Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Banks ? Offset Mortgage

• 25-09-2015 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Ulster Bank / First Active Tracker Mortgage
    I have a former First Active and now Ulster Bank tracker mortgage. One of the features of this is I can draw down the difference between the original loan and the current balance , where in effect I have over paid / saved due to having an offset deposit.

I did this in 2010 to use it to finance a purchase. It was hassle free although it was clear that UB wish they didn;t have this product any longer...the lady on the phone said what we know - they're a lousy deal for the bank (hope I'm not upsetting anyone !).

HOWEVER - I now tried to avail of this again this year (its called a facility) and they have sent me what looks in effect to be a new loan agreement whereby I have to enter into and agree a mass of new conditions. To be fair I don;t believe these are overtly trying to change the rate on me but there is some language in there that concerns me.

MY QUESTION is - why do I have to agree to something new now, this was not part of the original deal, I have already availed of the facility and this feels like its designed to put me off. Has anyone else doen this.

I can confirm there has been no change to my credit or employment status and I have always made my payments.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Do you have your original loan conditions and compared to see what is new?

I have one of these too but it is years since I last availed of the facility amount so haven't encountered this problem.

They are a brilliant mortgage to have and definitely of no use to UB :), one of their little known benefits too is that they can actually be transferred to a new house without having to close off the existing mortgage which in effect means you can move that amount at the tracker rate to a new house, you will have to borrow any extra needed at today's rates but nevertheless a great advantage.

Advertisement