Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get SO-DIMM's

Options
  • 25-09-2015 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Now that HWVS are gone where would be a good place to buy a couple of SO-DIMM's ?
    I am looking for:
    2x4 gig DDR3 1333mhz PC3-10666 (non-ECC)
    generic chips so I can play CivIV on a Compaq Presario CQ56-102SA laptop.

Nothing fancy but I just want to get... just one more turn..... a bit faster

I bought all my stuff through HWVS previously so am a bit lost now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

From googling, that is an incredibly slow laptop, and has an old single core processor - 8GB of ram would be a total waste to be honest. The easiest way to get a single stick of 4GB would just be to pick up a 2nd hand stick on adverts for about 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 battlestar

From googling, that is an incredibly slow laptop, and has an old single core processor - 8GB of ram would be a total waste to be honest. The easiest way to get a single stick of 4GB would just be to pick up a 2nd hand stick on adverts for about 20 euro.

Thanks for taking the time to jot down a reply TerrorFirmer

Yeah it is a slow old slab but my box is in storage while I am in temporary accommodation.

The single core is fine by me as CivIV only runs on one core and the single-core has a higher base clock than Multi-cores of slightly less obsolescence.
    The 8gb is so I can run Radeon RamDisk and load the whole game into RAM for super fast turns even on this Desmatosuchus.

I also wanted to go 2x4gig so I could put the 2x2gig currently installed into my girlfriends Identical slab which is sucky with the 2x1 gig it is currently Run..er Crawling.

BTY this not a slam TerrorFirmer I really didn't think of looking on Adverts.ie and in the usual run of things a €20 odd 4gig taking me to 6gig and my GF to 3gig would have been a no brainer.
    Hell! at €20 you can just trust in the honesty of strangers.

In other news:
    I found a 2x4gig kit of Geil ram at computeruniverse for €44 seems hard to pass up
    w w w_computeruniverse_net/en/products/90517575/geil-8gb-ddr3-so-dimm-kit_asp

Sorry for odd URL/Link for some reason I am still a new user

Anyone have anything to say about the Ram or Vendor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

battlestar wrote: »
    Anyone have anything to say about the Ram or Vendor?
    Great vendor, savings may be erased by delivery cost. Keep an eye on that before you press "Send".

I ordered 2 kits came to €104.51 with DHL regular shipping.

MemoryC was doing Adata 2x4 for €65 with free shipping (and similar for the other brands)
    I decided to check out the Geil as I have never used it. Most RoC brands are good.
    I will post back when arrives in and I have it installed about the shopping experience and how the RAM goes.
    Any tool you usually use on Boards.ie to compare RAM?

The Cruiser Memory tool kept telling me my laptop can run DD3 1600mhz Low voltage memory.
    I am pretty sure it wont and can't find anything on the HP site saying it will, even the Bios updates don't mention allowing to run low voltage PC316oo's..Strange..
    Would be nice but plugging low voltage into 1.5 volts can't be good. For long

I decided on two kits So the Girlfriend can run Radeon RAMdisk too when we do the occasional CivIV Multiplayer and perhaps see some general improvement during her regular browsing and web designing.
    I also wanted matched pairs as the current lot are all different.

Upshot is will have 3 mixed 2gigs for sale real cheep and a 1gig free to a good home

ComputerUniverse cancelled my order after two weeks! WTF!

I was waiting patiently thinking they had dispatched my goods but that perhaps they were delayed in transit...severely delayed... Grrrr

So disappointed I sent off an E-mail A couple of hours later got their return E-mail
    You are right grindle good service response time.

And it was my spastic Irish banks fault.. they wouldn't release the details of the transaction so it could go through or some-such so I will have to call them up to tell them that. Yes I am trying to pay ComputerUniverse.de.

Will see report back after I whip the bank into shape and reorder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement