Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing a firearm from abroad

Options
  • 25-09-2015 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

I know this subject has been discussed before and I have (I think ) a good grasp of the mechanism for application and shipping:

I apply for license on fire arm, wait for license to be granted.
    I apply for import license and the seller applies for his export license.
    Arrange shipping etc.

The question I have is, 'what do I put down for section 3.3 Source of Firearm, section (B) Accquired from Private Source (c) Firearms Previous Cert's No. (c)....

I ask this because I am hoping to purchase from a private source in main land Europe and obviously the certificate number will not be on the Pulse system.

Is it a simple matter of explaining the source etc as noted in section 3.3 of the Firearm Certificate Application.

Just to clarify this is an unrestricted firearm and if I can license it here, it is worth to me, going through the application process.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You could explain the source on a separate piece of paper, but (and this is a guess) an easier option would be for the person to leave the firearm into a dealer and use the dealers details as the source. That may not be possible, so is only a possibility.

Stick with the explanation on a separate piece of paper.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Thanks Cass, I will give that option a go and if I can't get anywhere with that I'll get him to contact his regular dealer and go from there.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 k31

Cass wrote: »
    You could explain the source on a separate piece of paper, but (and this is a guess) an easier option would be for the person to leave the firearm into a dealer and use the dealers details as the source. That may not be possible, so is only a possibility.

Stick with the explanation on a separate piece of paper.

Hi, Over the years I have imported a number of firearms from different countries within the EU directly from the seller to myself. However , and I stand to be corrected I believe this is not possible anymore as the EU have tightened up on their controls on the transfer of firearms and only allow transfer between Registered Firearms Dealers. This will probably add to your overall cost of purchase.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've brought in one or two myself, but the last one i had to use a dealer in the UK and ship it to a local dealer here. I had a friendly dealer here so no charge, and luckily the lad selling the UK left it into a dealer for his own protection (sale, cost, legalities, etc).

I did not know, nor do i now, if it's mandatory now. It's the same with selling privately here. You can sell form person to person, but because of the line taken by some FOs they make it seem (or believe) that all sales MUST go through a dealer. Not the case. However you can stand on principle or just work with it to get what you want.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

K31, thanks for the info.
    I recently downloaded the import docs etc from the DOJ and the form allows for either a dealer or individual, so I am hoping that the form is not out of synchronicity with current EU policy.

Please see attached picture from guidance document of for importing etc firearms etc for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 k31

K31, thanks for the info.
    I recently downloaded the import docs etc from the DOJ and the form allows for either a dealer or individual, so I am hoping that the form is not out of synchronicity with current EU policy.

Please see attached picture from guidance document of for importing etc firearms etc for Ireland.

And I hope so too. Best of luck.

Advertisement