Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To Education Allowance & Work Placement

Options
  • 24-09-2015 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

first thread on this site, im stuck for information on the topic. currently im claiming back to education allowance as im a third level student in my 3rd year. as part of my college modules i have to do a 5-6 month( from january 2016 onward) work placement which will be more then likely paid. now i have no problem at all signing of the dole and not claiming BTEA while im working, however does anybody know if i can claim for it again when i return to college after the placement? i have to end the placement roughly in august as i will have to return to college to complete my studies in order to be awarded my degree. im worried this will clash with the fact ill be getting paid and all because if i dont get the BTEA again for the start of 4th year i will have no income at all. thanks in advance guys, any information provided, ill be very grateful :)

Ross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

If your placement is a module on your course, you get a letter stating this, start/end date and claim btea while on placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rossd2015

getting the letter would be no problem as it is a legit part of the course, i didnt know i would be allowed claim while im on it now ? so it would be no problem claiming it when i enter 4th year aswell i guess? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

No problem claiming while on your placement, some are part paid, most non paying, once you bring in the letter they continue to pay till the end of your placement then when your back in college you bring in your letter to say your registered in 4th year and payments resume.

brilliant, thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Drezden

rossd2015 wrote: »
    brilliant, thanks for the help :)

Hey Ross

Did you end up getting sorted for this? Are you going to be receiving both payments from the BTEA and work placement until you start 4th year?

I've work placement next year from March until September as part of my course, and just wanted to be completely sure that I'll be getting both payments.

• Advertisement

Drezden wrote: »
    Hey Ross

Did you end up getting sorted for this? Are you going to be receiving both payments from the BTEA and work placement until you start 4th year?

I've work placement next year from March until September as part of my course, and just wanted to be completely sure that I'll be getting both payments.

Well at the moment i just finished my second week at my new job, so far ive got my payments and the social welfare sent me out a letter which basically said i had to prove i was still in college, you get that letter after every semester , so i got that stamped and sent it in. Im not getting paid by the job until the end of febuary as its monthly pay, overall its looking good but i will update when i get paid by the company . I reckon the moment i pay tax on my wages the social will get in touch with me , but im ready for them as i have copies of all the documents and stuff.

Anyway ill update this when i get paid, good luck with your course ☺

Well at the moment i just finished my second week at my new job, so far ive got my payments and the social welfare sent me out a letter which basically said i had to prove i was still in college, you get that letter after every semester , so i got that stamped and sent it in. Im not getting paid by the job until the end of febuary as its monthly pay, overall its looking good but i will update when i get paid by the company . I reckon the moment i pay tax on my wages the social will get in touch with me , but im ready for them as i have copies of all the documents and stuff.

Anyway ill update this when i get paid, good luck with your course ☺

Grand stuff. Thanks for the info and the upcoming update, I'll keep an eye for it. Good luck with your placement and course as well man :)

You know the letter you have to get at the start of the year for the BTEA which states the start and end dates for your course? Did your college give you dates that include the duration of your work placement (as in right round to next august) or was was your end date put as January?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

I'm just back in college from my 3rd year work placement which was from July to December. I received BTEA for the six months. Once it's a part of your course it's no hassle.

I got a letter from the college stating that the placement was an integral part of my course and what dates I would be on placement. When I finished in January I just went in to the social welfare with standard college letter to let them know I was back into college.

shawki wrote: »
    I'm just back in college from my 3rd year work placement which was from July to December. I received BTEA for the six months. Once it's a part of your course it's no hassle.

I got a letter from the college stating that the placement was an integral part of my course and what dates I would be on placement. When I finished in January I just went in to the social welfare with standard college letter to let them know I was back into college.

Were there any deductions made to your BTEA based on your work placement pay? Or did you just get the same amount that you usually got during the college year?

Drezden wrote: »
    Grand stuff. Thanks for the info and the upcoming update, I'll keep an eye for it. Good luck with your placement and course as well man :)

You know the letter you have to get at the start of the year for the BTEA which states the start and end dates for your course? Did your college give you dates that include the duration of your work placement (as in right round to next august) or was was your end date put as January?

Yeah the college stated that it was an integral part of my course , if you dont do it you fail , they accepted that , but the socaial still never gave me a straight yes or no answer , nobody seems to knownin the place i feel like im the first person to ever so this ! 😂

• Advertisement

shawki wrote: »

Good to hear that ! Did you have any hassle getting back onto btea for final year ?

just an update on my situation, got paid from the job and received my BTEA. so far so good, ill update if any problems crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 quailty street

Hey Ross,
    I'm going to be in the same situation in February,just wondering did you continue to get both payments? and did it affect your beta claim for 4th year?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

It makes no difference to anything. Even means testing in 4th year. I earned 15k and it made no difference to BTEA or Grant.

i HIGHLY advise you to save all the money you make if you are paid. Its a perfect opportunity to get a head start on saving for a property deposit when you finish college.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭spudnick

just an update on my situation, got paid from the job and received my BTEA. so far so good, ill update if any problems crop up.

Hey what course we're you doing and in what college ?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭HelenV

My daughter had been mainly unemployed (in and out of part-time employment) for a number of years prior to going on a course leading to employment as a care assistant. This is a second-level course and she received BTEA.

She is now hoping to be accepted through the CAO/CAS scheme on a nursing course.

She was intending to seek employment as a care assistant during the summer months and apply for BTEA in September if she is offered a place on the nursing course.

If she does work, will she be barred from the BTEA. She has been living independently for at least 15 years and was in full-time employment prior to the downturn.

Is it possible to transfer from a second level course to a third level course and still receive BTEA?

Any gems of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Advertisement