Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Options
  • 24-09-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Since both my local Tescos (Cork) have stopped stocking Nando's Extra Hot Peri Peri sauce, I resorted to buying a bottle of Frank's Red Hot Sauce last night, but it's not clear from the bottle whether it's suitable as a dipping sauce, or is a cooking sauce only. I liked to pour the Nando's out on my plate a la tomato ketchup and dip my chips in, is Frank's the same sort of idea?

Also, any extra hot sauce aficionados out there who can recommend any of the various sauces I see on my Tesco shelf like the Heinz Peri Peri and I think I spotted a Sriracha sauce there last time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Frank's is quite loose so if you're using it as a dip, put it in a bowl rather than on a plate. Personally I love it on its own but a lot of people find it too vinegary, so you could also mix it with butter/margarine (to make Buffalo sauce), yoghurt, sour cream, mayonnaise etc.

We're total Frank's addicts in our house. It's great with eggs (either on top of or scrambled into), mixed into baked beans, in quesadillas, I incorporate it into countless recipes. The possibilities are pretty much endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I love Franks and it is my default for pretty much everything! It goes into dips, as a dip, and i throw a little into a great deal of things i cook for a little background heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Franks is delicious, but it's not a ketchup type consistency. Did you mention you'd bought a bottle? Maybe pour some out to see? It's the same type of consistency as Tabasco.

I'd tend to put it on and in things but not dip things into it, unless I pour it into a little bowl.

Sriracha is thicker, sweeter and also very delicious

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Frank's is good as an ingriedient, but I wouldn't use it the way I would a good hot sauce. Sriracha is my go to hot sauce for everything from omelettes to fried rice.

Have you tried making your own hot sauce? It's surprisingly easy

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Blue Bar in Skerries used to (and probably still do) offer a menu item called "Louisiana Chips or something along those lines. It was basically a plate of chips with a side ramekin of Louisiana Hot Sauce which was quite like Franks overall. The difference was that the sauce had a more ketchup like consistency. I don't know it it was supplied like that or Blue thickened it but I'm thinking it was supplied in that form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Franks is vinegary as said and intended for buffalo wings. It is very mild too, one complaint I often see is simply about the name, there is extra hot franks. I like it mixed with mayo and/or ketchup for a chips or chicken nuggets etc.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253278214
    this is your nandos
    Ingredients

Water, White Vinegar, Salt, Lemon (5%), Spices (including African Bird's Eye Chilli), Serrano Chilli, Onion (3%), Vegetable Oil (Sunflower Seeds), Stabilisers (Xanthan Gum, Propylene Glycol Alginate), Garlic, Antioxidant (Calcium Disodium EDTA)

this is franks

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263886118
    Ingredients

Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Vinegar, Water, Salt, Garlic Powder
    I like franks as its so flavoursome. A lot of these ultra hot sauces are just pure heat to me. When they are diluted down with mayo or ketchup they simply taste hot to me, like some chemical.

Ingredients are listed in order of greatest, you can see franks is mainly cayenne peppers.

You can also see the nandos has less than 5% "spices", they sneakily avoid revealing how much birds eye chilli is used at all, there may be only a hint of chili in that "spices" list. The the serrano chili must be over 3% as onions are next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Thanks folks. The impression I'm getting is what I originally suspected: bang it INTO things, rather than ONTO things. That's fine and good to know. I'll pop into Tesco's and see if there's anything more suitable. I think this is the sriracha I spotted at the weekend:

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=289347162

Probably more suited for dipping...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Sriracha would be more suitable for dipping. I like the flying goose brand but might have to go to an Asian shop to get it. I liked Frank's as well but would probably try mixing it with mayo to get more of a dipping sauce.
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_sop=10&_nkw=flying+goose+sriracha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

corblimey wrote: »
    Thanks folks. The impression I'm getting is what I originally suspected: bang it INTO things, rather than ONTO things. That's fine and good to know.

I put franks onto lots of things - it's great on cheese & toast, on eggs, on wings, avocado etc. It's just not ideal for dipping anything into, without a ramekin, because it's very liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

it's great on cheese & toast, on eggs, on wings, avocado etc

...beans, bangers, bacon, burgers, fish fingers, a-fish fingers!...

(sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my go to hot sauce these days is a mix of Sriracha and Cholula.

I find that whilst Sriracha give s a nice tip of your tongue tingle, Cholula seems to go for the back of your mouth, and the two combined is heavenly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Got the idea here but I do chicken drumsticks then use a mix of franks with melted butter as a dip. Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i do thighs instead of wings with my franks/butter.

take the bone out, lay it flat and slice into thirds, flour and deep fry as normal. same type of dark chicken meat and crispy skin (and size) as a winglet, but no bones to nibble around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Sriracha is awesome. As is franks. Get both.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

vibe666 wrote: »
    my go to hot sauce these days is a mix of Sriracha and Cholula.

I find that whilst Sriracha give s a nice tip of your tongue tingle, Cholula seems to go for the back of your mouth, and the two combined is heavenly! :)

Where do you get your Cholula?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Frank's Xtra Hot is just hotter; I don't think it has that lovely tangy flavour.
    Original Frank's is just amazing..like previous posters said, it's fab on eggs, (I like it sprinkled on boiled eggs) and just gorgeous on wings or drumsticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup, eggs.
    I'm addicted to Frank's on a good omelette.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Hi there
    Franks Red Hot Sauce is stunning. My mother bought it a year ago in Tesco in Douglas. I had it with chicken and it was beautiful. Yes I would highly recommend buying it in any Tesco in Cork. You can also mix it with mayonise to serve as a dip with chicken goujons and chips or with some Greek style natural yoghurt to serve with tortilla chips as nibbles when friends and family call.

Advertisement