Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alien: Covenant *Spoilers from post 747*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Liked the clips with David/Walter in the piano room. Some nice Ridley esque visuals.

Hopefully there will be some depth in it as opposed to just running and screaming and dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Looks like a run of the mill action movie.. a bit like that Predator remake a few years back.. milking the franchise for money.,

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks passable enough anyway. Clear they've switched from Iceland to New Zealand for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

One of the greatest things about the original Alien movie for me was the mystery behind where these creatures may have come from, the mystery of the enormity of space and what could be out there. I didn't and don't want to know where these aliens come from. That mystery adds to the fear of these chaotic primordial dragon creatures both for the human characters in the film and the human audience watching it. Scott made a balls of all that with Prometheus. I honestly don't think he understands or respects his older work such as Alien, because if he did he wouldn't allow these franchised hyped 'explanation' prequels to destroy the mystery element what made the originals so good and frightening.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Another pointless cash in. Like Terminator series they should be a stop to this unoriginal dirge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

buried wrote: »
    One of the greatest things about the original Alien movie for me was the mystery behind where these creatures may have come from, the mystery of the enormity of space and what could be out there. I didn't and don't want to know where these aliens come from. That mystery adds to the fear of these chaotic primordial dragon creatures both for the human characters in the film and the human audience watching it. Scott made a balls of all that with Prometheus. I honestly don't think he understands or respects his older work such as Alien, because if he did he wouldn't allow these franchised hyped 'explanation' prequels to destroy the mystery element what made the originals so good and frightening.

Couldn't agree more.

I am a huge fan of Prometheus.
    Yes it had flaws, some dodgy script and some dodgy characters, but those faults for me were completely overshadowed by some of the greatest sci-if visuals/location and design and mystery that I have ever seen in a movie. I still don't get tired of looking at the bluray

It was frustrating hearing other people criticise it for not having the classic Aliens in it. For me it was a much bolder step to take, and try tell a new story, a much bigger story.

I know it's only a trailer, but it does look like they are trying to please the critics, as the trailer made sure to include the eggs, face hugger and Alien. It's after putting me right off. Prometheus was its own story, but it was criticised for not being an alien movie. Now they have even included "Alien" in the title of the new movie. Do we really need to see these aliens again. This new trailer looks like this is going to be another rehash of the original movie, unlike Prometheus which tried to tell a new story

i personally would like to see a sequel to Prometheus, as opposed to a prequel to the original alien movie.

As much as I love and cherish the original movies, my heart sank watching that trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I am a huge fan of Prometheus.
    Yes it had flaws, some dodgy script and some dodgy characters, but those faults for me were completely overshadowed by some of the greatest sci-if visuals/location and design and mystery that I have ever seen in a movie. I still don't get tired of looking at the bluray

It was frustrating hearing other people criticise it for not having the classic Aliens in it. For me it was a much bolder step to take, and try tell a new story, a much bigger story.

I know it's only a trailer, but it does look like they are trying to please the critics, as the trailer made sure to include the eggs, face hugger and Alien. It's after putting me right off. Prometheus was its own story, but it was criticised for not being an alien movie. Now they have even included "Alien" in the title of the new movie. Do we really need to see these aliens again. This new trailer looks like this is going to be another rehash of the original movie, unlike Prometheus which tried to tell a new story

i personally would like to see a sequel to Prometheus, as opposed to a prequel to the original alien movie.

As much as I love and cherish the original movies, my heart sank watching that trailer

I can think of very few films that just visuals, location and design can save a film from dodgy script, characters and even basic film sense. I don't think not having the original Aliens was a big complaint was it? It had far bigger problems than that. It wouldn't bother me at all, and indeed didn't in Prometheus, of having different and new aliens in the movies, it was just utterly wasted in such a disappointing film. As much as the originals visuals and atmopshere has been rightly lauded, a huge thing about it was they were allowed to function thoroughly in a tight script. I could care less about visuals if what I'm watching has an off the cliff script like Prometheus had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Fan recut the trailer Prometheus Style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I really enjoyed Prometheus. I went in with no prior knowledge of how much it would follow the Alien formula and apparently I liked it a lot more than most people did....particularly the sound track which I thought was terrific.

I like new stories and tales and this seems like a bit of a rehash to be honest. I will obviously reserve judgement until I have seen it and hopefully it turns out al right.

