Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transfer to the wrong account

• 25-09-2015 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Gave someone (stupidly) the wrong account number for me so my money is gone to someone else. Is this easily reversed.

Edit: just to add sort code was correct ,account number a digit off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Firstly, there is a good chance that the wrong number that you gave won't even be someone's account number, so the transfer will fail and be returned to the senders account.

Secondly, the sender can contact their bank and tell them of the mistake and request the money be returned to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

DMcL1971 wrote:
    Secondly, the sender can contact their bank and tell them of the mistake and request the money be returned to them.

Thank you, I'm hoping this is the case. The sender's bank (we're with different banks) told him I should contact the bank to arrange for it to be returned to him or transferred to me. I thought this sounded odd. I have a feeling when I ring the bank tomorrow they will push me back to the sender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭3DataModem

They'll push you back to the sender all right. The sender has to advise the sending bank of the error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

3DataModem wrote:
    They'll push you back to the sender all right. The sender has to advise the sending bank of the error.

Good news the account number doesn't exist so it should be refunded automatically to the sender. So relieved

Advertisement