Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Irish at second level

Options
  • 24-09-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone,
    After a bit of thought and jumping from one language to another, I've decided that should I return to uni to become a qualified second level teacher, its got to be: Irish and English!
    Have been on the forum before asking for advise as to what languages to pick (As I've a bit of everything..German, Italian, French etc). I LOVE languages, and learn them for fun (nerd alert I know).
    So I'm hoping people can be of advise to be again. A number of people have advised me that of the languages Irish is the one your most likely to get a job out of. And while I've no reason to think otherwise (considering the time and expense involved in returning to uni)...I need to be sure. I certainly know that if I was good at science or math (I very much as not!) that regardless of the fact that I wouldn't enter the job market until about 2023...there would still be a high demand for my skills. Looking a few years ahead, do you think Irish teachers will still be in demand and to what extent? I understand its the most useful language (job wise) at the moment but in 10 years time? Hard to say I know.

Advertisement