Rewatched Prometheus this evening. Better than I remember.

The Covenant trailer feels like it makes a bit more sense now.

I guess I let the nostalgia of a landslide of bad opinion towards Prometheus overwhelm what I remembered about the film itself.

I'd totally forgotten Vickers was Weylands daughter.

You know, I wonder if that ship and crew in the trailer are sent to rescue/gather the remains of her/weyland as they are such high profile. Plus.. as sometimes happens in horror films.. we never got visual confirmation of her death.

Maybe the planet started terraforming after Shaw (Rapace) left in the other ship.

Though that shower scene like.. you know there's an alien about.. so get nekkid? I hope that's explained well.

I dunno .. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

What planet are they going to?

Is this a rescue or fact finding mission for Prometheus crew or something else entirely?

Is the Prometheus mission and science findings that inspired it a massive secret from the general population?

This is 10 years after Prometheus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I liked the trailer. It seems to be recreating some of the ambience of the original Alien but, as long as its not a carbon copy, that's needed after Prometheus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It looks good and hopefully this time it will not be indecisive about what it wants to be which was my biggest gripe with Prometheus, lindelof is not involved so that is a step in the right direction.

I'd say that it's going to be building up on the Prometheus story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I see Lindelof is still being used a scapegoat for everything wrong with Prometheus.

Lindelof didn’t write the film all by himself, folks. Spaihts wrote most of it. Lindelof did his re-writes under a pretty specific set of instructions from Scott/Rothman, who wanted to distance the film from the Alien franchise. Lindelof just figured out a way to make their idea of a not-prequel prequel work. Scott then hacked the script to pieces in the editing room, re-arranging scenes and cutting out plot points and character development. And that’s not counting all the stuff that was lost at script stage because Scott foolishly thought he could make the film PG-13.

I’m not absolving Lindelof of all responsibility – some of the character writing is terrible – but most of the issues people have with the film weren't his doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I see Lindelof is still being used a scapegoat for everything wrong with Prometheus.

Lindelof didn’t write the film all by himself, folks. Spaihts wrote most of it. Lindelof did his re-writes under a pretty specific set of instructions from Scott/Rothman, who wanted to distance the film from the Alien franchise. Lindelof just figured out a way to make their idea of a not-prequel prequel work. Scott then hacked the script to pieces in the editing room, re-arranging scenes and cutting out plot points and character development. And that’s not counting all the stuff that was lost at script stage because Scott foolishly thought he could make the film PG-13.

I’m not absolving Lindelof of all responsibility – some of the character writing is terrible – but most of the issues people have with the film weren't his doing.

I think he seems to be a target due to his involvement with Lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

For me personally his introduction of black goo(it will do what ever the script needs it to do 'magic') was his worst contribution and I remember a quote from him saying the audience love mysteries and we dont necessarily need to conceive an answer which is down right insulting to an audience IMO as they should at least have a concept of what answers these mystery hold and why Lost felt so disappointing when we found out the writers had no game plan what so ever story wise.

I read a few of the Prometheus scripts and it seems the new film will be mirroring some scenes from the early drafts that Lindelof had removed from the finished Prometheus script. I look forward to the new film, I re watched Prometheus a few days ago and there is a lot to like there but also a lot of frustration of lost potential;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Slydice wrote: »
    Rewatched Prometheus this evening. Better than I remember.

I watched Prometheus twice. Because I really wanted to like it and so many have said it's good, even great, but I just don't get it at all, even after a second viewing.

Hoping Covenant is better. Looks promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I remember a quote from him saying the audience love mysteries and we dont necessarily need to conceive an answer

That is why I hate Lindelof. He is a hack who holds his audience in contempt. It's a writers job to tell a story and a mystery without an answer is not even half a story, it just lets bad writers get away with throwing whatever they want at the page even if it could never add up.

• Advertisement

Alex Jones covers the leaked secrets behind the upcoming installment of the Ridley Scott Alien franchise, Alien Covenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Alex Jones covers the leaked secrets behind the upcoming installment of the Ridley Scott Alien franchise, Alien Covenant.

