Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alien: Covenant *Spoilers from post 747*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Were people actually clamouring for her inclusion? She wasn't the worst thing about the last one, but she certainly wasn't good.

People were asking where she was and why she wasn't mentioned in the synopsis. She was the lead of the previous film after all and the ending suggested she was going to have more adventures.

The radio silence on the matter was kind of weird and makes me think they were busy buying her out of contract, which I assume would have included a big pay rise for the sequel that Fox probably don't want to pay her if she's going to be a dead body in the background for most her scenes. Either that or it's usual "we're still writing the script and don't know what the film is about yet" bs that goes on with almost every Ridley film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Ridley Scott has changed his tune on what Prometheus and the sequels would be so many times that I no longer care to rate him as a visionary for the overall Alien franchise. He said too much before about what the sequel would be and for her character and then it shifted a big deal and suddenly Noomi is not going to be in it. It's sounds quite messy and I fear Fox is calling the shots given the poor review overall for Prometheus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Fox was always calling the shots. The whole idea of making Prometheus a not-prequel to the Alien franchise was Tom Rothman's idea, though it suited the studio to give the impression that it was Lindelof's.

I'm not aware of any instance in which Scott hasn't rolled over in the face of studio pressure. He's a workaholic and likes to be shooting and is happy to facilitate the studio as long as he gets a start date.

I think the bigger problem here is the fact Lindelof jumped ship and without him they didn't have a clear picture for where to go with the sequels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ridley Scott has changed his tune on what Prometheus and the sequels would be so many times that I no longer care to rate him as a visionary for the overall Alien franchise. He said too much before about what the sequel would be and for her character and then it shifted a big deal and suddenly Noomi is not going to be in it. It's sounds quite messy and I fear Fox is calling the shots given the poor review overall for Prometheus.

This whole Prometheus series thing has been pretty much a fat disaster. 'Prometheus' itself was probably one of the dumbest things I've seen in ages. Characters do the most appalingly, mind numbing, idiotic actions to simply move a lame plot along.

I hope Scott doesn't do much more damage to the Alien series (a buggered series anyway) and more damage to his legacy.

I actually watched the entire Alien/Predator (sort of) series recently and it's amazing at how well the 80's films stood up compared to the more recent output. I give 'Alien 3' a pass cos I genuinely like it. It has real balls. Hell, I even have a soft spot for 'Alien vs Predator' in a B movie trash sort of way. But the biggest disappointments have to be 'Alien: Ressurection' and 'Prometheus' and I've tried so hard to like them....so hard. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

15195993_10154625363676605_7280976211091197688_o.jpg

Not sure if this is real or not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Gintonious wrote: »
    15195993_10154625363676605_7280976211091197688_o.jpg

Not sure if this is real or not...

FUCK YES.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fantastic mood setting poster; I suspect it shouldn't be too long then 'til we see a first trailer. Though Ridley Scott's output has dipped so much these days I'm keeping my expectations dialled wayyy back - and that's as someone who enjoyed Prometheus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

pixelburp wrote: »
    Fantastic mood setting poster; I suspect it shouldn't be too long then 'til we see a first trailer. Though Ridley Scott's output has dipped so much these days I'm keeping my expectations dialled wayyy back - and that's as someone who enjoyed Prometheus.

I have no evidence at all to back this up - but I just have a massive gut feeling the trailer is gonna premier at Star Wars Rogue one ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I have no evidence at all to back this up - but I just have a massive gut feeling the trailer is gonna premier at Star Wars Rogue one ...

I dunno... Disney family movie showing a trailer for the next entry in one of sci-fi horrors greatest franchises.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    I dunno... Disney family movie showing a trailer for the next entry in one of sci-fi horrors greatest franchises.

But won't it have a 12s rating ?
    all these movies are dumbed down now anyway ..

But won't it have a 12s rating ?
    all these movies are dumbed down now anyway ..

If that is the route it is going down, another watered down "horror" ripping off the Alien brand, then I''ll be giving this a miss. I enjoyed the scale, the ambition and visuals of Prometheus but it had no real bite or fear factor to it. Covenant needs to bring the horror. A trailer before Star Wars would be the first sign that it is not.

If that is the route it is going down, another watered down "horror" ripping off the Alien brand, then I''ll be giving this a miss. I enjoyed the scale, the ambition and visuals of Prometheus but it had no real bite or fear factor to it. Covenant needs to bring the horror. A trailer before Star Wars would be the first sign that it is not.

Remember I have no sources on this, I am assuming things ..
    but the sad fact is nowadays box office is box office and they want to max out cinema attendance.. Mad Max is a notable exception to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I was just turning 15 when Alien was coming out, and although it was an 18s movie, I saw the trailer at something age appropriate. Scared the crap out of me, even though it was mostly just running and flashing lights with music and noise.

Remember I have no sources on this, I am assuming things ..
    but the sad fact is nowadays box office is box office and they want to max out cinema attendance.. Mad Max is a notable exception to this.

I know you're only assuming. I'm just saying I doubt it will happen as Star Wars is a family fun movie franchise while Alien is a horror movie franchise.
    I was just turning 15 when Alien was coming out, and although it was an 18s movie, I saw the trailer at something age appropriate. Scared the crap out of me, even though it was mostly just running and flashing lights with music and noise.

