Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way to commute from Clonee to Sandyford Industrial Estate?

Options
  • 25-09-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi,
    Please need a help!
    What is the best way and least time taking process to commute from Littlepace to Sandyford Industrial Estate? My friend advised to take a lift if I know someone who travel but How to get people?
    Please advise! its for normal office hours
    tx in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Driving is the only practical option. It takes about 30 mins if you avoid the 7.45-9.00 jam.

Other than that, take the 70 Bus to St Stephens Green, get off and walk to the Luas Terminus at Stephens Green shopping centre, then Luas Green Line to Sandyford. 1hr30 / 1hr 40 journey time, each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭memomtoo

Thanks a mill for the advise!

I need to adjust for few months until I find myself driving a car or find someone who can share a space in their car(I will not go free as its a benefit to commute this way so I could work out). Eventually I will get a car

So if I need to reach there by 8.50am? Should I start by 7am everyday and If i leave office by 5.40pm then am home by 7.30/8pm??? Any train facility you know that is easier

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The train wouldn't really work, your nearest station is Hansfield but that goes to Docklands.

Do try to arrange a car share, it would be much easier as it's a long / expensive distance on public transport every day.

I agree, the train is of little use to you. You would need to walk a bit to catch the 39 to Clonsilla station, then travel to Connolly Station, then a 15/20 minute walk to Stephens Green and onto the Luas as above, probably at least 2hrs 15 mins

Although now that I think of it....

Walk to Phibblestown Road (Castaheany) and get the 0707 bus 39 to Clonsilla station, then get the 0731 train from there, change at Connolly for the DART to Blackrock, then the 0830 bus 114 to Sandyford, takes about 20 mins, you should make it before 9am... 2hrs door to door...

Either way, get a tax saver commuter ticket through your workplace that covers bus, rail and tram, then at least you will have some flexibility and will be paying the least possible for it. That will cost you between €90-120 per month depending on your tax rate, but at least you will have it to use 24/7

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I agree, the train is of little use to you. You would need to walk a bit to catch the 39 to Clonsilla station, then travel to Connolly Station, then a 15/20 minute walk to Stephens Green and onto the Luas as above, probably at least 2hrs 15 mins

Although now that I think of it....

Walk to Phibblestown Road (Castaheany) and get the 0707 bus 39 to Clonsilla station, then get the 0731 train from there, change at Connolly for the DART to Blackrock, then the 0830 bus 114 to Sandyford, takes about 20 mins, you should make it before 9am... 2hrs door to door...

Either way, get a tax saver commuter ticket through your workplace that covers bus, rail and tram, then at least you will have some flexibility and will be paying the least possible for it. That will cost you between €90-120 per month depending on your tax rate, but at least you will have it to use 24/7

Great to know all!if its a matter of train I can go on folding bike to reach to clonsilla but wondering how to carry folding bike at blackrock station.
    Is there any advise to find a source where I will know any people who commute by car from here,I can help them give a hand to save a bit on their petrol costs;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Without a car, it will be a fairly soul destroying commute. Any chance you'd consider renting a shared room in a house in Sandyford area if your personal circumstances allow? Alternatively, rent anywhere along the Green Luas line but rents don't come cheap in that area.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Without a car, it will be a fairly soul destroying commute. Any chance you'd consider renting a shared room in a house in Sandyford area if your personal circumstances allow? Alternatively, rent anywhere along the Green Luas line but rents don't come cheap in that area.

I have a family life with a child so is tough to do that I think:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

memomtoo wrote: »
    Hi,
    Please need a help!
    What is the best way and least time taking process to commute from Littlepace to Sandyford Industrial Estate? My friend advised to take a lift if I know someone who travel but How to get people?
    Please advise! its for normal office hours
    tx in advance

Get the train at Hansfield or Clonsilla. If Hansfield, change at Clonsilla. Get off at Tara Street and walk to Stephen's Green. Take the LUAS to Sandyford. Walk to your office.

is this the best time saving option?Yes if it works out I can go on train too.
    its mind boggling thing I know but I cannot keep denying offer for sake of travelling problems again. I want to adjust till I get full license to own a car

If I take a folding electric bike so I can go until clonsilla and catch train to reach Blackrock then cycle till Sandyford? Would you think am crazy at any odd weathers? If I travel on train from Clonsilla to Blackrock with one change, its only an hour of travel but not sure how cycling will do??anybody went through this type of experience

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Using a folding bike to Hansfields, Dockland, Stephens Green, Luas, Sandyford is probably going to take you about 1hr 30 average.
    The train to Blackrock, then cycling to Sandyford probably the same.

You don't want an electric folding bike. The distances are too short you don't need it. You want it as light as possible to move on and off the train. At peak the trains are so packed you'd need something as small as possible to carry, and quick to fold (you'll be doing it a lot) That means an expensive dahon or brompton. Some cheap folding bike will break your heart. If you get a lift, you can fit the bike in the boot of the car. Again a small bike is an advantage.

