Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S and S Query

Options
  • 24-09-2015 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi there! I've been teaching in England this past year. This is my first year full time teaching in Ireland so I'm new to the whole croke park hours and s and s.

This past few weeks I've been called for s and s and when I asked about s and s frequency with other teachers some of them said they were rarely asked to do it! Whilst for me I've been asked to do it every week since I started!

Now, my question is - is there a system to it? As in is it purely down to chance that you have a free and no one else is or is done in alphabetical order or is how long you've been in the school - the longer your off the hook?

Also is there a certain amount of hours you reach when you are no longer obliged to do any more? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

schools are supposed to run a rota.
    The whereabouts of this rota is one of the great unsolved mysteries in most schools.

Do you have access to eportal or vsware... you should be able to find out what other teachers are on-call the same time as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you are on full hours you can be asked to do 43 hours a year. You have to nominate up to 10 slots on your timetable and management choose 5 of them where you can be called to cover and you should not be called in any other slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ollygolf

If you are on full hours you can be asked to do 43 hours a year. You have to nominate up to 10 slots on your timetable and management choose 5 of them where you can be called to cover and you should not be called in any other slot.
    Is 43 including lunchtime supervision etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ollygolf wrote: »
    Is 43 including lunchtime supervision etc?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Our rota is openly displayed in the staff room and we are all called in a reasonable rotation, we got a breakdown of how much we all had done at the end of May last year and we were all reasonably close to running out of time, but no one actually had.
    We nominate our supervision periods, then 9 classes and get picked for 5, not necessarily in our preferred order !!!
    It is also pro rata OP so you should only be doing the max if you are on reasonably full hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    The whereabouts of this rota is one of the great unsolved mysteries in most schools.

Is it? There have been no motions at the union conferences regarding abuse of the s&S system or lack of clarity.

There's a circular letter on it to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

solerina wrote: »
    Our rota is openly displayed in the staff room and we are all called in a reasonable rotation, we got a breakdown of how much we all had done at the end of May last year and we were all reasonably close to running out of time, but no one actually had.
    We nominate our supervision periods, then 9 classes and get picked for 5, not necessarily in our preferred order !!!
    It is also pro rata OP so you should only be doing the max if you are on reasonably full hours

God that sounds brilliant. No transparency in our school whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We have a rota displayed but we also have lots of people doing well over 43 hours and many doing timetabled classes as S&S.

All you can do OP is keep a record and highlight to DP or principal when you reach 43 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Is it? There have been no motions at the union conferences regarding abuse of the s&S system or lack of clarity.

There's a circular letter on it to be fair.

So are you saying that every school makes the rota publically available to all teachers?

But yes, you're right it should be a motion.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    So are you saying that every school makes the rota publically available to all teachers?

But yes, you're right it should be a motion.

If you read my post you'd see that I asked a question. You stated that it was a mystery in most schools. I expressed surprise that there hadn't been any issue around it that I had heard of.

There should only be a motion if there's a problem, there should be no problem if schools follow the circular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Rota posted in staff room in our school. I thought you had 5 nominated periods but could only get called for max 3 of them in any given week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Rota posted in staff room in our school. I thought you had 5 nominated periods but could only get called for max 3 of them in any given week?

I think this is accurate..you can only be called for a max of 3...I have been called a few times to do twice in one week, never ever 3 times...I have never seen our P or DP do any classroom supervision what so ever (they do their share on the corridor though) the rest of us are never called over and above whats allowed, we are lucky in that respect anyway !!

solerina wrote: »
    I think this is accurate..you can only be called for a max of 3...I have been called a few times to do twice in one week, never ever 3 times...I have never seen our P or DP do any classroom supervision what so ever (they do their share on the corridor though) the rest of us are never called over and above whats allowed, we are lucky in that respect anyway !!

Its a maximum of three hours per week combined supervision and substitution.

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0006_2014.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

We have a rota displayed but we also have lots of people doing well over 43 hours..

More fool them.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Thanks for everyone's reply! I shall be keeping track of my hours. It just annoys me that there seems to be no clarity in who does what in my school. I hate thinking that some of us are being used and abused more than other people in school.

I don't think my school is very much on top of things with CP hours we've a number of after school 2 hour meetings every second week for the next few weeks. We also have after school detention slots as well that are considered CP hours too!

Thanks for everyone's reply! I shall be keeping track of my hours. It just annoys me that there seems to be no clarity in who does what in my school. I hate thinking that some of us are being used and abused more than other people in school.

I don't think my school is very much on top of things with CP hours we've a number of after school 2 hour meetings every second week for the next few weeks. We also have after school detention slots as well that are considered CP hours too!

It sounds as if the staff is not being very assertive in standing up to management. You need to get together as a staff and do something about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Elenorrigby

Can I ask if any school has a provision under s&s for teachers who are pregnant or just back from illness/operations. Can a teacher refuse to do s&s?

Can I ask if any school has a provision under s&s for teachers who are pregnant or just back from illness/operations. In our school one teacher is pregnant and struggling, she has 12 more weeks to go. She is expected to do her break and lunch and s&s and has covered two classes most weeks, yet is obviously struggling. Is there anything which allows her to be excused from s&s duties or can she refuse to do it?
    You can ask, but I doubt if you'd get very far. If you are fit for work, you are fit for work. If you're not, you need to be out on a sick cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Rota or no rota, everyone should keep a record of hours done and remind management when approaching the limit. It's bad enough that it's unpaid besides going over the hours.

Advertisement