Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is SIM free same as network free

Options
  • 25-09-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭

Bought Samsung S5 in Argos just now for 464 euro and in a chat about what size sim it took he said I would need to pick my network because the phone would take a sim from any network and them be locked to that network for life, with no unlock option after say euro 150 or so on pre-pay.
    Same one SIM free in CPWH is 700 euro.
    Same one is 469 euro in 3 shop on PAYG with a 155 euro top up requirement before it gets unlocked.
    Thanks as always for insights

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

be locked to that network for life

Maybe it’s region lock he meant?? Did you have to pick a network while in argos store? Kind of defeats the purpose of SIM free and argos site description for S5 “Network provider: Sim free.” which implies that SIM free = network free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, this is what is on side of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Looking at the Argos.co.uk website that has Q&A for each product it does not lock when 1st SIM is inserted.

Argos Q. wrote:

Once i put my sim into this phone is it locked to that supplier
    1 year, 5 months ago
    If after I have used ( for example an o2 sim ) for a while . Can I swap my sim cards to another supplier ( for example orange) ?

Or is the phone locked to the first sim I put in
    Hi, thank you for your question.

Having looked into this for you, I can confirm that the Sim Free Samsung Galaxy S5 Mobile Phone - Blue is not locked to a network and does not become locked to a network when used with a networked SIM card.

Thank you for using Argos Q&A

I assume if it lock it would say in the description as they did for some Iphones a while back that had the warning on the description that phone will lock to the Network of the 1st SIM card inserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, put in the Sim so will switch it at some point just to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Thanks, put in the Sim so will switch it at some point just to see.

Please do let us know how you get on, I've been looking at phones from Argos too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Any phone bought in argos is sim free and not tied to any network..

Advertisement