Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine Carafes

Options
  • 24-09-2015 9:34pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where these can be got in Dublin? I'm looking for a "vintage" one if possibly and preferably a half litre one.

Something like this with a nice little logo on it.

WineCarafe1LiterOT8?$web_zoom$&extend=110,110,110,110

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,304 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some previous suggestions here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92251202

Further afield than city centre, IKEA have this - cheap and cheerful in classic style but no logo I'm afraid:
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/tableware/jugs-carafes/l%C3%B6nsam-carafe-clear-glass-art-20213543/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cheers! Tried searching for previous threads but didn't find much.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,304 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cheers... Let us\posterity know if the quest has a successful outcome...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 marask

They have those in dunnes too, similar to the one on your pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I think they had them in dunnes at some point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm almost sure there's a shop somewhere on Liffey Street (closer to Henry St than the river) that has stuff like that, and other sundry items like salt cellars, cutlery and cups & saucers.

Let me see if I can find the name of it.

(the name of that IKEA carafe is "Lonsam", is it a carafe for a singleton?)

edit

It's called All Rooms, and it's beside the side entrance to M&S

(01) 873 5822

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I'm almost sure there's a shop somewhere on Liffey Street

It's called All Rooms, and it's beside the side entrance to M&S

(01) 873 5822

I've heard All Rooms on Liffey St is closing down. :(
    Was a great place to pick up bits & bobs.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll have a carafe, and probably for next to nothing in the closing down sale.

Dunne's also have a carafe for sale at the moment that comes with a wooden stopper and matching glass. In the 'Considered' range. Think it's a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If I was looking for a proper vintage one I'd check both etsy.ie and the French, Italian and Spanish ebay. You get amazing stuff popping up there for next to nothing. I know its not Dublin but good thick glassed carafes are thin on the ground here.

Also a half litre one? I'm sure they exist but I've always thought of a carafe as a pouring device which also allows red wine to 'breathe' a lot more than if you just left it to rest in an opened bottle before serving. A litre sized carafe will do this job better, even if you only want to have a couple of glasses.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If I was looking for a proper vintage one I'd check both etsy.ie and the French, Italian and Spanish ebay. You get amazing stuff popping up there for next to nothing. I know its not Dublin but good thick glassed carafes are thin on the ground here.

Also a half litre one? I'm sure they exist but I've always thought of a carafe as a pouring device which also allows red wine to 'breathe' a lot more than if you just left it to rest in an opened bottle before serving. A litre sized carafe will do this job better, even if you only want to have a couple of glasses.

Had a look but postage isn't great. Found one Italian seller who hasn't listed postage outside of the continent so have fired him off an email.

Half litre ones would be common in the likes of France and Spain if you're getting the house wine. Traditionally they were used for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

theres a second hand shop in phibsboro opposite the spar and they had lots of old decanters they might have carafes too

• Advertisement

Went to Dunnes in Derry and found exactly what I was after priced at £2.50. Only got charged £2 though. :)

Cheers for all the replies, might check out All Rooms as I kind of fancy one for myself now.

Advertisement