Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I tell landlord?

Options
  • 25-09-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys I live in a split semi detached house, it's a house split into two parts, 2 bed in mine and next door has 3 bed.

Neighbours share the driveway and garden, we don't drive.

Neighbours have 3 grown men, 2 teenager boys, 1 teenager girl, 1 young girl, 5 dogs and 1 woman. living next door. Driveway is always full with 4 cars, and they have started to park on the garden.

Just annoys me how the dogs screech non stop, smell of weed constantly from the house, teenager and his friends hanging around the garden. And the bins are always full we share bins, landlord pays but they literally fill it up within a few days, so my boyfriends mom takes our rubbish away when there is no room.

Landlord told them recently that I could have use of the garden because the screechy dogs terrify my child when she is out in the back garden as they bark and growl constantly.

They have only started to park on the grass since told, I dont think landlord knows about so much living there either.

Should I tell or just stop being over reactive

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Either put up with it or leave. What good will telling the landlord do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sounds like the property is over occupied for starters. A three bed would normally be registered for six bed spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If you can, just move. If not You should get your own bins with the local bin company in an account in your name.

The rest you will just have to put up with it as long as they are not parking on your rented property and in your garden.

The landlord in this situation would have to tread carefully. Him causing issues would not turn out well for him as they could easily wreck the place, stop paying rent and so on. It would be better, safer and easier for him to remove you then to remove them, as unfair as that sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

They sound like pricks. It's a crappy situation so I'd try to move if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

If you do move, don't be afraid to report them to the Gardai about the weed, think of it as a parting gift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

<mod snip>
    One legal reason why he shouldn't do this?

Or for that matter a moral reason considering their dick behaviour may means the OP has to leave his home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Don't do this, don't be a dick and go further than you need to

I'm not against the recreational use of marijuana however when the odor which a lot of people do not like starts to seep into the neighboring property and shared facilities then they are crossing a line, assuming that the op has talked to them at least once about it and they have continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I'm not against the recreational use of marijuana however when the odor which a lot of people do not like starts to seep into the neighboring property and shared facilities then they are crossing a line, assuming that the op has talked to them at least once about it and they have continued.

Op never said it seeped into the house...i live mid terrace betwern two good mates who smoke non stop. Apart from walking past one doir in the morning i couldnt get a smell...my advice to op, its a house, not a home, you dont like it, move out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

joeguevara wrote: »
    Op never said it seeped into the house...i live mid terrace betwern two good mates who smoke non stop. Apart from walking past one doir in the morning i couldnt get a smell...my advice to op, its a house, not a home, you dont like it, move out!

smell of weed constantly from the house

They live in a semi detached which judging from the OP's description is a detached house divided in two and share facilities such as the lawn. They claim they can smell the weed, It is logical to assume they can either smell it in their own home (that is what it is, I don't know why you suggest it isn't) or in the shared facility of the lawn or driveway which is exactly what I said in my post.

Weed has a very potent odor and some people are more sensitive to it than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Or for that matter a moral reason considering their dick behaviour may means the OP has to leave his home?

They are teenagers. Why ruin their future chances of working/travelling abroad over something that is being legalised and decriminalised in many places? Imagine that happened to some kid over that sneaky bottle of cider he had at 14. That was illegal.

OP, tell your landlord if you think he will actually do anything. However, as others have pointed out, he might do nothing. If you can, move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

They are teenagers. Why ruin their future chances of working/travelling abroad over something that is being legalised and decriminalised in many places? Imagine that happened to some kid over that sneaky bottle of cider he had at 14. That was illegal.

OP, tell your landlord if you think he will actually do anything. However, as others have pointed out, he might do nothing. If you can, move.

Because it's a crime. If these people had more respect for society's rules the OP wouldn't have to move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You can ask the landlord to sort the issue out. If he fails then you have recourse to prtb. Hard to see what the resolution would be though.

Feck them, they are making the decision and taking the risk to use an illegal and damaging drug. They deserve to get in trouble over it and the neighbours are making the op's life very hard so they deserve anything they get.

If someone is having an odd smoke now and again and otherwise a good neighbour then fair enough but these are trouble makers and obviously smoking constantly.

<mod snip >

OP is in a bad situation and so is the landlord, though presumably he took less care than he should have in selecting his tenants.

I think the only real option that the OP has is to move. Starting a war with these people, even if proxy through the landlord, will only increase your stress level and achieve nothing.

A home should be somewhere that you are comfortable in, and this place will not be that.

Life isn't fair, it shouldn't be you that has to move, but its the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Ask the landlord how many he thinks are living there. Give him the simple facts listed here. If it is not as he agreed originally with the tenants then it is up to him to come around at an appropriate time to catch them himself.

If the landlord knows how many are there and it is different to that indicated to OP at start then OP should look for rent reduction.

Best option is probably to start looking for alternative place as it sounds like that crew are bedded in but you never know, the landlord may well want to get rid of them as wear and tear in their part of house must be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

<mod snip>

On the housing issue it's not a great situation at all , I wouldn't be able to deal with that many people sharing so close to me, is moving a possibility? Have you tried having a word with them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Three are four children living in a house in your neighbourhood, where you have evidence (smell) that a crime is being committed.

And you have to come here to ask if you should be reporting this to someone.

Really?

Report it. And start house-hunting - because though it's illegal, they're not likely to be moving anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

And you have to come here to ask if you should be reporting this to someone.

Really?

I'm sorry but is this not what boards.ie is for.... For asking peoples advice!

It's one girl child three teens aged 16-17.

To everyone else thanks for the advice I will be telling the landlord, and see what he says first about so many people living there.

Hopefully at the least he can tell them to stop parking on the grass, and smoke their stuff somewhere else.

I love the area so don't want to move

Advertisement