Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please recommend a fast phone!

Options
  • 25-09-2015 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Really hoping someone can assist me here..

My Dad wants a new phone-he currently has a Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus (not the most expensive phone!) and it's as slow as anything.

It's virtually unusuable at times, lags and hangs and things crash.
    He bought an 8gb SD card a few months ago to have more storage (guy in the shop said having more storage would speed up the phone) but it didn't make a bit of difference.

He's always clearing the cache, he has actually removed a load of apps because they were taking up too much space and it's silly because he only has the bare minimum of apps now.

My own phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini and although it does lag and hang, it doesn't behave anywhere near like how his does.

Anyway, it's his birthday soon and I'd love to buy him a new phone.
    Thing is, I'm not made of money and there's no way I could afford an iPhone or anything like that, so can anyone recommend a half decent smartphone that isn't as laggy/crashy as the Samsung?

I could probably spend €150-200 maximum, but I can't go over that..
    Hoping you can help me guys and thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Get a windows phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What size phone is he looking for? The Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 is the best bang for buck phone around I'd say. And I suspect there's a price drop coming. It's currently 169 on Vodafone, and 5euro to unlock the device to use with any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

What size phone is he looking for? The Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 is the best bang for buck phone around I'd say. And I suspect there's a price drop coming. It's currently 169 on Vodafone, and 5euro to unlock the device to use with any network.

That sounds perfect. I didn't realise Vodafone unlock phones?

Last time I rang them to have my phone unlocked, they told me I'd need to top up by €43 in order to have it unlocked.
    I ended up taking the phone to one of those phone-accessory shops.
    So Vodafone will unlock it in-store for a fiver?

This sounds great, thanks so much!!

fussyonion wrote: »
    That sounds perfect. I didn't realise Vodafone unlock phones?

Last time I rang them to have my phone unlocked, they told me I'd need to top up by €43 in order to have it unlocked.
    I ended up taking the phone to one of those phone-accessory shops.
    So Vodafone will unlock it in-store for a fiver?

This sounds great, thanks so much!!

No they wont. You have to unlock it yourself. Which you can do through Ebay. Go to the bargain alerts forum. You'll see a massive thread on it. Worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

If you want a phone that stays fast as the day you bought it then go windows phone. An unlocked Lumia 640 is around €150 in argos the 640 XL is 200 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A windows phone will stay fast as you won't be able to put as many apps on it. As there aren't any :)

In fairness my Windows phone is as fast now as it was on day one. The main apps are available but lots of smaller ones aren't like the UPC app and things like that.

When I replace it I will probably go for one of those The Vodafone Smart Ultra 6

I loved Windows Phone when I had it. Used it for 3 years or so, HTC 8X was my last WP device. Lovely OS. But limited by essential apps. I may go back to it in the future though.

OP, just be aware that the Smart Ultra 6 is rather massive in size. Which may not be ideal. Best go and check one out in store.

Advertisement