Are the words false and flag mentioned in that video?
    Are both his hands above the desk?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What the hell is Alex Jones doing in a film thread? :confused: what, does he do a side job in quiet film critique in between the conspiratorial fantasies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

PHtyjjycijkXwy_1_l.jpg

8946510200000.jpg?crop=0px%2C202px%2C2400px%2C1598px&resize=2000%2C1333&ssl=1

michael-fassbender-and-carmen-ejogo-in-alien--covenant-213177.jpg

Some new images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Yep, having taken a slash on Alien, he is going to pee on Aliens next.

It's kinda looking like an 'Aliens' remake, with a cut price Ripley.

408771.jpg

One of my most anticipated movies ever
    From the day I walked out of the cinema after watching prometheus, I wanted more, I wanted to know more

Best money I ever spent. Visually it's a masterpiece, set design, creature design, it doesn't get any better. Loved the mystery, very much like the original, nobody had a clue wants going on. I thought the concept was amazing and very brave. Setting of to meet our creators. Doesn't get any more epic than that

I am an unashamed Prometheus fan boy

• Advertisement

I am an unashamed Prometheus fan boy

So far, I think the next one shows every sign that it will match the quality of Prometheus.

So I won't be watching. Hope you enjoy it.

So far, I think the next one shows every sign that it will match the quality of Prometheus.

So I won't be watching. Hope you enjoy it.

Of course you will watch it :-)

Of course you will watch it :-)

I didn't watch Prometheus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Slydice wrote: »
    408771.jpg

What I am looking at here - I don't get it??

I didn't watch Prometheus.

So you won't watch a movie, as it looks like another movie which you have not seen?
    Happy Friday!!!!!!!

What I am looking at here - I don't get it??

I think the criticism is that there is a whiteboard covered in equations in marker 8 feet up on the wall where no-one can write on it without a stepladder.

So you won't watch a movie, as it looks like another movie which you have not seen?

Correct. I avoided Prometheus based on the pre-release info, and the shellacking it got from the critics and this group says I was right, I would have hated it.

Not feeling any better about this episode.

Correct. I avoided Prometheus based on the pre-release info, and the shellacking it got from the critics and this group says I was right, I would have hated it.

Not feeling any better about this episode.

Well perhaps you might watch this one so that you can share your own opinion, instead of just being right

Well perhaps you might watch this one so that you can share your own opinion, instead of just being right

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sigh....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So a 4-minute 'prologue' has been released; it's something of a scene setter, very definitely near the start of the film so no real spoilers & a quick little sketch of the crew of the titular Covenant. There's a very obvious and blatant nod to Alien 1 in it; I found it a cute little wink, others might find it a bit too on-the-nose mind you:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's a very obvious and blatant nod to Alien 1 in it; I found it a cute little wink, others might find it a bit too on-the-nose mind you:

Yeah, not exactly subtle at all. Though I did like the "I've got your back" line after. Nice.

I also really struggle with Franco and McBride being in it, even if they're small roles. Who knows, maybe McBride will prove me wrong.

I hope the tone of the prologue isn't what the film will be like. It just felt off.

Why is it that the crew banter in this feels very, very forced and scripted. Yet in 'Alien', one of the first films to feature "ordinary Joes" in space, it feels so much more natural?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

pixelburp wrote: »
    So a 4-minute 'prologue' has been released; it's something of a scene setter, very definitely near the start of the film so no real spoilers & a quick little sketch of the crew of the titular Covenant. There's a very obvious and blatant nod to Alien 1 in it; I found it a cute little wink, others might find it a bit too on-the-nose mind you:

There is one major spoiler that we can work out I feel, the captaincy.

I did enjoy this, but was there any need to call it the 'last supper'? It's laid on fairly think at the end there with the heavily religious themed framing.

Havockk wrote: »
    It's laid on fairly think at the end there with the heavily religious themed framing.

Hurray! Blue Space Jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The prologue was directed by Ridley’s son and isn’t part of the film, so I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Yeh, none of this will be in the actual film, like Wayland's TED talk used to promote 'Prometheus'.

I do hope the final product will be at least on par with 'Alien 3'. There's just been so much disappointment with the Alien franchise since 1992, the aforementioned prequel being one of the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hope they minimize Franco's role. Still optimistic for the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Can someone tell me this. Does this movie pick up from where David and Shaw take off LV-223 to go to the Engineers Planet?

Tefral wrote: »
    Can someone tell me this. Does this movie pick up from where David and Shaw take off LV-223 to go to the Engineers Planet?

No. It’s about a different crew/ship who discover what happened to David and Shaw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement