Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-readers

Options
  • 25-09-2015 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

Has anyone come across deals on e-readers? Preferably one that supports epub format.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Ageyev wrote: »
    Has anyone come across deals on e-readers? Preferably one that supports epub format.

Many thanks

I've bought quite a few, but my current fav is the kobo aura, I bought it second hand on amazon and lost it after many months of good service, then I bought one at Easons and it broke, so I just bought a second hand one on amazon and it's been fine.

The reason i go with the aura is it's got lighting, and it allows you to read all the main formats, epub, mobi, cbr etc and its really syylish, can be bought on amazon used for 70 sterling currently (no brainer) and with a nice cover, it turns off when you close the cover, no need to use the switch.

Before that I had sony, 3 different readers, all good, but no lighting and I'd recommend them too, but they don't support mobi and they have no reading light (I find a light is a real bonus).

My wife has the kobo glow, it used to be mine, also bought second hand. Its also a great reader.

So basically, I can't recommend the sony unless you read a lot of pdfs, they're great for pdfs, actually the best ever for pdfs. Other than pdfs the kobo owns them.

You'd want to be nuts to buy a kindle, they are mobi only and although they are cheap, that's a serious limitation in my book.

All my readers, bar the easons purchase, have lasted me as long as I've been able to hold on to them, so relaibility is great. Even the ones with front lighting last months between charges.

If you go for an aura, be sure to buy this case, its so nice: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coodio-Leather-Standby-Premium-Magnetic/dp/B00H57ITHM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443225823&sr=1-3&keywords=Kobo+Aura

Also, IMO contrast is really important, always go for a dark colour frame, white frames really show up the grayness on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Thanks for the recommendation. I have a Nook (€40 via the Argos BA thread). Looking to get a cheap reader for a gift. I didn't know the Sony's we're good for PDFs. The Nook sucks rendering PDFs - some pages double up and you get an overview page preview style page following by a text page and the font format and size changes. It's a total mess.

I feel spoiled getting the Nook so cheap.

Yeah, that's a nice price alright, and for most formats the nook is fine. But the kobo is the very best of the bunch, but it used to be really expensive when it first came out, not second hand its a no brainer, you can chjoose from the kobo glo, aura, aura hd or the aura h20( hd that;s water proof)

I chose the aura because its a 6 inch screen, with a really small flat bezel and it fits nicely in my pocket, although the glo and the hd/h2o have higher resolution (not by too much). But the kindle, kobos are totally inferior to the sony for pdfs.

I also think you're better going for used models, mostly because they've stood the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

You'd want to be nuts to buy a kindle, they are mobi only and although they are cheap, that's a serious limitation in my book.

Calibre sofware is an essential (free) tool for any Kindle owner and will convert any of the other formats for uploading to Kindle, so unless you're buying it for your Granny it's not really a limitation.

Furzy wrote: »
    Calibre sofware is an essential (free) tool for any Kindle owner and will convert any of the other formats for uploading to Kindle, so unless you're buying it for your Granny it's not really a limitation.

+1 to that, it's all I use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Mother Bird

+2. And I'm a Granny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I use Calibre with the Nook. Only annoying thing is the waynit keeps trying to sync my books, guess I should adjust the settings.

What's the cheapest people have seen a Kindle priced at?

Advertisement