Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton to Cork commuter train

Options
  • 25-09-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I'm considering taking up a job in Cork and will be travelling from Ardmore in Waterford, daily. I'm planning on driving to Midleton and getting the train (745 or 815) from there, returning on the 1745 or 1815 train.

Can anyone please give me information on the following:

Parking - appears to be available at the station for €2 daily. Is there ever a case that no spaces are available in the morning?

Reliability of the service?

Cost - appears to be €8.70 return but is there a taxsaver ticket available for this service?

Seating - are seats available at these times?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

1. car spaces are always available as everyone parks outside the station so they dont have to pay ! :P

2. Service is very reliable and always on time.

3. Used to use a student ticket but i guess you have your own ticket worked out.

4. Seats will be limited, but as midleton is the last stop/start station you just have to get on first to get a seat. I never missed out on a seat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Did they start charging again for the parking?

If you can get a tax saver ticket you'll save a fortune. You can add the city busses too for about a tenner a month. That's great for rainy days. Your employer will sort that out.

Getting a seat in won't be a problem, out might be. Those would be the two busiest trains outbound of an evening. Unless you cut it very fine you should be grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You could always drive into Kent station and park there (€8 per day).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Giants

mordeith wrote: »
    You could always drive into Kent station and park there (€8 per day).

Thanks but I've been dealing with Dublin traffic for 10 years and don't fancy signing up to more of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Giants wrote: »
    Thanks but I've been dealing with Dublin traffic for 10 years and don't fancy signing up to more of it!

You're only looking at the lower Glanmire road for traffic. It's usually fine. There's very little delays on the N25 once you are off the Glanmire roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

also would be worth signing up for the bike sharing. There are bikes in the train station and it takes 5 mins to get into town.

also would be worth signing up for the bike sharing. There are bikes in the train station and it takes 5 mins to get into town.

I have a card for Dublin bikes. Any idea whether they work in Cork too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

I have a card for Dublin bikes. Any idea whether they work in Cork too?

Oddly, no they don't.
    You'll have to sign up for the Cork ones separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

Don't drive into the city.
    Would it not be easier to rent somewhere in cork ? Eg Glanmire or midelton, little island or something. Rather than traveling from Ardmore everyday

Don't drive into the city.
    Would it not be easier to rent somewhere in cork ? Eg Glanmire or midelton, little island or something. Rather than traveling from Ardmore everyday

I own the house in Ardmore!

• Advertisement

I own the house in Ardmore!

Ah okay when u said u were working in Dublin I presumed you were from there. Well I would advise against driving into the city. However it just seems so long Driving from Ardmore everyday and then onto train and into work and doing it all again that evening.

Ah okay when u said u were working in Dublin I presumed you were from there. Well I would advise against driving into the city. However it just seems so long Driving from Ardmore everyday and then onto train and into work and doing it all again that evening.

It's a short - medium term plan.

It's a short - medium term plan.

Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I live in midleton and drive into the city everyday.
    Parking is 8 euro on the quays and being honest I'd rather be in my comfortable car than some stinky train.
    Traffic isn't that bad using glanmire road in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnrm

I live in Midleton - commuting daily - I think the service is great.

I used to drive every day which was fine, but I hated the traffic.
    I switched to getting the train almost a year ago and have the taxsaver through work with a 10 mins walk on either end.
    For E10 you can get Bikeshare (E10 per city) - this puts all of the city within easy reach. Many commuters bring their own bicycles on the train.

There's WiFi on the train, so you can either do chill out or catch up on your email and stuff .
    The trains are clean, unless some Idiot puts their feet on the seats.

The trains are very much on time.
    Criticism? There is an inordinate about of Irish Rail staff that seem to be sitting around the station.

Try it for a week, see of you like it. That's what I did.

Edit: I believe they use leap cards now - not sure how these work, but another plus.

Advertisement