Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the reserves?

Options
  • 24-09-2015 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi guys,

I'm in college and there was a soldier in to talk to students about the reserves unfortunately i was unable to go and talk to him, I've always kind of had an interest in the military but never really gave it much thought, so basically I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some info on whats involved in being part of the Irish reserves? And also if i was to sign up, do I have to do a certain amount of time before i can leave? Like a couple of years? I got an email from the college saying that it's 14 to 28 paid days a year is that right? Thanks in advance..
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 .300 WinMag

Davidf1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm in college and there was a soldier in to talk to students about the reserves unfortunately i was unable to go and talk to him, I've always kind of had an interest in the military but never really gave it much thought, so basically I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some info on whats involved in being part of the Irish reserves? And also if i was to sign up, do I have to do a certain amount of time before i can leave? Like a couple of years? I got an email from the college saying that it's 14 to 28 paid days a year is that right? Thanks in advance..
    David

David, all of the information you require is on the RDF section of the Defence forces website, training is on a weeknight for two hours, consisting of various drills, there are also camps which can be up to two weeks long.

The navy have a smaller number of barracks for training whilst the army have more to choose from which you would need to take into account depending of where you are based

If you are planning on travelling on a j1 etc, then I'd think hard about this, a certain level of commitment is expected

Check the website, send the reserves an email and see what you think.

Advertisement