Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Don't Try This At Home"

• 24-09-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭

Rather than chat on the news thread, the talk of the curb stomp being banned got me thinking of times when I did try it at home. I definitely remember trying to put the sharpshooter on my younger brother at one stage, and the ankle lock. Also probably tried to super kick him at one stage! Anybody else got any similar memories or stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Was a b@stard for the Sharpshooter and did the occasional Diamond Cutter. Then there was the TWF (Trampoline Wrestling federation) at which point I had a whole move set done out that was pretty slick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Knocked two my friends front teeth out with sweet chin music when i was about 11, He got too close or I kicked too high one or both of us were at fault,

Use to rock bottom my younger brother all the time too along with the odd stone cold stunner lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

A friend of mine asked me in a room full of people how the Sharpshooter was applied a couple of years ago. I proceeded to go SummerSlam 1991 on him and he begged for his life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I remember delivering tombstones and getting stunnered (and vice versa) not to mention getting put in numerous submissions from boston crabs to The Walls of Jericho (half the time it was just a Boston Crab ha) and The Crossface or Anklelock. Hell people even went up top (on top of the couch etc) to hit a Frogsplash or two.

Was always just a list of finishers though, didnt see too many chin locks, sleepers or suplexes.

That said none of us ever got hurt and if we did we would only have ourselves to blame, tis a stupid thing to do and I'm pretty sure even as kids messing about we knew that as we did it. Great laugh though

on a side note I could actually see kids being far more likely to seriously hurt each other imitating Seth's curb stomp (could include Tombstone too but WWE have already essentially gotten rid of piledrivers) than the vast majority of those moves listed above even including the submissions.

The submissions were always the best ones to imitate I thought because at least no one was going to get dropped on their head that way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Myself and my brother used to do a lot of moves on the trampoline when we were younger

He's far from fat, but I once chokeslamed him through the trampoline right into the ground below, he was awful winded and gasping for air for a while, no loss on him though

Oh I also clotheslined someone across a wall, and another time speared someone through a bouncy castle

I'm not evil I swear

I put the Camel Clutch on someone with no clothes on before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ah ya, I used to deal out the Sharpshooters, Samoan Drops, Tombstones, Figure 4s and Choke Slams back in the day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I bet that made them humble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

I had a 4ft stuffed toy when I was younger, so whenever I had friends over the stuffed tiger would get all the more dangerous moves done to him. I say that, we'd still do stunners, super kicks and Walls of Jerichos to each other, but with a lot less force

I did also have a friend who wasn't afraid to do Swanton Bombs off the back of the couch, mad ba$tard :pac:

My favourite thing though was to use household objects as weapons or props. We used a coffee table as an ambulance for ambulance matches, cushions were steel chairs, and two cushions propped up between some chairs were a breakable table

My best innovation, though, was using tinfoil pie plates as trash can lids :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Omackeral wrote: »

I did the exact same thing with a biscuit tin lid in primary school!

Got caught though, mid-swing, I saw the teacher through the little window in the door and she saw me.

Looking back now, I could've got huge heat and went full heel if I swung at her. Missed opportunity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That video is a work, backstage we're best friends and became so because of wrestling. If you look closely he gets the hands up. The class was in shock though and the person screaming out up the back was legit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Omackeral wrote: »
    That video is a work, backstage we're best friends and became so because of wrestling. If you look closely he gets the hands up. The class was in shock though and the person screaming out up the back was legit!
    I had to watch it four times before realising you threw a bin on him at the end, I though it was a computer at first, which would have been borderline attempted murder :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Brindor

Spears, Pedigrees, Tombstones the usual.
    I think are favourite one was the Chokeslam though, as I was easily able to pull it off on my brother.
    We always wanted to try a Swanton Bomb, but never really had a high enough clearing for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I used to with my brother, but we didn't really know about kayfabe, and since no kicking or punching was allowed (since that would lead to noticeable marks which would get us in trouble) it quickly just turned into real catch wrestling once you realise that only moves from the Team Angle,Benoit movesets work.. which was pretty useful when I did judo and mma years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Brilliant stuff people exactly the type of antics I had in mind. Fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Was this a sex thing? :confused: :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Great idea for a thread. :) Brings back all kinds of memories!

My brother's double bed was great for a safe landing when we were 10/11/12.

Moves included the DDT, Jerry Lawler's piledriver, the Rock Bottom, side-walk slam, spine-buster, Pedigree, elbow and leg-drops.
    We got into WWF when Ken Shamrock and Owen Hart were always on TV so there were sharpshooters, ankle locks, figure-4s, arm-bars, Boston crab and half crab, etc.
    The Camel Clutch was by far the worst. That's a really nasty position to get stuck in.

By the time I was in 6th class the Hardy Boyz were a pretty big deal. I was one of the 3 tallest/strongest in my class at the time, so me and the biggest lad used to volunteer to be crash-mats for the 5 Star Frog Splash, Swanton Bombs and elbows off the railings during am lóin whenever it was dry enough to lie on the grass. :D

Ageyev wrote: »
    Was this a sex thing? :confused: :pac:
    BUBBA YOU SAID IT PERFECT :pac:

• Advertisement

BUBBA YOU SAID IT PERFECT :pac:

As long as you released the hold when she (or he if that's the case) tapped out!

I LOVE THE WOMEN INTELLIGENT JEW PENTECOST FOREVER I LOVE THE LADY PUT ME OVER.

I LOVE THE WOMEN INTELLIGENT JEW PENTECOST FOREVER I LOVE THE LADY PUT ME OVER.

rock2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Pentecost wrote: »
    rock2.gif

My favourite move at home was the Rikishi driver as my little brother was light enough to get up on my shoulder. I did it once onto a cheap mattress on the floor which offered no bounce and it felt Mike my spine tried to burst out of my back. Never did anything like that again. It scared the crap out of me. It didn't hurt but the sensation I felt was scary.

Pentecost wrote: »
    rock2.gif

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I also hit a running 5 star frog splash from the roof of our boiler house to a mattress on the lawn before as a dare, I was an rvd nut, and almost overshot it too I got such a good run at it, almost mangled myself

I became friends with a guy when I started school (secondary) because he used to just give people stunners mid-conversation if he was fed up of talking back and forth with them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Part of me would still like to give wrestling a go sometime, but I don't think I'd ever come up with a decent character/gimmick! :o

I'd love to be able to do some of the shoot stuff, Stu Hart kind of job. That stuff would be handy!

• Advertisement

I became friends with a guy when I started school (secondary) because he used to just give people stunners mid-conversation if he was fed up of talking back and forth with them.

Ha that's class though I'm sure it'd get annoying after a while. I hope he did the two fingers afterwards too.

Advertisement