Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Back From Canada

Options
  • 25-09-2015 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Did anyone on here do your taxes from Canada?

Resident, deemed resident or non-resident?

A larger return if one was a non-resident or deemed resident during tax year.

Non-resident and deemed resident are the same apparently for tax purposes...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

If you live here you're resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

If you live here you're resident.

Its not as simple as that, one can argue their case.

Ultimately its up to the courts to decide whether you are or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Most government agencies said if I live here, I'm resident.

I bet there are more specifities to that, but broadly, they went with that. I follow their lead.

Filed taxes via tax back.com back in May, still waiting to hear back! Been in touch, they're waiting for Canadian govt. owed over 2k taxback!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Is it possible to do the taxes yourself? I don't want to pay someone else to get back what's owed to me. I've throw enough money away on Stupid things since I arrived in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

stevie1122 wrote: »
    Is it possible to do the taxes yourself? I don't want to pay someone else to get back what's owed to me. I've throw enough money away on Stupid things since I arrived in this country.

Yes you can do the taxes yourself and there's even a couple of free software programs that you can use to do them. However, I have heard it said that a good accountant will be able to claim back more money for you than what their fee would be, as they know the tax system better than you would (most of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Use 'Studio Tax' or 'Turbotax' and copy or let the software fill out the forms. I think studio tax is for if you are filing as a resident of Canada, so if you are filling as a non resident you can use Turbotax. Studio tax is free and Turbotax is free from 2013 onward for basic returns and $20 for each tax year earlier than that.

Or you can fill out you own forms downloaded from revenue.ca. If its your first time doing Canadian returns or you are not in Canada, you'll have to mail them. Once you see how the softwares do it, its simple enough.

Yes you can do the taxes yourself and there's even a couple of free software programs that you can use to do them. However, I have heard it said that a good accountant will be able to claim back more money for you than what their fee would be, as they know the tax system better than you would (most of the time).

Thanks I will try to give it a go myself I would imagine they will charge a fortune.
    JT26 wrote: »
    Depends,are you comfortable doing it yourself?have you registered on Revenue Canada's website?

No I haven't I must look into that I just did a few google searches before here and it just gave me an endless list of website most which seemed to contradict each other.
    Use 'Studio Tax' or 'Turbotax' and copy or let the software fill out the forms. I think studio tax is for if you are filing as a resident of Canada, so if you are filling as a non resident you can use Turbotax. Studio tax is free and Turbotax is free from 2013 onward for basic returns and $20 for each tax year earlier than that.

Or you can fill out you own forms downloaded from revenue.ca. If its your first time doing Canadian returns or you are not in Canada, you'll have to mail them. Once you see how the softwares do it, its simple enough.

Thanks I will look into those.

Thanks everyone for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Thanks I will try to give it a go myself I would imagine they will charge a fortune.

I have yet to file taxes here but from what I have seen so far, it should not cost more than $150.

• Advertisement

Thanks but yeah I wouldn't be willing to spend anymore then $20 especially considering how much tax I have already paid and I won't even get a 5th of that back in the best case scenario.

Advertisement