Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Address Issue

Options
  • 25-09-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Old address used to be Dun Laoghaire or Cabinteely, both were Dublin 18.

That new Eircode thing came in and when I was trying to get my driving license the woman told me my address is no longer Dublin 18. She said it was just Co. Dublin, no number. I exclaimed that it's always been technically Cabinteely but put down Dun laoghaire because the post was quicker. It's a bit complicated.

Anyhoo, so she said Cabinteely was no longer Dublin 18, it's simply just Co. Dublin. "Only way you'll get this license is to put Co. Dublin, not Dublin 18".
    Government lady told me that, so fine, that's my address. Moving on.

Today when trying to get insurance, company said I was Dublin 18. I exclaimed that I was just plain old Co. Dublin. They said, "No, you're Dublin 18. We won't mail the insurance to you unless you state you're Dublin 18".

My question is, which of the two people is correct? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Dún Laoghaire was never Dublin 18. Dun Laoghaire always was and is Co. Dublin.

My understanding is that your postal address is based on your sorting office so if the Sorting Office for Cabinteely is in Dún Laoghaire, then Dún Laoghaire is your postal address. Similarly people living in Stillorgan should not use Stillorgan as their postal address, they should use (Stillorgan, if they wish), Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

Eircode is not An Post so no-one knows where they live any more!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Does the eircode start with 'D18'?

I reckon just put 'Dublin' followed by your postcode

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

My understanding is that your postal address is based on your sorting office so if the Sorting Office for Cabinteely is in Dún Laoghaire, then Dún Laoghaire is your postal address. Similarly people living in Stillorgan should not use Stillorgan as their postal address, they should use (Stillorgan, if they wish), Blackrock, Co. Dublin.
    According to Eircode, I'm not Dun Laoghaire, but now Glenageary instead... Wait, so who runs Eircode? It thought it was the governments new thing.
    I've actually not received mail because I put down Dun Laoghaire. Lost 1 delivery, another driver had to ring me cause of the confusion of being in 2 places at once. When I put down Glenageary instead, I got them. Either that's bad luck or they are really strict about the new addresses.
    Does the eircode start with 'D18'?

Mine starts with A96, whatever the f that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Simple solution, omit the eircode. You're under no obligation to use it and most people are ignoring it. Give the address you always used to both the licence people and the insurance company and carry on.

For the record, this is more or less accurate to locate your postal district

dublin-postal-code-map.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I used to live in House, Road, Cabinteely, Dublin 18. This then became House, Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin and is now House, Road, Glenageary, Co. Dublin. Whenever the address changed any post that was delivered was marked by An Post to use the new address as the old address was no longer valid.

TL:DR Use Glenageary, Co. Dublin as your address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Glenageary Is the sorting office, not really your address. its complicated.

just use this: http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx
    this generates your correct address.

Mine starts with A96, whatever the f that means.
    A96 puts you in Co.Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Simple solution, omit the eircode. You're under no obligation to use it and most people are ignoring it.
    I have no intention of using it. Thought it was considered 3rd party and unofficial.
    That new Eircode thing came in and when I was trying to get my driving license the woman told me my address is no longer Dublin 18. She said it was just Co. Dublin, no number.
    What exactly happened, did you give her your house number and she looked it up the eircode or what? My understanding was all/most couriers etc were ignoring, and there are known serious mistakes like different counties.

If you did not give her an eircode or she did not look it up how do you know its related to eircodes?
    Dún Laoghaire was never Dublin 18. Dun Laoghaire always was and is Co. Dublin.
    agreed, but we have no idea where the actual OP's street is, the first line is the decider IMO, I see all sorts of nonsense in between.

Lots are saying their eircode is incorrect but when questioned they have no real idea how they came to think their original address was correct. So I would imagine many of the "incorrect" eircodes probably match the official an post one.
    ted1 wrote: »
    just use this: http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx
    this generates your correct address.
    That is what I use. If people want my postal address I give them the one the postal service tell me is correct. If getting in a taxi I often use a different one, if speaking to people not familiar with areas I will use another.

Out of interest, what's your gripe with eircodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Simple solution, omit the eircode. You're under no obligation to use it and most people are ignoring it. Give the address you always used to both the licence people and the insurance company and carry on.

For the record, this is more or less accurate to locate your postal district
    That doesnt make any sense to me - according to that map, I'm in Dublin 16, but my address is Co. Dublin and my routing key is A94. If I was in Dublin 16, it would be D16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

homer911 wrote: »
    That doesnt make any sense to me - according to that map, I'm in Dublin 16, but my address is Co. Dublin and my routing key is A94. If I was in Dublin 16, it would be D16

Same here, I live on the Blackrock side of the N11 just near enough to Newtownpark Avenue and our address is Foxrock, Dublin 18, sorting office is Ballyogan. Makes no sense map-wise (the one above or in general) but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Same here, I live on the Blackrock side of the N11 just near enough to Newtownpark Avenue and our address is Foxrock, Dublin 18, sorting office is Ballyogan. Makes no sense map-wise (the one above or in general) but it is what it is.

It's not, it's your house number and street name followed by Dublin 18. The people in the sorting office in Ballyogan don't care what suburb you claim to live in - Deansgrange, Foxrock or Blackrock.

But if you really want to be exact, you actually live in the civil townland of either Deansgrange or Galloping Green North...

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,721522,727018,8,10

The same applies to the multiplicity of placenames in the likes of Dublin 4 - Irishtown, Ringsend, Sandymount and Ballsbridge. None of them are needed in the postal address - 10 Bridge St., Dublin 4 is a complete and perfectly adequate address though you'l invariably find that people who live in Ballsbridge and Sandymount are very particular that the suburb is used in their postal address even though it's not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

The map above is very approximate. This guy has a better map
    http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/eircode-routing-keys

and while you can just give your old address to the licence people or the insurance company, they are under no obligation to provide you with service if they are unclear where you live. Most likely you do not live in Cabinteely, so not in D18.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

Sorry I can't help you but it might be a great question for the 'legal discussion' forum - "What is my address?" I'm not a lawyer but love reading some of the discussions there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

Or ask your local postman? He might give you the 'practical' answer if getting your post is a priority.

Advertisement