Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animal rights group forcefully take dog off homeless man

• 24-09-2015 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/29630558/animal-rights-workers-allegedly-caught-on-film-stealing-puppy-from-homeless-man/
    French animal rights group workers have allegedly been caught on camera restraining a homeless Paris man and stealing his puppy.

In a video, shared on Facebook by witness Nghi Le Duc on September 21, we see the homeless man wrestling on the ground with another man, while a woman tries to take the dog.

The video has since been viewed more than 1.2 million times.

The two attackers believed to be from group Cause Animal Nord are seen snatching the yelping puppy as the homeless man tries desperately to stop them.

A third man then grabs the animal.

The woman is heard shouting at shocked bystanders as the dog’s owner chases the thief down the street.

Mr Duc said he watched the incident in horror.

“Three French who represent of the association ‘Cause Animale Nord’ and who also represent The Law… took violently, mercilessly, a small dog - a little friend of a homeless person from him, even though this homeless person cried and begged them! I was in shock when I saw this scene in Paris,” he posted on Facebook.

Mr Duc then shared ‘evidence’ of the stolen dog’s fate, in the form of a photo on the Cause Animal Nord Facebook page.
    “Here is the dog (in my opinion),” he said.

The photo is of a dog that looks like the one stolen in the video.

“Vegan (name in memory of our beliefs), little dog, rescued at the Marche,” it reads.

“We took it from a Roma who was begging. The police do nothing, we act. You too can take action, it just takes a little courage.

“[The dog] will be put up for adoption.”

Cause Animale Nord has explained its actions, claiming the man was exploiting the dog and using it to help panhandle for money.

“It wasn't a homeless guy but a Roma... He's screaming because it's his livelihood,” they claimed.

There's no evidence the homeless man is/or was soliciting for money. Whether he was begging or not there was no need to forcefully seize this mans dog.

The police should have been called to the scene to investigate and if any action needed be taken then the police could have seized the dog and prosecuted him.

I hope these two wannabe police officers are charged with theft and assault.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ace Ventura will sort this out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Scumbags, they should've left the man and his dog in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Haznat

Dickheads.

There's something about animal rights activists that always makes them come across as extremely stupid and arrogant. Add the fact that they're french in to the mix and it's a perfect storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Homeless people often don't have a lot in this world,but to take his companion is low

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Scumbags
    Haznat wrote: »
    Dickheads.
    Animals

Enough about the French, lets talk about the case at hand here :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

To quote Delboy

Mange tout!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Didn't a group of animal rights activists set 'free' thousands of mink a few years ago, causing untold damage to the local ecosystem?

Just a few months ago in Dublin retards 'liberated' lobsters from a tank in a restaurant and set them free in Clontarf Bay where they promptly died.

You don't need to go as far as France to find idiots like that. There's no shortage of them here and they don't have a brain cell between them.

In case you think I was joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

A bit of an odd situation.

I thought when I saw the thread title that this was Ireland (a pet peeve of mine when it comes to titles) and thought yeah it's about time. So many people on the streets (whether actually homeless or not) use dogs and other animals to get attention and money. It works, and that's why more and more of them are getting them. It shouldn't be allowed.

But it strikes me as odd that no one questions where they got the animal. That guy who hangs out on Henry St, moved from londis on Westmoreland St, with the dog and rabbit, has changed dogs two or three times in the last few years. It's not as if he owned them before he became homeless. I actually don't think he's homeless at all but that's for another day. He obviously got them to get more money. Where do you think this dude in France happened to get a puppy?

But regardless of whether or not he stole it, homeless people should not be allowed to have pets.

Gongoozler wrote: »

I thought when I saw the thread title that this was Ireland (a pet peeve of mine when it comes to titles) and thought yeah it's about time. So many people on the streets (whether actually homeless or not) use dogs and other animals to get attention and money. It works, and that's why more and more of them are getting them. It shouldn't be allowed.

But it strikes me as odd that no one questions where they got the animal. That guy who hangs out on Henry St, moved from londis on Westmoreland St, with the dog and rabbit, has changed dogs two or three times in the last few years. It's not as if he owned them before he became homeless. I actually don't think he's homeless at all but that's for another day. He obviously got them to get more money. Where do you think this dude in France happened to get a puppy?

But regardless of whether or not he stole it, homeless people should not be allowed to have pets.

