double layer rack with skewers. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

6.90 for the cake tin is grand for the cake tin, but €16 for postage is a bit rich.

I bought 5 of them and will bang out the other 4 on adverts after Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Me too, lovley :)

I tried my first chicken breast in the air fryer today, seasoned it with Schwarz Chicken Herb and Spice Blend and slapped it in for 13 minutes without preheating.

Result: juicy, tender chicken fillet. :)

I can only imagine how good a Steak tastes!
    Next week for sure.

So I tried doing a second one to see if I could get it crispy, preheated for 3 mins, sliced the fillet in half width ways and slapped on for 15 mins.

Came out a bit dry and less tender.

Today's lesson:

Less is more in the Air Fryer!

• Advertisement

^^^

Whoops that post was destined for the non BA thread, my bad.

My cake tins arrived today. Here's a sneak peak of this brownie recipe. I think the grease proof stopped the heat getting at the top, so next time I'll just grease the tin. Smells great though.

I'll be banging them out on adverts soon, but if anyone on the thread wants one for €15 collected, then PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

stimpson wrote: »
    My cake tins arrived today. Here's a sneak peak of this brownie recipe. I think the grease proof stopped the heat getting at the top, so next time I'll just grease the tin. Smells great though.

I'll be banging them out on adverts soon, but if anyone on the thread wants one for €15 collected, then PM me.

Where are you located?

I'm in Dublin. PM Sent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its now part of the Buy-4-pay-for-3 range- aka if 4 people here get together you get 4 for £91 x 3 = £273 = £68.25 each

A bit messy having to club together- but its back at a very reasonable price again.........

• Advertisement

I've a couple of these cake tins left if anyone wants one cheap. They're going up on adverts tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Has anyone seen any more deals for these airfield. Looking to pick another one up.
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

padair wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any more deals for these airfield. Looking to pick another one up.
    P

There's a couple of new ones on Adverts asking 140 & 150, might be worth a cheeky bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

stimpson wrote: »
    I've a couple of these cake tins left if anyone wants one cheap. They're going up on adverts tomorrow.

Any of these left Stimson?

statto25 wrote: »
    Any of these left Stimson?

Yep. PM sent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

padair wrote: »
    P

None left in Airfield- apparently they were promotion stock in the run-up to Christmas- they won't be getting them back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Whats the better fryer lads ,the Philips in this thread or this Breville here,
    http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_325003502794_-1

?

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_325003502794_-1

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

?

All i know is the Philips one is the single greatest thing ive bought for my kitchen!

cronin_j wrote: »
    All i know is the Philips one is the single greatest thing ive bought for my kitchen!

Will it cook enough chips for 4 ppl ?

Its only 0.8l of space so 4 people would be pushing it I think. Its a mini fan oven that cooks meat to perfection in half the time of a conventional oven with half the mess which makes it the best thing I ever bought for the kitchen, dont know why they made chips the central focus of the marketing, potato done in hot air is never going to taste as good as potato done in a deep fat fryer. It does do onion rings, chicken nuggets, spring rolls, frozen burgers etc as good as or better than the fryer though, way cleaner taste of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Thargor wrote: »
    dont know why they made chips the central focus of the marketing, potato done in hot air is never going to taste as good as potato done in a deep fat fryer/QUOTE]

They aren't as nice as a deep fat fryer but are nicer and easier than oven cooking them.

Yeah oven chips definitely come out of it better than the oven alright and nearly as good as the chipper but Ive never done good home made chips from mine. fish and chips in 15 minutes cooked to perfection every Friday though, these chips:

297438.jpg?v=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Yeah oven chips definitely come out of it better than the oven alright and nearly as good as the chipper but Ive never done good home made chips from mine. fish and chips in 15 minutes cooked to perfection every Friday though, these chips:

297438.jpg?v=4

What I do is typically more like potato cubes instead of chips which can come out lovely and crispy. Or else sweet potato fries can be really nice from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nope, original 0.8L that started this thread.

Nope, original 0.8L that started this thread.

Thank you. That should be more than big enough for two adults I'd assume?

• Advertisement

Depends what you're cooking, definitely plenty to do the meat for 2 adults.

Depends what you're cooking, definitely plenty to do the meat for 2 adults.

Either chips or wedges and the meat in the oven or the meat in the Actifry with rice or mash or something.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Is it worth buying this for a family of six? Would it be big enough?

Ive spotted one in Currys (on phone so cant link) that e109. Would i be correct in saying that its a newer model of the one on Amazon.

Really thinking of going for it if i wouldnt have to be cooking 3 or 4 baskets full every time.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

Ive never done nice home made chips in mine either, anyone any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

largepants wrote: »

Ive spotted one in Currys (on phone so cant link) that e109. Would i be correct in saying that its a newer model of the one on Amazon.

Really thinking of going for it if i wouldnt have to be cooking 3 or 4 baskets full every time.

Thanks.

This is the newer model in Currys - http://www.currys.ie/Product/philips-hd923020-viva-airfryer-ink-black/322950/408.0

It's €109 and will be the one I am going to go for. It's a pity they have none in stock in the shops in Jervis or Liffey Valley for store pickup though :-( Home delivery does is not coming up as an option for this one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

largepants wrote: »

Thanks.

I'd say not.. There's an xl model, someone linked to a deal on the German Amazon site earlier in the thread, which would be more suitable..
    Have to say, they're fantastic - haven't used my oven since I got it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What's cleaning it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I'd say not.. There's an xl model, someone linked to a deal on the German Amazon site earlier in the thread, which would be more suitable..
    Have to say, they're fantastic - haven't used my oven since I got it :)

I got my XL model from amazon.de for €177 during black friday. Like you, I haven't used my oven once since I got it!

Depends what you are cooking, but it could have room for 6 people. Chips for 6 shouldn't be a problem. It'd fit 5 regular-sized burgers if that is what you wanted to make.

Cleaning: Easy. I put the basket/tray into the dish washer.

Philips have a guide for cleaning the element, which I have done once since I got it. It was easy enough.
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=HD9220/20&dct=QAD&faqview=1&mid=Link_FAQs&refnr=0108569&scy=AA&slg=ENG&view=aa12_view_partial.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

Splash of oven pride and a lash of boiling water leave it soak and then just give it a wipe out & that's after cooking a steak, I don't clean it after cooking chips on their own as there isn't really any need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

What's cleaning it like?
    Piece of pee. 2 items ( Basket and surround ), into dishwasher. Job done. Alternatively, warm water & WU liquid. Simple. I've been lining the bottom of the unit (not the basket) with a layer of tin foil lately, almost negating the need to clean it after every use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

madmoe wrote: »
    This is the newer model in Currys - http://www.currys.ie/Product/philips-hd923020-viva-airfryer-ink-black/322950/408.0

It's €109 and will be the one I am going to go for. It's a pity they have none in stock in the shops in Jervis or Liffey Valley for store pickup though :-( Home delivery does is not coming up as an option for this one!!

That is a much better deal, more precise with temp and timer than the amazon model. Wish I had that updated version.

And a double layer accessory?? No competition!

• Advertisement
Advertisement