Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht

• 25-09-2015 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26

Hi, I am thinking about going to Colaiste Chamuis this summer. I am currently in higher level Irish (5th year). I have never been to a Gaeltacht before but want to go this summer to improve my Irish for the leaving cert.
    I will probably go on my own because none of my friends want to go with me. I am quite a shy person at first.
    is it easy to make friends at a Gaeltacht? and is colaiste chamuis a good Gaeltacht?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LCBanter

Coláiste Chamuis is brilliant! Spent four happy years there :)

PM for more info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 theirishgirl

LCBanter wrote: »

PM for more info!

Hi! thanks for replying to my post!
    It's my first time going to a Gaeltacht so I'm just really curious.
    What's the difference between tulach, camus and ros a mhil?
    Is it easy to make friends?
    thanks! :)

PM for more info!

By the way, I would PM but I'm only new to this website and not sure how to use it, sorry !

Hi, I am thinking about going to Colaiste Chamuis this summer. I am currently in higher level Irish (5th year). I have never been to a Gaeltacht before but want to go this summer to improve my Irish for the leaving cert.
    I will probably go on my own because none of my friends want to go with me. I am quite a shy person at first.
    is it easy to make friends at a Gaeltacht? and is colaiste chamuis a good Gaeltacht?

My son and a couple of his mates went there in 2014 (between 5th and 6th years).

They rated it highly for the craic they had, and us parents rated it highly for the boost it gave to their Irish.

Win-win, I'd guess you'd call it.

What part of the country are you from? That would tell me more about which one you should go to! RaM would be perceived to be those from the cities such as Dublin and Galway..

• Advertisement

What part of the country are you from? That would tell me more about which one you should go to! RaM would be perceived to be those from the cities such as Dublin and Galway..

I'm from Kildare! Near the newbridge area

My son and a couple of his mates went there in 2014 (between 5th and 6th years).

They rated it highly for the craic they had, and us parents rated it highly for the boost it gave to their Irish.

Win-win, I'd guess you'd call it.
    The Gaeltacht seems to have very good reviews, thank you!

I'm from Carlow myself,went to Tulach Cúrsa C :)

I'm from Carlow myself,went to Tulach Cúrsa C :)

does it matter which course I go to out of the three options (Camus, tulach or RAM)? :)

does it matter which course I go to out of the three options (Camus, tulach or RAM)? :)

Not really,but RaM is the largest and I'd argue the worst for Irish! Tulach or Camus if you were to ask me :)

• Advertisement

Not really,but RaM is the largest and I'd argue the worst for Irish! Tulach or Camus if you were to ask me :)

ah right, okay! thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

Hey! I went to Colaiste Chamuis this year and honestly had the best 3 weeks of my life! Went to Tulach Cursa B and there was a huge amount there from Dublin and also a lot from Sligo and Offaly!
    In Leaving Cert now and I adore Irish hoping to get a good grade in the LC! Friends went to Ros a Mhil and hated it but I had another friend who went to Camus and adored it! Think there seemed to a good few from Kildare!

lalabear53 wrote: »
    Hey! I went to Colaiste Chamuis this year and honestly had the best 3 weeks of my life! Went to Tulach Cursa B and there was a huge amount there from Dublin and also a lot from Sligo and Offaly!
    In Leaving Cert now and I adore Irish hoping to get a good grade in the LC! Friends went to Ros a Mhil and hated it but I had another friend who went to Camus and adored it! Think there seemed to a good few from Kildare!

how come they didn't like ros a mhil? I am probably going to go to course a and ros a mhil is the only option!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

how come they didn't like ros a mhil? I am probably going to go to course a and ros a mhil is the only option!

Not really sure to be honest I know one girl just was so lonely! I think the others found it very D4ish. I'm sure you'll be fine though! I went to Tulach alone and made so so so many new friends :) some people just suit the gaeltacht others don't!
    Cursa C is probably the best for LC but their all fine! :)

lalabear53 wrote: »
    Not really sure to be honest I know one girl just was so lonely! I think the others found it very D4ish. I'm sure you'll be fine though! I went to Tulach alone and made so so so many new friends :) some people just suit the gaeltacht others don't!
    Cursa C is probably the best for LC but their all fine! :)
    oh really? well thank you! ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pure Princess!!

Any opinions on Colaiste Lurgan? Hoping to do Cúrsa D?

Any opinions on Colaiste Lurgan? Hoping to do Cúrsa D?

never been there but i've heard that it is overrated and there are too many people but others seem to love it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some people love strawberry ice cream, some love chocolate. Others heard that their brother's friend's sister ate banana ice cream once and was sick.

Your Gaeltacht experience will depend first and foremost on you, then on the random combination of people who happen to be there. Factors like the weather, the quality of food in your accommodation, the general mix of people and the classes put on by the college all affect a person's perception of the college.

Thus, there is no guaranteed great craic Gaeltacht, neither is there going to be any guaranteed improvement in anyone's Irish just because they happen to be in a particular place.

It would be quite difficult to stay in business in a small place like Ireland if a particular college was bad from everyone's point of view.

These threads are a bit like the 'Should I do French or Physics?', 'Can I go from an F to an A1 in three weeks?', 'If I got a D3 in the Mock can I get an A2 in June?', 'Which is easier, Maths or Art?' threads.

It depends on the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭UnitedFan31

I have been to Colaiste Chamuis twice and felt it was a huge help for me. Great course and I wouldn't have been able to do HL Irish for the Leaving Cert. without it.

Advertisement