Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tower on the shantalla rd?

Options
  • 25-09-2015 4:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

As I was taking the junction turning from Maunsells ave. onto the Shantalla rd. I turned right bringing me west towards St. Helen's st. and the city center. Approximately 50 meters on the left hand side there is some construction work being carried out on one of the tall buildings there.... I could not help but notice an old stone cut tower peeping out from the rear of the building, dose anybody know the history of it or how long it is there?

I found its location interesting but couldn't stop to investigate further, i'm sure some of the wiser heads will have a take on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

the very tip of it can be seen from behind the hedge on google maps street view from the junction of Maunsells/ Shantalla:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2731294,-9.0729402,3a,75y,115.29h,70.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJP_AzToISG7zBhmIrve8kQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭ratracer

The building is called Fort Eyre. I don't know anything about the history of it, but I have been inside it a few years ago, it is all subdivided into apartments, many of which were very run down.
    It could be a magnificent property, I think there maybe restoration work going on there now. Perhaps it's history is related to Eyre Square??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

There's an article about the redevelopment here.
    Article wrote:
    The building was originally connected to the Eyre family of Eyre Square, who came to Galway from Wiltshire in the mid seventeen century.

Brothers Edward Hedges Eyre and Robert Hedges Eyre managed all the Eyre Estates in Eyre Square and Eyrecourt until Edward fled back to London leaving a trail of debt in his wake. Robert took over the estates and Fort Eyre was leased to his nephew Edward Eyre Maunsell, after whom Maunsells Road and Maunsells Park was named.

He inherited much of the portfolio on Robert’s death and a large portion of the land was put up for sale in 1852. The nuns are believed to have bought the property after that and used it for a convent and home for many years.

I viewed the tower apartment and one in the main house earlier in the year and they have been refurbished to a very high standard, they are really stunning now. The owner had all the history of the place but I can't really remember it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Thanks Folks

Advertisement