Different times though. There were a lot of things done 25 years ago that wouldn't happen today... one of those being to show an age inappropriate trailer for a horror movie in front of a movie where children will be in the audience.

one of those being to show an age inappropriate trailer for a horror movie in front of a movie where children will be in the audience.

When I went to see Gravity in the cinema, they only showed one trailer.

The trailer for Gravity.

Sometimes there is a lot less thought going into this stuff than you might imagine.

Also - they can cut a PG trailer for a horror movie if they want.

The trailer for Gravity.

LOL, pretty sure same thing happened at my showing. I remember that happening for another movie too in the past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

The trailer for Gravity.

Sometimes there is a lot less thought going into this stuff than you might imagine.

Yeah but what's the point? It's not the target audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There must be a trailer coming up soon.

Gintonious wrote: »
    There must be a trailer coming up soon.

Id imagine one by Christmas .. hopefully anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

KNsXLOz.jpg

This site reckons it might mean there'll be a trailer on the 22nd:
    http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/20th-century-fox-tease-new-alien-covenant-image-with-cryptic-clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

X5sKoc6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

James Franco added to the cast, which is.....interesting casting.

Corholio wrote: »
    James Franco added to the cast, which is.....interesting casting.

Any bets he is playing another Company toerag?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Any bets he is playing another Company toerag?

Well it's either going to be that or he saves the day with a bong and an ounce of weed.

https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/811572411006976000

and
    http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/fox-release-another-alien-covenant-movie-still
    Fairly certain the numbers are time/date stamps of when the pictures take place.

22:05 12/05/2104

13:01 12/06/2104

18:56 12/08/2104

Read more: http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/fox-release-another-alien-covenant-movie-still#ixzz4TUXMhR8w
    Follow us: @Scifiedcom on Twitter | Scifiedcom on Facebook

They are really teasing it with this aren't they ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The rumour is Franco will play 'Branson', the captain of the ship 'Covenant', a supposedly small role. He's also apparently Katherine Waterstone's husband in the film.

Pretty obvious that someone had an abdominal alien-related incident in that room.

So we have a row of freezers, a platoon of marines in action, and a chestburster in a medical bay.

Having made a bollix of Alien in Prometheus, is Scott out to crap on Aliens?

https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/812317396262232064

OK

Okay!

Enough already.

Give us the trailer!!!!

Hype generated and such!

So what was with the numbers ?

so far, best guess has been dates in the future...
    so 224612072104 becomes: 22:46 on 12th of the 07th 2104

Dashes might be ... end of a countdown.. or outside time or timeless or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Trailer 2moro or am I mistaken....

Ps I enjoyed Prometheus.

• Advertisement

Can we lock this thread until the trailer comes out.... every time I see a new post... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Not long to wait bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Can we lock this thread until the trailer comes out.... every time I see a new post... :mad:

The trailers for Prometheus were class so I wouldn't invest too much in whatever kind of trailer they produce here. :pac: I liked Prometheus mind you, but certainly wasn't what I hoped it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Finally someone questions the retardedness of such a mission/expedition.

• Advertisement

looks pretty **** actually ...

Will this film be rated R anyone know ?
    or will they pussy out and give it a PG rating just to make more $$ ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Not loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

It's not a great teaser by any means, but it's always tough to judge films on such small previews.
    What I'd be concerned about is potentially how much of the 'flow' of the movie is given away by this sneak peak, and given that there appears to be a deliberate retreading of scenarios from the original Alien, you do feel an unsettling overfamiliarity with the imagery on screen.
    Seeing as how there have been questions around pressure being exerted by the studio on the direction Scott wished to take his Prometheus story, into a more 'give the audience what they want', I'd expect plenty of riffs on what's come before.

Plus I say that as a huge fan of the Alien films (well, most of them), and, even with its disappointing aspects, Prometheus.

It's an encouraging trailer for me. Seems to be less flash than Prometheus while emphasising a more tense atmosphere.

Looks like the new Android Fassbender is playing is more of an honest Joe than David which is good.

The only part I found irritating is Ridley going with the dumb chummy crew cliché again. You'd think at this stage they'd know they're heading into deep sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

flyians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Will this film be rated R anyone know ?
    or will they pussy out and give it a PG rating just to make more $$ ?

There's enough gore in the trailer to suggest that it will be rated R. Also someone drops the f-bomb, looks like R to me. If it doesn't get neutered by the studio in the mean time of course.

The trailer got my pulse racing for a few moments, I think it did it's job. I just hope the script turns out to be a lot better than the stupid fest that was Prometheus, which - perhaps worringly - also had an excellent first trailer.

Scott said they are going for “hard R”. He prides himself on being on the same wave length as the studio, so it’s unlikely that will change between now and release. Especially when the studio is releasing red band trailers.

With Prometheus he was aiming for hard PG-13 as per the studio’s request, but couldn’t get it past the MPAA and had to make do with a soft R.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Going by the blood and language in yhe trailer, it looks like it'll be 'R' enough? Understated enough promotion but definitely looks a more horror focused film.

I also wonder if they're finally using an abandoned Alien 3 plot / concept and introducing the xenomorph as an infection or mutation? One of the scenes seemed to be hinting at that ....

It looks right..

just nothing jumps out and says this is gonna be a blockbuster..

maybe they're overcompensating for prometheus

I dunno

• Advertisement
Advertisement