Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Locking Up - Then Bluescreens

Options
  • 24-09-2015 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

Right so i'm losing my mind.

Computer started locking up about 2 months ago. Then it bluescreens. This happens at random times.

Initially I though Windows was acting up, so I reinstalled. - Same Issue.

Then I thought it was my old SSD. So i swapped it out for a regular HDD I had lying around. Ran the computer for over a month on this and concluded it was the SSD that was going. Bought a new SSD, Reinstalled. Same issue

Maybe its the ram. Took 1 stick out, computer ran fine for a whole evening.
    Checked other stick, computer ran fine for a whole evening.
    Put both sticks in, Issue reoccurs.

Later tonight I'm going to check the CPU temps as the computer is in use as maybe its overheating.

Is there anything else I can check?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Korvanica wrote: »

Then I thought it was my old SSD. So i swapped it out for a regular HDD I had lying around. Ran the computer for over a month on this and concluded it was the SSD that was going. Bought a new SSD, Reinstalled. Same issue

Maybe its the ram. Took 1 stick out, computer ran fine for a whole evening.
    Checked other stick, computer ran fine for a whole evening.
    Put both sticks in, Issue reoccurs.

So would that not point to an issue with the SSD or one of your RAM sockets?
    Perhaps it's not the SSD itself but rather an issue with the controller or maybe something needs to be adjusted in the BIOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Are you doing anything in particular when it locks up? Is there a video running? What are the temps like when it locks up?
    Have you looked in the event viewer to see what the BSOD dump says is causing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

With two sticks the ram might be running in a different mode which might be more sensitive to some failure than running just one. Either of the ram, the socket, or something on the motherboard. It doesn't sound like the SSD. Can you test the ram in another machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Do you get an error code on the blue screen?

Advertisement