Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporarily rented

Options
  • 25-09-2015 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

Looking for some little advise. I rented my house for a year when I went on a trip out of country. 100% of rent was paying mortgage which was way higher than what i was receiving despite also getting mortgage relief. I am back living at home a year now and the revenue have just contacted me asking whether my property has always being a private residence.

Am i correct in thinking that i will owe: Income tax for the year (despite only working 3 months) USC, and all mortgage relief since i left 2 years ago?

thanks for any advise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

Carrolli wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for some little advise. I rented my house for a year when I went on a trip out of country. 100% of rent was paying mortgage which was way higher than what i was receiving despite also getting mortgage relief. I am back living at home a year now and the revenue have just contacted me asking whether my property has always being a private residence.

Am i correct in thinking that i will owe: Income tax for the year (despite only working 3 months) USC, and all mortgage relief since i left 2 years ago?

thanks for any advise

Technically as soon as you moved out and it wasn't your primary residence therefore becomes and investment if you like you should first off have lost your mortgage relief and paid income tax on it.
    I am sure some people on here will give good advice but my gut feeling is you should have been paying all the taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TRS should be repayable with a minimum of fuss from the revenue.

Although you weren;t working you still had an income from the rental, I suspect you'll pay very little tax. Get an accountant to go through it all for you (fee is deductable).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Your post is not 100% clear so I am hesitant to give you any advice but you will be liable for income tax on the rental income. You will have had to register the tenancy with the PRTB. You were probably not entitled to TRS. You may be liable for NPPR.
    If Revenue are asking questions like this I would expect a bill through the door in due course.

Advertisement