You'd have to try it and see. But I think with all the connections it would take too long. I use a folding bike and think its brilliant. But it has limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ap73

Many of the estates/residents associations in littlepace have Facebook pages. You could probably join one and ask them to share your post to see if anyone going your direction.

beauf wrote: »
    Using a folding bike to Hansfields, Dockland, Stephens Green, Luas, Sandyford is probably going to take you about 1hr 30 average.
    The train to Blackrock, then cycling to Sandyford probably the same.

You don't want an electric folding bike. The distances are too short you don't need it. You want it as light as possible to move on and off the train. At peak the trains are so packed you'd need something as small as possible to carry, and quick to fold (you'll be doing it a lot) That means an expensive dahon or brompton. Some cheap folding bike will break your heart. If you get a lift, you can fit the bike in the boot of the car. Again a small bike is an advantage.

You'd have to try it and see. But I think with all the connections it would take too long. I use a folding bike and think its brilliant. But it has limits.

Sounds like an adventure for me-Journey to the south of Dublin:) Soul wrecking...tx

ap73 wrote: »
    Many of the estates/residents associations in littlepace have Facebook pages. You could probably join one and ask them to share your post to see if anyone going your direction.

Oh my goodness, sounds like a plan! how do we find out the pages, i will be delighted to do that really. Wish I find something there seriously.

I'll start the research now and post back the update so someone could get help next if finding troubles like this

Car sharing can be a disaster. Personal compatiblity, insurance liability, holiday days not coinciding, driver has an urgent matter arising and can't travel on a particular day, or maybe changes job.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Car sharing can be a disaster. Personal compatiblity, insurance liability, holiday days not coinciding, driver has an urgent matter arising and can't travel on a particular day, or maybe changes job.

My goodness, never thought of these many things involved. Thought I could adjust by remaining calm and nice.

Finally when I'm trying to work out with several options I probably feel that Commuting from Clonsilla station to Tara Street then go Stephen's green to catch Luas to go Sandyford will do good for me.
    But wondering if am not fast at cycling-If at all I take folding bike[prefer organizing and electric bike soon for any odd days]
    From Littlepace, will it be 10mins and then at tara st. its another 10mins should be grand is it?
    most of times i notice people carrying normal bikes unfolded too so just incase if am in hurry, it should work. How about Luas? Will they allow folding/normal bike folded or unfolded?

If I were you I'd consider and electric bike/or scooter of some sort. So you are master of your own commute. Once you are on a bike/scooter traffic, train connections, delays have no effect on you at all.

Technically bikes of nay kind aren't allowed on the luas. If its in a bag though its just luggage.

http://www.foldabikes.com/PriceListHTML/bag/bag.html

The Dockland train is better for bikes, its less busy. The Connolly one is always packed. So often its difficult to get your bike on and off the luggage rack. Or even have standing space in the doorway not being used.

You can roll some folding bikes and not lift them.
    http://unfoldandcycle.com/2012/03/09/how-do-you-roll-your-brompton/

A lot of Dublin stations aren't that easy to get through with a folding bike. If the lift isn't working. if the bike is heavy its a bit of effort to carry on stairs or escalator. I've a cheap folding bike which is more compact than many but its only just about carry-able. Many cheap foldingj bikes are too heavy and not small enough when folded. If I was getting new one I'd get one as light as possible. A Dahon Uno, or Brompton Single Speed.

What is the cost please? Also wondering if am not fast cycler, if am cycling from littlepace to clonsilla how quick can I get in?
    My train plans are to take Blackrock train from Clonsilla where I need one change of train at City but its an hour time overall travel then 35mins bike to sandyford! if its too tough then go to Tara station and cycle till Luas of Stephen green to catch Sandyford tram, am I making any sense?tx

Also one more advantage if while returning I think from Blackrock its directly going to Clonsilla with no change at city

• Advertisement

A good folding bike is 500~1000.

You should test the route first though. Our estimates of timing may not account for delays, the crowding on the train etc.

I think it will be too long/too far for everyday.

Also one more advantage if while returning I think from Blackrock its directly going to Clonsilla with no change at city

There used to be one direct train in the morning. I don't know the timetable anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

What is the cost please? Also wondering if am not fast cycler, if am cycling from littlepace to clonsilla how quick can I get in?
    My train plans are to take Blackrock train from Clonsilla where I need one change of train at City but its an hour time overall travel then 35mins bike to sandyford! if its too tough then go to Tara station and cycle till Luas of Stephen green to catch Sandyford tram, am I making any sense?tx

This is probably a commute you should test yourself some morning prior to accepting the job based on your cycle speed/ability and also to test the logistics of the bus/rail connections.

Before I bought my place in Ongar, I did a mock commute to and from to test the "a short hop from the City Centre" spiel the real estate agents fed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

You could park at Hansfield in the bike locker. What about getting train into city centre, then city biking to Stephens green Luas?

Advertisement