Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPL-T (iOS, Simogo)

Options
  • 24-09-2015 2:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Simogo - the folks behind Year Walk, Device 6 and The Sailor's Dream, and one of my favourite game developers working at the moment - are back with something a little different.

Whereas the three games mentioned above were all narrative-led experiences with inventive interfaces, SPL-T - which received a surprise release yesterday - is a minimalist puzzle game. And minimalist it is - black, white and grey are the only colours you'll come across here, and the game involves cutting up a completely black playing field into chunks.

It is, unsurprisingly, brilliant. The mechanics are simple to grasp yet as far as I can tell hugely challenging to master. You effectively 'split' a playfield in to as many segments as you can, turns alternating between horizontal and vertical splits. Split an area into four equal parts and they're assigned a number (the current number of splits) after which they disappear, but cannot be split themselves until they do. You can speed up the countdown by having them 'drop' ala Tetris by clearing the segments below them. But the score system is based on how many active numbers there are, and the more there are the less space you have available to split.

Yes, it's pretty confusing to explain, but the basic rules make sense after a few tries. It's then that the fun begins as you try to figure out what strategies work and which don't.

It reminds me of Threes in a way - not as accessible or stylish, but every bit as compulsive :) Love the humourous tone they've adopted for the marketing too:

Advertisement