Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bowie tribute on BBC 4 now

Love Bowie but this isn't doing it for me at all.

Give me Becks version of "sound and vision" any day over this.

Watched their set life earlier, they were great. scary biscuits though , deserters songs is nearly 20 years old

Still lovely music though

And Lauren, dear lovely lucious Lauren is back on, no no no no **** off Philip glass, I want Lauren

Have to say I'm no connoisseur of classical music but I do like Philip Glass. Discovered his stuff a few years ago when he donated a track to the game Chime. Probably the most accessible in his field in modern times.

Bowie tribute on BBC 4 now

It's different, I think Bowie would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Rfrip wrote: »
    Fat boy slim needs to have a long hard look at himself

I'm sure there's a good reason why you'd pay a sh!t load of cash to go stand in a field and watch a middle aged man spin records, but i doubt anyone would be able to explain it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Nah, he's doing just fine, he'll have a long hard look at the invoice he submitted to worthy farm, then he'll laugh his arse off again.

He's not the problem, the ****ers booking him are.

(And I say that as some one who likes him but he's been in a rut for years now, bit of a kick needed)

• Advertisement

I'm sure there's a good reason why you'd pay a sh!t load of cash to go stand in a field and watch a middle aged man spin records, but i doubt anyone would be able to explain it to me.

I said this exact same thing when calvin harris played T in the park a few years ago and got roasted for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Yesssssssss, Love Will Tear Us Apart, nice version as well!!!!

A proper festival set from New Order! All the hits .... And a couple from their latest album which is excellent btw

Ah Bernard's voice has always been a bit shaky live ... If anything it's gotten better:)

You have a diva headlining the main stage, a classical concert headlining another and a dj headlining a third. I know glastonbury likes to go on about all the diversity and sh!t, but thats taking the custard cream in my humble opinion. And not sure what John Peel would have made of a dj headlining the stage named after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Enjoying Wolf Alice, it's energetic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Michael Eavis just texted me there and he's finally fooked up of all the sheep trampling on his sacred soil and ruining his farm. Boards of Canada, Chelsea Wolfe and Godspeed You! Black Emperor will be the headliners next year for a more intimate approach to the festival which will (hopefully) solve the epidemic of the robotic musical sheep invasion.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

?..And not sure what John Peel would have made of a dj headlining the stage named after him.

Mr Peel was an inclusive sort. If it tweaked his nipple of interest then I don't think he'd have given two ****s.

Mr Peel was an inclusive sort. If it tweaked his nipple of interest then I don't think he'd have given two ****s.

True enough alright i'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Tom Lidell or sumfink just on there on BBC 2, liked that last song of his. Never 'heard of him before.

Tom Odell I think it is, once of Razorlight who had the odd decent tune or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

keith_d99 wrote: »
    A proper festival set from New Order! All the hits .... And a couple from their latest album which is excellent btw

Ah Bernard's voice has always been a bit shaky live ... If anything it's gotten better:)

They were class. Will defo be going to them at Electric Picnic

Snarky Snark Snark

Watching Squeeze on the TiVo box thingy, would be really good if they could be nabbed for EP

Watching Squeeze right now. Loving the ukelele intro to Tempted, best version of the song i've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

Tom Odell I think it is, once of Razorlight who had the odd decent tune or two.[/quote

Ha ha that's Johnny borrell you're thinking of an absolute idiot of the highest proportions.

This lad was tom odell, talented singer songwriter, a poor man's Ben Howard who in turn is a poor man's David Gray

Tom Odell I think it is, once of Razorlight who had the odd decent tune or two.[/quote

Ha ha that's Johnny borrell you're thinking of an absolute idiot of the highest proportions.

This lad was tom odell, talented singer songwriter, a poor man's Ben Howard who in turn is a poor man's David Gray

Ah fack ya, had a bit of a brainfart there....actually can blame the bbc guy cos he mentioned some cnnection with razorlight afterwards which is what completely threw me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

adox wrote: »
    Adele back on. Struggling slightly with her vocals.

Maybe I'm getting too old but getting harder to find exciting performances

Her touring schedule has caused her voice to deteriorate .

Early on in the European tour her voice was immaculate but near the end she was shortening concerts and taking longer breaks between songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Magnetised was the last tune he played, it's already up on youtube, at the minute anyway. Love the lyrics "Yeaaa-aahhhh, Yeee--aaaahhhh, Yeee--aaaahhhh"

My kind of lyrical complexity.

Some great shots of the backing singer too. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

It's mad that he is still getting these big bookings as he is such a dated DJ in my opinion and his sets are always very samey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

They're having a good time. People will pay money to enjoy themselves. And good for them.

But quality or artistic merit is irrelevant. That's why my local cinema shows only knucklehead comedies and testosterone-packed ejaculations, it's why my local Eason sells shelves of romantic day-dreams while the 'classics' section dies a death on the bottom row, and it's why Gamestop sells Call of Duty for 70 quid while challenging and heartfelt indie-games don't even get a physical release.

That is how popular entertainment works. Surely you can't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭talkto

I'm a fan of Adele, I went to see her in March in the Point and it was possibly the most flawless performance I've ever seen live, in that the energy didn't let up and her vocals did not falter once.. However, it really didn't carry to the outdoor festival stage last night, IMO. She kept losing momentum by talking too often and for too long, and it felt tedious and dragged out at times, and I felt like she was losing the crowd, especially given the enormity of it. Add to this the fact that she kept singing songs that your standard audience member probably wouldn't have been familiar with, and the momentum really just seemed to wither. Her vocals were not up to her usual standard either.

Excellent performer in general, but I think they messed up last night and missed an amazing opportunity in the process.

