Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Irish at second level

• 24-09-2015 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone,
    After a bit of thought and jumping from one language to another, I've decided that should I return to uni to become a qualified second level teacher, its got to be: Irish and English!
    Have been on the forum before asking for advise as to what languages to pick (As I've a bit of everything..German, Italian, French etc). I LOVE languages, and learn them for fun (nerd alert I know).
    So I'm hoping people can be of advice to be again. A number of people have advised me that of the languages Irish is the one your most likely to get a job out of. And while I've no reason to think otherwise (considering the time and expense involved in returning to uni)...I need to be sure. I certainly know that if I was good at science or math (I very much as not!) that regardless of the fact that I wouldn't enter the job market until about 2023...there would still be a high demand for my skills. Looking a few years ahead, do you think Irish teachers will still be in demand and to what extent? I understand its the most useful language (job wise) at the moment but in 10 years time? Hard to say I know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well assuming Irish remains a compulsory subject at second level up to Leaving Cert then the same need for Irish teachers will exist. Beyond that I doubt anyone could predict the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 id0ntkn0w

Thanks for your reply. On the one hand it makes sense, but also since a lot of people take Honours Irish at leaving cert, how come there is a shortage...my only guess is that when they are picking uni subjects...unless someone knows they want to teach Irish, then their unlikely to study it...maybe some are just so sick of Irish at that stage? Pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

id0ntkn0w wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. On the one hand it makes sense, but also since a lot of people take Honours Irish at leaving cert, how come there is a shortage...my only guess is that when they are picking uni subjects...unless someone knows they want to teach Irish, then their unlikely to study it...maybe some are just so sick of Irish at that stage? Pity

I don't think it would be correct to link the number taking HL Irish and the lack of Irish teachers. Lots of people take HL English and don't do English degrees. I did HL Irish for Leaving Cert. I had no interest in it whatsoever, but I had enough ability for HL.

Realistically you are talking about a language that the vast majority do not use on a daily basis, and again the vast majority will never use again once they leave school. It doesn't matter what level they are taking when that is the reality.

There's a certain amount of work in media, publishing, civil service, government jobs etc that would make use of Irish, not to mind perhaps people working in Gaeltacht. So even from those that do study it, not all will want to teach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

No one can give you predictions of what the jobs market will be like in the guts of 10 years time. All we can say is that right now jobs are few and far between but there seem to be more available in Irish than other areas

Advertisement