Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave when leaving employment

Options
  • 25-09-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello everyone,

I am going to leave my current employment soon. I still have some days of annual leave left.
    I know it can be paid out at the end of your employment. And this is what I would prefer.

My question is what happens if I want it to be paid out and the company wants me to take it during the notice period?

Are there any regulations for a case like this ?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi Santa

When I did it, I just used what leave I had to reduce my notice period. It suited me at the time.

I'd imagine the final say though, whetheer its paid or taken as notice, will be stated in your contract of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your employer chooses when you use your annual leave. So - you take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SantaClaw

Sorry should have mentioned that before. My contracts states that remaining annual leave may be paid out. No further details given.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

it will be at the discretion of your employer and manager , I have had offers to use my leave up while working my notice rejected by employers and seen people being forced to use every day leave during their notice period.

As a rule you are not very productive while working notice so unless you have a lot to hand over I would expect the employer to minimise his costs and enforce the leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

SantaClaw wrote: »
    Sorry should have mentioned that before. My contracts states that remaining annual leave may be paid out. No further details given.

But you will get taxed on your annual leave payment.

Its better to take the days off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    But you will get taxed on your annual leave payment.

Its better to take the days off

Erm of course you will , but its still more money

money > Holidays to some people .

Advertisement