Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 backup failing

• 25-09-2015 12:06am

I went to update my iPhone 6 to ios9 this evening but when I went to back it up the back up failed almost instantly with the error message "iTunes could not back up the iPhone because an error occurred" (I've tried dozens of times and got the same error). There is no error code or anything. I also tried backing up to iCloud but that also failed both doing it in iTunes on my macbook and trying it from the phone itself?

Anyone have this issue? I looked around online but none of the easy fixes are making any difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I went to update my iPhone 6 to ios9 this evening but when I went to back it up the back up failed almost instantly with the error message "iTunes could not back up the iPhone because an error occurred" (I've tried dozens of times and got the same error). There is no error code or anything. I also tried backing up to iCloud but that also failed both doing it in iTunes on my macbook and trying it from the phone itself?

Anyone have this issue? I looked around online but none of the easy fixes are making any difference.

So your iPhone will not back up automatically? Are running 8.1.4 now ? When did you last back up your device?

So your iPhone will not back up automatically? Are running 8.1.4 now ? When did you last back up your device?

It won't back up manually or automatically as part of the software update (to iTunes or iCloud).

I'm currently running 8.4, last backup was mid July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Have you tried rebooting the phone and is iTunes up to date?

guil wrote: »
    Have you tried rebooting the phone and is iTunes up to date?

Yeah rebooted the phone a few times (tried with power button and home button also) and rebooted the MacBook as well. iTunes was updated earlier in the week.

Heading in the direction of trying to restore it at this stage I suppose which isn't ideal with two months since I backed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Unless there is important texts etc I would just restore as a new phone, iCloud will have all your numbers and pictures will be there as well if iCloud photo library is enabled.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Unless there is important texts etc I would just restore as a new phone, iCloud will have all your numbers and pictures will be there as well if iCloud photo library is enabled.

Not worried about photos I have onedrive backup enabled so have all them. I dont have iClould backups enabled though so wont have numbers and I do have stuff in texts etc and lots of stuff in notes that I want so I'll try to either restore to my last back up or else wipe the phone and then restore to the last back up.

Will be next week before I get a chance to do anything but I'll report back anyway in case its useful to anyone else. Have about 10 days of warranty left so even if I cant solve it I've time to organise a warranty repair anyway thankfully.

Just an update on this.

I erased the phone completely today and restored it to my most recent backup and all appears fine now, I was able to update to ios9.0.2 and its backing up fine now also.

Advertisement