The lad with the rabbit jumped in the Liffey to rescue it after a couple of scrotes threw it in.
    I wouldn't jump in the Liffey if someone threw my mot in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Actually, in the case of dogs, a dog that gets to spend 24/7 with its homeless owner would be far happier than a dog that has a "home" with everybody gone out of it for most of the day :pac:

(provided of course that the homeless person has the means to feed it adequately and look after its medical needs)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's actually very sad and cruel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Vegan (name in memory of our beliefs)

Sweet Jesus on a bicycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Actually, the dog is been ransomed off by the french animal "rights" group for nearly 200 quid or so. ( cant remember exact amount).

https://www.change.org/p/tribunal-de-grande-instance-de-lille-ouvrir-une-enqu%C3%AAte-sur-le-fonctionnement-de-l-association-cause-animale-nord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

These people are not animal rights groups they are animal kidnappers. Such groups don't engage in physically taking animals away from their owners. Cruelty towards common decency that is what we have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ahh great humans and moralists we have here.

Steal the animal and leave the man homeless, and now alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Apt name for the OP.

Unless a professional has decided that the pet is being kept poorly then they should be left alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Skatedude wrote: »
    Actually, the dog is been ransomed off by the french animal "rights" group for nearly 200 quid or so. ( cant remember exact amount).

At least they haven't murdered it yet like their buddies in Peta.

peasant wrote: »
    Actually, in the case of dogs, a dog that gets to spend 24/7 with its homeless owner would be far happier than a dog that has a "home" with everybody gone out of it for most of the day :pac:

(provided of course that the homeless person has the means to feed it adequately and look after its medical needs)

I was thinking that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Haznat wrote: »
    The lad with the rabbit jumped in the Liffey to rescue it after a couple of scrotes threw it in.
    I wouldn't jump in the Liffey if someone threw my mot in.

I saw the guy in my local centra with his days takings one evening, throwing it into the change machine (you know, the ones that charge 12%). Well if I was making as much as him from something, I'd probably value it quite a bit too.
    peasant wrote: »

But the point is they can't provide. You think being around a human is all an animal needs? They need interaction, exercise, stimulation, food, water etc. Do you really think all these 'homeless' people with dogs are taking care of the dogs social, physiological, medical needs? Of course they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Remember the monkey that took a selfie? PETA do, and they are suing a struggling wildlife photographer on it's behalf!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3245807/PETA-sues-nature-photographer-hopes-giving-MONKEY-copyright-ownership-selfie.html

A macaque monkey who took now-famous selfie photographs should be declared the copyright owner of the photos, rather than the nature photographer who positioned the camera, animal-rights activists contend in a novel lawsuit filed on Tuesday.

The suit was filed in federal court in San Francisco by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

It seeks a court order allowing PETA to administer all proceeds from the photos for the benefit of the monkey, which it identified as six-year-old Naruto, and other crested macaques living in a reserve on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Is there nothing the police can do in this case surely its considered theft?

I saw the guy in my local centra with his days takings one evening, throwing it into the change machine (you know, the ones that charge 12%). Well if I was making as much as him from something, I'd probably value it quite a bit too.

Surely he could have just bought a new one with his vast wealth. I'd say it's more likely that he jumped off a ****ing bridge because he is quite fond of the bunny.

The homeless have enough issues without more judgmental high horsery from people that have no comprehension of their situation.

I can't post links yet but if you google "homeless man jumps in Liffey to save pet rabbit" you will get the story about the profiteering bunny abuser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Wasn't it chris Rock that said your more likely to care about the dog than the homeless man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

i seen a dog on e in berlin

i asks his owner, Is he okay?

he says "ya he's fine now but he will feel bad in the morning"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

But the point is they can't provide. You think being around a human is all an animal needs? They need interaction, exercise, stimulation, food, water etc. Do you really think all these 'homeless' people with dogs are taking care of the dogs social, physiological, medical needs? Of course they're not.

Of course?

That's a bit rash and highly prejudiced.
    Just because someone is homeless doesn't mean that they automatically are the permanently inebriated psychological wreck that you have in your mind's eye.

Let's look at it from the dog's point of view first:
    -they get to live with their owner 24/7 in close proximity
    -they get a chance to be highly social, meeting lots of other people (and dogs) all day long
    -they get a job (guarding their owner and his/her possessions)
    sounds pretty much like an ideal dog's life to me.

And then let's look at the benefits for the owner
    -they get a companion
    -they get a heater for cold nights
    -they get an alarm system
    -they get a means to get into conversation with other people through the dog
    And last but not least, having someone to be responsible for and to take care of might just help them from becoming that "typical wino" that you're thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Feckin french surrender monkeys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Remarkable the empathy being shown for the homeless guy and indeed his companion, when in reality most people don't give a crap about either - it's all about the context of course, which is the old keyboard warriors queuing up to air their whimsical opinions.

As both a vegan and a carer of two rescue animals I completely disagree with the actions of the crazy animal rights group who took the animal from their human companion (remember in reality both of them are homeless), but I also disagree with the misguided and inappropriate generalisations about animal rights activists - those clowns who took the dog have no comprehension of the damage they have done against animal rights because it completely shifts the attention away from the bigger issues of animal cruelty and allows people who really don't give too much of a toss about such rights the opportunity to "moralise" and feel good about themselves and their attitude towards such cruelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A pet can be a lifeline for a homeless person, providing stability and routine,
    and helping stave off depression.

While some may use animals to garner sympathy most homeless people do love their pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I just watched this video and it's awful. The poor man crying for his puppy almost broke my heart. How could anyone just take away his friend like that? Maybe he gets more money for having the dog but I'm sure he spends it on taking care of it and feeding it. People can be so cruel.

Didn't a group of animal rights activists set 'free' thousands of mink a few years ago, causing untold damage to the local ecosystem?

Just a few months ago in Dublin retards 'liberated' lobsters from a tank in a restaurant and set them free in Clontarf Bay where they promptly died.

You don't need to go as far as France to find idiots like that. There's no shortage of them here and they don't have a brain cell between them.

In case you think I was joking

Growing up, we used to always call travelers/scumbags/knackers "minks". When I first saw the headline, "100s of minks set free", my first thought was as if we didn't have enough of them already.

Remarkable the empathy being shown for the homeless guy and indeed his companion, when in reality most people don't give a crap about either - it's all about the context of course, which is the old keyboard warriors queuing up to air their whimsical opinions.

As both a vegan and a carer of two rescue animals I completely disagree with the actions of the crazy animal rights group who took the animal from their human companion (remember in reality both of them are homeless), but I also disagree with the misguided and inappropriate generalisations about animal rights activists - those clowns who took the dog have no comprehension of the damage they have done against animal rights because it completely shifts the attention away from the bigger issues of animal cruelty and allows people who really don't give too much of a toss about such rights the opportunity to "moralise" and feel good about themselves and their attitude towards such cruelty.

So you agree with the vast majority of the posters in this thread but feel you are in a position to judge everyone else's motives because you are a vegan and have a couple of rescues. This is the problem with animal rights movements and rescues in general. All squabbling amongst themselves and trying to one up each other and the world. Speaking as a decade long but lapsed vegetarian with several rescue animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Fcukin hell, how could any morally decent person do this to someone. He is homeless for gods sake!

I hope the police get involved and lock these pricks up, he assaulted the homeless man in that video!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Who cares it's just a bloody dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Who cares it's just a bloody dog.

It's owner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

A ridge of high pressure is slowly building over Ireland as a westerly airflow gradually stabilizes.

West to southwest force 5 to 6, moderating force 4 to 5 later tonight and tomorrow morning, and veering south to southwest later tomorrow.

Westerly force 4 to 5, moderating force 3 or 4 tomorrow and backing southwesterly, backing south to southwest by this time tomorrow.

Showers dying out

Generally good.

Light to moderate southerly winds will develop tomorrow night and during Saturday in anticyclonic conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Scumbags, they should've left the man and his dog in peace.

Eh, I don't know. It should be left to the police but I have a certain cynicism about how well treated pets of homeless people are. Are they using them to tug on people's heart strings? Are they well looked after? Some are, but some are not, I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Terrorists those nut-cases are. Terrorising a homeless guy and his pet dog. I know what I would have done, but I won't say it here. Psychopaths, especially that blonde haired woman. The amount of hatred towards homeless folk that they cannot even have a pet dog companion without being assaulted and robbed.

The people 'if you can call them that' putting the dog and owner under undue stress just shows you what you're dealing with, with the amount of head-cases going around these days.