Tinie wrote: »
    It's mad that he is still getting these big bookings as he is such a dated DJ in my opinion and his sets are always very samey.

DJs like Fatboy Slim remind me of how important real DJs are in digging out and preserving music. For every Fatboy Slim there's a DJ Harvey, unknown to the masses but an absolute champion of strange and beautiful music that would otherwise go unheard.

And I say that without criticism of Norman Cook. He's always struck me as very genuine and likeable, and I'll always be glad to have seen him when he was in his pomp. Not a very original DJ, with little technical ability, but he had a good ear for the kinda authentic, kinda commercial house track that put smiles on faces. Plus his own production work speaks for itself and his label Southern Fried was once a fairly idiosyncratic and interesting label.

So yeah, Fatboy Slim, a nice guy that earned his stripes, and now he knows how to collect a cheque as well. Good for him. But blame the organisers for allowing someone so stale and (now) unoriginal to headline their festival, and blame the BBC for once again ignoring the myriad electronic acts performing over the three days, thus further entrenching the divide between electronic and 'live' music, when in fact the lines are becoming increasingly blurred.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    They're having a good time. People will pay money to enjoy themselves. And good for them.

But quality or artistic merit is irrelevant. That's why my local cinema shows only knucklehead comedies and testosterone-packed ejaculations, it's why my local Eason sells shelves of romantic day-dreams while the 'classics' section dies a death on the bottom row, and it's why Gamestop sells Call of Duty for 70 quid while challenging and heartfelt indie-games don't even get a physical release.

That is how popular entertainment works. Surely you can't be surprised.

Absolutely, people can buy/read/listen to/watch what they want and I'm free to comment on it as my fancy deems. But I don't have any problem with it really, and I don't know if I'm being pretentious in doing so or maybe just suffering from old fartism syndrome. And I like that the old fashioned coffee shop near where I live is always quiet and peaceful while the queues get bigger in the starbucks on the other side of the road. It will only become an issue for me when the old coffee shop is forced to shut down.

Absolutely, people can buy/read/listen to/watch what they want and I'm free to comment on it as my fancy deems. But I don't have any problem with it really, and I don't know if I'm being pretentious in doing so or maybe just suffering from old fartism syndrome. And I like that the old fashioned coffee shop near where I live is always quiet and peaceful while the queues get bigger in the starbucks on the other side of the road. It will only become an issue for me when the old coffee shop is forced to shut down.

No, you're not being pretentious in wanting good quality acts heading Glastonbury, but if you're objecting to the very idea of a DJ playing the festival then you are being an old fart.

I've been following dance culture for the best part of 20 years, so I'm more than happy seeing a DJ up there, but I lament the fact that they've went for somebody like Fatboy Slim.

Judging by the line-up, Glastonbury has about a dozen different 'dance' tents/arenas which house an enormous range of of electronic music. And while I accept that a lot, even most, of those aren't suitable for the main stage by reason of their relative obscurity and niche appeal, it's still disappointing to see a festival that clearly knows the best aspects of a culture opting to highlight, on its biggest stages, some of its worst aspects.

What I find very odd is that Glastonbury tickets will sell-out no matter what, and in fact the line-up is only released after it has sold out. So while the organisers are clearly and deliberately going with very commercial acts, they don't need to in the way that other festivals do.

Metallica and Jay-Z challenged the status quo in each of their respective years, and they were brave bookings, particularly the former, but is Fatboy Slim a risky booking, are Disclosure? No, and worryingly, the new status quo of Glastonbury seems to a smattering of day-glo rubbish.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    No, you're not being pretentious in wanting good quality acts heading Glastonbury, but if you're objecting to the very idea of a DJ playing the festival then you are being an old fart.

I've been following dance culture for the best part of 20 years, so I'm more than happy seeing a DJ up there, but I lament the fact that they've went for somebody like Fatboy Slim.

Judging by the line-up, Glastonbury has about a dozen different 'dance' tents/arenas which house an enormous range of of electronic music. And while I accept that a lot, even most, of those aren't suitable for the main stage by reason of their relative obscurity and niche appeal, it's still disappointing to see a festival that clearly knows the best aspects of a culture opting to highlight, on its biggest stages, some of its worst aspects.

What I find very odd is that Glastonbury tickets will sell-out no matter what, and in fact the line-up is only released after it has sold out. So while the organisers are clearly and deliberately going with very commercial acts, they don't need to in the way that other festivals do.

Metallica and Jay-Z challenged the status quo in each of their respective years, and they were brave bookings, particularly the former, but is Fatboy Slim a risky booking, are Disclosure? No, and worryingly, the new status quo of Glastonbury seems to a smattering of day-glo rubbish.

No, I'm not objecting to the idea of it at all. I mean, what right would I have to be doing that? I first got into Glastonbury when the notion of it as a pure rock/guitar festival still seemed important, but that's years ago and I'm pretty sure there were djs on the bill when I first attended back in the 80s anyway. I get that the whole idea now is diversity so anything goes really. And there seems to be an increased world music vibe this time which has been interesting as well as revealing.

I saw Norman Cook on the tv on friday. He was saying how he'd played every stage at Glasto exept the Peel stage, so it seemed like he was getting this gig as a kind of favour. I suppose it's the Eavis's festival so they can do what they like.

But I don't really go for all the "brave" bookings, though. I see those as mainly manufactured controversies and the BBC and Guardian, the main media outlets, are always happy to stoke the fires up. You coudl say Glasto doesn't need the headlines, as it sells out blind every year regardless, but they still like the PR and they are past masters at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Loved the European Union flag in the crowd during Muse on the Pyramid stage.

Not too bothered about the music (especially Adele) but that's why I love Glastonbury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Watching ELO since they started on BBC 2 and it seems a bit flat or something..

Advertisement