Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Everytime I see Richard Hawley I always ask myself why I rarely listen to him or buy his records. He is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Born slippy please

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

That's a shocking choice of an opening tune from Underworld.

It's from their new album, I like it. But I can imagine many thinking wtf, you'd expect them to start with an anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

tinpib wrote: »
    It's from their new album, I like it. But I can imagine many thinking wtf, you'd expect them to start with an anthem.

It's an ok tune but isn't great live. The new album's not great imo. Dark Train comes on and straight away they sound way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some lights!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Finally an underworld anthem!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 redzor

Mmm skyscraper would of been a better start like last year,,,,the memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Watched Underworld on the iPlayer it is a great show stick with it ..had it on in HD via surround sound amp ..brought me back to their early gigs in places like the RedBox Dublin in 1998

God I thought the crowd would've gone mental when Jumbo started. Barely even a hint of recognition.:( Love that tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

That's a shocking choice of an opening tune from Underworld.

They haven't got an awful lot to choose from in fairness. A lot of their best material sounds dated and just wouldn't work in that setting. A great act in their day, but they're well past it. Their new material is desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Jumbo. Tune

Utah wrote: »
    Jumbo. Tune

Quality album. Probably my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Not past it... Just a poor set. Not festival friendly .. Too many new album tracks to start

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Not past it... Just a poor set. Not festival friendly .. Too many new album tracks to start

Were they ever good outside of a club? I've never enjoyed them at festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

keith_d99 wrote: »

Yeah, it's a poor set alright. But here's Rez :)

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a poor set alright. But here's Rez :)

Again seemed a very muted crowd response on the telly. I'd be going mental :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 redzor

Yeah they trying to sell the new album but Glastonbury wants the classics ..like Rez

Rez sounds really slow to me, no energy at all. No energy from Karl Hyde either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

This Disclosure stuff on bbc2, headline act. What the heckðŸ˜

"The next one's a brand new tune."

...reaches for remote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Pickpocket wrote: »
    "The next one's a brand new tune."

...reaches for remote.

Nearly did the same :)

The doc that has just come on BBC 4 looks cool. Kinda instantly glued to it. The history of the vinyl album, kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Enjoyed watching it again last night, the BBCs coverage is brilliant. Underworld looked amazing, slow enough to start off but by the end of it they were great, I really like their new tune Ova Nova. Was watching a bit of Sigur Ros as I was going to sleep they sounded pretty nice, as did Daughter earlier in the night. Muse weren't my cup of tea at all.

The line-up didn't really suit me, as they say, but still something interesting stuff came through. The Syrian music didn't really do it for me but it was a nice story and a lot of respect to Damon Albarn. There was a weird Ukrainian band on one stage that was interesting too. And thought Savages were fun and quite like Christine and the Queens, who I heard before on Jools Holland, but not sure I like the idea of bands miming which they seemed to be.

but not sure I like the idea of bands miming which they seemed to be.

Ya, I thought Muse were possibly miming? If so that's a disgrace. Who else do you think was miming?

Ya, I thought Muse were possibly miming? If so that's a disgrace. Who else do you think was miming?

It wasn't on any of the stages, but where they have the acoustic mini-stage by the BBC studio. Christine and the Queens played Tilted, which I think is a really great song, but the giveaway was when the presenters came over to chat to her straight afterwards and her microphone wasn't even switched on! I think she was probably miming when she played it on Jools Holland as well.

There's probably quite a lot of it goes on that we never even hear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

The line-up didn't really suit me, as they say, but still something interesting stuff came through. The Syrian music didn't really do it for me but it was a nice story and a lot of respect to Damon Albarn. There was a weird Ukrainian band on one stage that was interesting too. And thought Savages were fun and quite like Christine and the Queens, who I heard before on Jools Holland, but not sure I like the idea of bands miming which they seemed to be.

Yeah Dakahbarba were that Ukrainian band they look class kinda reminded me of Goat with their costumes.

I'd hope bands weren't miming,could be a delay on the feed or something maybe somebody better versed in AV technology might be able to clear that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Rez sounds really slow to me, no energy at all. No energy from Karl Hyde either.

I think Emerson was a big part of Underworld back in the day, their quality dropped a lot when he left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It wasn't on any of the stages, but where they have the acoustic mini-stage by the BBC studio. Christine and the Queens played Tilted, which I think is a really great song, but the giveaway was when the presenters came over to chat to her straight afterwards and her microphone wasn't even switched on! I think she was probably miming when she played it on Jools Holland as well.

There's probably quite a lot of it goes on that we never even hear about.

I thought that was just they still had some weird sound effect turned on for her mic.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    I thought that was just they still had some weird sound effect turned on for her mic.

Could be possible alright. I did think her voice sounded too pure to be live, but I wouldn't swear on it. She's a terrific performer anyway and Tilted is a fantastic song.

Advertisement