Yeah that homeless guy in Dublin city putting his life at risk to save his pet rabbit from the liffey just shows you how attached a person can be for their furry friends. I wonder did those nut-cases keep running after the homeless guy and take the dog in the end ?. Had to slow it down there on the video, one person grabbed the dog and ran up the street while the homeless guy was crying chasing them. They probably won't give a sh!t if the homeless guy kills himself after the loss of losing his pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Eh, I don't know. It should be left to the police but I have a certain cynicism about how well treated pets of homeless people are. Are they using them to tug on people's heart strings? Are they well looked after? Some are, but some are not, I would imagine.

Your powers of deduction are amazing :pac:

You could even say the same thing about animals kept by people who live in houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

conorhal wrote: »
    Remember the monkey that took a selfie? PETA do, and they are suing a struggling wildlife photographer on it's behalf!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3245807/PETA-sues-nature-photographer-hopes-giving-MONKEY-copyright-ownership-selfie.html

A macaque monkey who took now-famous selfie photographs should be declared the copyright owner of the photos, rather than the nature photographer who positioned the camera, animal-rights activists contend in a novel lawsuit filed on Tuesday.

The suit was filed in federal court in San Francisco by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

It seeks a court order allowing PETA to administer all proceeds from the photos for the benefit of the monkey, which it identified as six-year-old Naruto, and other crested macaques living in a reserve on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi.
    you can be sure peta couldn't care a less about the animal, but are simply looking for a quick buck. sooner this bunch of vermin are crushed the better

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

A homeless person with a littlest hobo companion is a very nice thing.

But there are lads begging around dublin city centre that have a brand new different puppy every four or five weeks. I think that was Gongoozler's point. In these cases it's a prop to them, not a loyal lifelong 'me and you against the world Scrappy' friend. What happened to the puppy from last month? Where'd you get this puppy? Any chance of him making an appearance in October? If not, where'd he go?

It's become 'a thing' to have a dog at your feet while you beg... Sure won't all the kids and thier Mammies with their purses stop to say hello... The dogs seem to change a lot more frequently than dogs tend to change in the hands of loving owners... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Your powers of deduction are amazing :pac:

You could even say the same thing about animals kept by people who live in houses

Of course you could. But when one doesn't have the resources to home oneself, it would be silly not to question whether the resources are there to support a pet. And there's no reason to be more lenient towards someone who is homeless when it comes to animal cruelty. Most people abhor animal cruelty but few seem to register any concern at homeless people having pets and I find this strange. In the wake of the story breaking about the homeless guy's bunny being thrown in the Liffey, I noticed an increase in homeless people having pets in Dublin suddenly. Worrying.

All the "Aw, but it might be his/her only friend in the world" stuff is very patronising too.
    OneOfThem wrote: »
    A homeless person with a littlest hobo companion is a very nice thing.

But there are lads begging around dublin city centre that have a brand new different puppy every four or five weeks. I think that was Gongoozler's point. In these cases it's a prop to them, not a loyal lifelong 'me and you against the world Scrappy' friend. What happened to the puppy from last month? Where'd you get this puppy? Any chance of him making an appearance in October? If not, where'd he go?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Surely at the very least, this a case of theft?

If it was a thing, and I say if, that the man could not look after the dog properly, there are other approaches.

Bunch of toe rags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Most of us that have been involved in Animal rescue & welfare hate the term "animal rights". There is a argument that animals should have rights but it has been totally hijacked by a load of extremists. These people do so much harm to animal welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

The dog has been returned to his owner and the Animal activist is currently in police custody.
    Doubt he will be jailed or such, and i dont think it would be warranted, but probably fine and community service but will have to wait and see.

I'm all up for helping and protecting animals and our last pets we had were all from rescue centers, but there are better ways of doing good without resorting to breaking the law and assaulting people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Well that's good news if he's getting his dog back.

Those two weirdo creeps would want to take a good long look at themselves in the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Skatedude wrote: »
    The dog has been returned to his owner and the Animal activist is currently in police custody.
    Doubt he will be jailed or such, and i dont think it would be warranted, but probably fine and community service but will have to wait and see.

I'm all up for helping and protecting animals and our last pets we had were all from rescue centers, but there are better ways of doing good without resorting to breaking the law and assaulting people.

Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Wow talk about easy target. Why don't they go to a meat slaughter plant and set some cow frees maybe and see how that goes for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I saw this on 9gag and it said in the comments local had got the puppy and paid for vaccinations after the homeless guy's previous dog died from old age.

• Advertisement
Advertisement