Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loads of gardai on the streets?

Options
  • 24-09-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Is it just me or is there loads of guards standing on street corners over the last few days in the city centre?

Am I missing something? Is there something going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Thats a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

About ****ing time if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Yeah I noticed it too. The last few evenings there has been Gardaí on the corner of Westmoreland St where the Londis shop is. That area is a haven for pickpockets and junkies, so about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Probably a visiting king or some president or other. Don't worry they will soon retreat to dunking donuts as soon as he goes home.☺

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Actual police presence in the drug infested political, financial, retail, historic and touristic centre of our nation. How novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Irish water must be going to start installing metres in the city centre. Only time you see a garda presence nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

Drugs Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

There was a passing out in Templemore recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

toptom wrote: »
    Drugs Id say.

Ah jaysus lad, I'm sure any guard worth his salt would have a better source for a few yokes than hanging around a street corner in the city centre. Sure its terrible dangerous around there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jungleman wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed it too. The last few evenings there has been Gardaí on the corner of Westmoreland St where the Londis shop is. That area is a haven for pickpockets and junkies, so about time.

I often get the 145 and get off there, and there is always a pile of cops around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Saw lots around Terenure, Rathgar and Harolds Cross today too. Its great to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Does anybody know if there's a Long John Silver's in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Indian president visiting, plus there are some newbies from Templemore and that's often a first deployment (or was, when we had new Guards often)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Stheno wrote: »
    I often get the 145 and get off there, and there is always a pile of cops around there.

I get the 67 there and have never noticed them until the last few days! They had some young fella on Tuesday who tried to rob the Londis and do a runner, two Gardaí and the shop security had him pinned to the railings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

L1011 wrote: »
    Indian president visiting, plus there are some newbies from Templemore and that's often a first deployment (or was, when we had new Guards often)
    He left yesterday afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ah jaysus lad, I'm sure any guard worth his salt would have a better source for a few yokes than hanging around a street corner in the city centre. Sure its terrible dangerous around there.

MdKkc3p.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

jungleman wrote: »

The Gardai have been there for well over 6 months. They keep moving on junkies there. There is also plenty of undercover Gardai around the area looking for dealing

Most people dont know all of O Connell Street, most of the side streets, temple bar and westmoreland Street is constantly monitored by CCTV in Pearse Street station. Thats one of the reasons you dont really see fights on O Connell Street like you used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

L1011 wrote: »
    Indian president visiting

You mean chief surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Stheno wrote: »

and rightly so, you wouldn't know what class of person would be getting off the 145, the dregs from Foxrock and Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

newacc2015 wrote:
    The Gardai have been there for well over 6 months. They keep moving on junkies there. There is also plenty of undercover Gardai around the area looking for dealing

6 months? More like two or three years. Easiest drug convictions most Gardai will ever get in that spot.

6 months? More like two or three years. Easiest drug convictions most Gardai will ever get in that spot.

They used to allow it there. They had an operation to get dealing off O Connell St. But it literally pushed it a few hundred meters up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He left yesterday afaik

OP was asking about the few data before though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lots of Garda helicopter activity above the IFSC area at the moment, plus squad cars flying up the North Strand - I wonder is it too soon for a retaliation to have happened for the Hutch shooting in Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

newacc2015 wrote: »

Most people dont know all of O Connell Street, most of the side streets, temple bar and westmoreland Street is constantly monitored by CCTV in Pearse Street station. Thats one of the reasons you dont really see fights on O Connell Street like you used to.

Most people also don't know the size of the Store St district. It spans from Dublin port right the way up to Capel St as far as Annesley Bridge down to to River Liffey to include all the bridges. It's also one of the busiest/busiest police stations in Europe.

It's just not practical to put all the Garda into one part of the district, you could have 10 Garda on O Connel St, but for each arrest that's a Garda off the Street to process the prisoner. Add to the fact you need a car to transport the prisoner to the station, you could have 3 Garda off the streets.

As a start, I would suggest, breaking up the clinics in the area or making the Store St Garda district smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was in penneys on mary st earlier and there were 2 guards casually walking around in the female gym section

Theyre covering everywhere now!

TallGlass wrote: »
    Most people also don't know the size of the Store St district. It spans from Dublin port right the way up to Capel St as far as Annesley Bridge down to to River Liffey to include all the bridges. It's also one of the busiest/busiest police stations in Europe.

It's just not practical to put all the Garda into one part of the district, you could have 10 Garda on O Connel St, but for each arrest that's a Garda off the Street to process the prisoner. Add to the fact you need a car to transport the prisoner to the station, you could have 3 Garda off the streets.

As a start, I would suggest, breaking up the clinics in the area or making the Store St Garda district smaller.

Dublin Garda districts are massive. I dont understand the argument for rural Garda station, when the sheds in a little village are often better than Dublin Garda Station. Finglas Garda station was basically a cottage until a few decades ago. North Dublin City only has a handful of Garda stations for roughly 250-300k people.

Clinics are going to stay in the City. All the Dublin TDs will resist any moves to move them into the suburbs were the actual users live. Look at the BS over a sex shop in Drumcondra. Imagine a clinic opening anywhere the public. Putting them in an industrial estate would be fine. But Dublin City doesnt have any industrial estates without a housing population around them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I saw them wandering around Lidl in Rathmines, then as I was by the Spar are you approach the canal three of them were walking around the shop. Must be doing more to help retailers. I have to say O'Connell street is really cleaned up in the last year or so. It's the inner suburbs that are getting dodgier again.

• Advertisement

no gardaí on streets - usual whingers

more gardaí on streets- usual whingers

jaysus there's something there, can't quite put my finger on it.....

Advertisement