Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World groups for guys in Cork

Options
  • 24-09-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Ok delicate subject but I have this ahem...friend who needs to lose a few pounds :rolleyes: tried a few diets but everyone is recommending Slimming World. I'm just wondering if anyone knows or has experience of a 'man' friendly group in Cork - preferably near Douglas.

I know there are a couple around here & a new one opening in Nemo shortly (which would sort my cover :cool:) but any experience of groups would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

I have no idea what Slimming world is and I doubt everyone is recommending it to be honest. If i were your friend I would pop into a gym and speak to one of the trainers, they can give advice on diet and exercise. Baby steps at the start of course if exercise is new to the person.Trying to lose weight with just diet alone requires incredible discipline. I'm no expert mind you but I would for sure talk to someone in a gym, there are loads in Cork now
    Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah now I don't know about that... I'd say 90% of weight loss is what you (don't) eat.

Slimming world, I'd afraid I've no experience. My makey-up plan for after pregnancies was the 5:2 or 6:1 fasting with calorie counting along with couch to 5k running with baby and the 30 day shred youtube videos for 20 mins of lepping about in the living room. (which did work, but the fasting possibly gave me gallstones, and you probably need to be on maternity leave to have the time to do it).

Or my even worse one in college was my Polo Mint diet, where for one day of the week I'd eat a single packet of polo mints for the whole day on monday to offset weekends of drinking and 3am kebabs. That also worked for weight loss, but obviously those plans are not advisable for anyone with their head screwed on properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As far as diets go, slimming world isn't a bad one. There is a strong emphasis on eating vegetables, home cooking and non processed foods. I haven't done it but my OH has, one thing I don't understand is how you can eat unlimited pasta, white potato and rice basically the junk carbs.

My advice would be as someone who decided to change their lifestyle back in Feb, is join a gym - get in 3 hours exercise per week and eat balanced meals. Cut out the sugar, butter, oil, bread, white pasta, white rice and potatoes. Make friends with sweet potato, the weight will fall off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Appreciate all the good advice and all that and under normal circumstances I'd be following it, but due to a back injury the gym is totally out unless I want to risk spending my days in a wheelchair & just to add to the fun, dietary requirements also rule out many of the eating plans.

SW was recommended by my GP as it meets my requirements, so it really was a request in case anyone had experience locally rather than a general get fit query.

Appreciate the thought though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Andip wrote: »
    Appreciate all the good advice and all that and under normal circumstances I'd be following it, but due to a back injury the gym is totally out unless I want to risk spending my days in a wheelchair & just to add to the fun, dietary requirements also rule out many of the eating plans.

SW was recommended by my GP as it meets my requirements, so it really was a request in case anyone had experience locally rather than a general get fit query.

Appreciate the thought though :)

Andip, I'm pretty sure any of the slimming world groups would be man friendly! They aren't anti - men! It just so happens that a lot of the people that go to these meetings are women, doesn't mean men aren't welcome. Would you feel uncomfortable going to one if there were no other men? I get that I suppose, I'd feel the same if it was the other way around! Perhaps ring up the leader of the group in your area and ask? They might know of a group that's mainly men or else they might tell you if there are many men in that group. There is always the online option also.

• Advertisement

I asked my wife there she said she has seen men in the douglas meetings but not the togher one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

leahyl wrote: »
    Andip, I'm pretty sure any of the slimming world groups would be man friendly! They aren't anti - men! It just so happens that a lot of the people that go to these meetings are women, doesn't mean men aren't welcome. Would you feel uncomfortable going to one if there were no other men? I get that I suppose, I'd feel the same if it was the other way around! Perhaps ring up the leader of the group in your area and ask? They might know of a group that's mainly men or else they might tell you if there are many men in that group. There is always the online option also.

From what I hear they are all pretty welcoming, just be nice to have another guy there to chat with. As it happens, decision made as it turns out there's only one Saturday group locally and that's the Nemo one which suits me. I phoned and apparently there are two guys signed up for it so all boxes ticked

Thanks again for the help on this one

From what I hear they are all pretty welcoming, just be nice to have another guy there to chat with. As it happens, decision made as it turns out there's only one Saturday group locally and that's the Nemo one which suits me. I phoned and apparently there are two guys signed up for it so all boxes ticked

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Best of luck Andip!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Ok delicate subject but I have this ahem...friend who needs to lose a few pounds :rolleyes: tried a few diets but everyone is recommending Slimming World. I'm just wondering if anyone knows or has experience of a 'man' friendly group in Cork - preferably near Douglas.

I know there are a couple around here & a new one opening in Nemo shortly (which would sort my cover :cool:) but any experience of groups would be gratefully received.

I know a guy in Holland and Barrett who will do a Diet Plan and some Personal Training if you have access to a Gym.
    I did a couple of sessions with him and found him to be a proper Gentleman

• Advertisement
Advertisement