Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

This is fecking unreal!!!!

Wish i had a picnic ticket :(

PetKing wrote: »
    One song, great! :(
    Here is the set

us vs them
    daft punk is playing at my house
    i can change
    get innocuous
    you wanted a hit
    tribulations
    movement
    yeah
    someone great
    i’m losing my edge
    new york i love you
    dance yrself clean
    all my friends

They are some musicians and I can't wait to see them on the big stage again in Stradbaly, I saw them first on that stage during the Saturday in 2005..
    Bring it on..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

NoDrama wrote: »
    Here is the set

us vs them
    daft punk is playing at my house
    i can change
    get innocuous
    you wanted a hit
    tribulations
    movement
    yeah
    someone great
    i’m losing my edge
    new york i love you
    dance yrself clean
    all my friends

They are some musicians and I can't wait to see them on the big stage again in Stradbaly, I saw them first on that stage during the Saturday in 2005..
    Bring it on..

Ending on all my friends....brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Hoping this set keeps going on the red button

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

NoDrama wrote: »
    Here is the set

Bring it on..

Sanp, they've still got it ,so does Nancy, grrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Yes LCD are some musicians ..I even noticed they don't use in-ear monitors ..just have speakers on stage around them ..with Mr James Murphy as the conductor changing effect level settings as required....we need some new work ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Underworld were the real standouts for me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

mewe wrote: »
    Underworld were the real standouts for me this year.

For me too. Watching them again on iPlayer and their new stuff, which I hadn't heard before now sounds really good after a couple of listens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Was at a wedding for the weekend so didn't see as much of the coverage as I would have liked. Fair play to Coldplay, some show they put on and the Viola Beach tribute was great. Caught a bit of ELO, Beck, Muse and Underworld. All entertaining in their own rights!

I have been reading the news about the mud. I would have absolutely loved to been at the festival, but I can only imagine the carnage of getting out of there this morning! Especially if you have a campervan. Good luck to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Good point but I think she's developed better as an artist as the years have gone by, she didnt take up the commercial route like so many others have done and you have to respect her for that. I loved her Glastonbury performance almost "vaudeville" in its approach, not a hope in hell would you see Adele doing that type of display..........

I had an "at home" Glasto-Marathon this weekend with full-day wall to wall coverage thanks to BBC iplayer.

For me PJ Harvey wasn't just great, she was head and shoulders above anything else that I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Choochtown wrote: »
    I had an "at home" Glasto-Marathon this weekend with full-day wall to wall coverage thanks to BBC iplayer.

For me PJ Harvey wasn't just great, she was head and shoulders above anything else that I saw.

She was excellent .... Great charisma on stage and her band were brilliant too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

keith_d99 wrote: »
    She was excellent .... Great charisma on stage and her band were brilliant too!

Most definitely. PJ and her band are so talented. And considering the majority of the songs she played were from her last two albums. That woman could of performed for the Three nights with a completely different setlist each time and still nail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Anyone who went over how was the festival in general this year? Missed it this year and trying to determine how many people would have been put off by the mud for next year. From the outside it looked a fair old slog (somewhere in between 2014 and 2011?). Any good / bad new things?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,913 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Phew.. just in Cardiff for some real R&R - great weekend but my God, the mud made it a real tough slog. Legs and feets are in bits after 4 days of it.

Highlights of the weekend - LCD Soundsystem were just incredible.. I'd say it could be the last time Glastonbury sees them but they loved their set - as did the crowd.

Other highlight was Frightened Rabbit in a very quiet Williams Green.. has all the fans there and we all loved it. Lots of stuff (Holy, The Woodpile) that was missed in The Other Stage set earlier in the day.

Biggest disappointment IMO was Muse. Matt Bellamy - get out of your own arse.. wn incredible light show does not make up for it that gob****e.

As mentioned, good weekend but regular goers reckon weather was worse than the infamous 07 flood. Weather was decent-ish but the 30mm rain leading up to it did the damage.

Still going next year though.. incredible weekend.. let's just hope for better ground conditions!

Looking forward to getting back to watch what I missed.

PS - met Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Bolton in GoT and Simon in Misfits) at PJ Harvey. Sound lad.. very quiet.. very "un-Ramsay Bolton"..

iVWfi4X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Toast wrote: »
    Anyone who went over how was the festival in general this year? Missed it this year and trying to determine how many people would have been put off by the mud for next year. From the outside it looked a fair old slog (somewhere in between 2014 and 2011?). Any good / bad new things?

Also did Brexit put a dampener on the overall mood?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Chelon wrote: »
    Also did Brexit put a dampener on the overall mood?

Not really. Caused some anger and frustration but not a dampener. Gave one of my favourite memories though of hearling about 50 tents around me open in the morning near simultaniously and voices just shouting "What the fcuk do you mean we're leaving!?!":D

Basq wrote: »
    As mentioned, good weekend but regular goers reckon weather was worse than the infamous 07 flood. Weather was decent-ish but the 30mm rain leading up to it did the damage.

2005 had the flood. 2007 was a dry start though fairly boggy ground which then went awful after it rained from the Thursday pretty much non stop. It was horrible and actually worse than 2005 which actually sorted itself out after the flood. If they are comparing it to 2007 it must have been miserable. It was possible to get tickets for 2008 right up to the festival with no effort as a result of 2007.

I didnt think it was that bad. The weather was fine for the most part. Sunday was sh!tty but the majority was drizzle, 2 heavy showers friday & 1 saturday morning. And apparently wed morning early but I hadnt arrived by then. Besides that it was warm and plenty of sun.
    The muck was the only killer. The ground never had a chance to right itself after the shocking weather the previous friday. Nobody I know who was there this year and 2007 said they could even compare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just home now after a night in a Bristol hotel. It was so nice to sleep in a real bed!

It was my first Glastonbury and I am fully converted. Our group have decided that we will be buying tickets again next year no doubt. The rain wasn't actually too bad during the festival, but the torrential rain in the lead up meant that a lot of the main walkways around the festival consisted of thick, sticky mud that had the consistency of glue. Honestly it didn't bother me too much, there were times when it was tough but I wore wellies for the whole 5 days and my feet and legs were fine even on Sunday evening as I was making mad dashes bewteen stages. My back is a bit sore from lugging my 20kg rucksack and 5 days with very little time spent sleeping or sitting down. Getting on site last Wednesday was also a serious slog. We were sat in Bristol bus station for nearly 7 hours before we got a bus. But it was ok really, we just drank cans and sat in our chairs in the queue. I felt sorry for anyone who had to drive on site though.

I'm not going to go through all the bands I saw because there are too many. The highlight for me was LCD Soundsystem. That was a really special experience that I will never forget for the rest of my life. I've never felt an atmosphere like that a gig before. I was centre and close to the front and everyone around me knew the words to every song and we all sang and cheered as loud as we could. Halfway through the gig James Murphy went to address the crowd but everyone was cheering so loud he was lost for words, he seemed a bit emotional on the 1 or 2 occasions that he spoke. When they finished the set with All My Friends it was really incredible, all the people around me were all hugging each other and singing, I even saw one guy crying. Anyone who's got an EP ticket, were in for a treat and I'll be front and centre if I can! Although I'm not sure it'll be as special as that night.

Other good sets for me were Muse who I thoroughly enjoyed. I was close to the front for that one too as I was there already for Foals and when they kicked it off with Psycho it was absolutely mental. Foals were great as well, even if the sound died for half a song. We were close enough to the stage that we could still hear their on stage amps just fine and they were totally oblivious. Some people behind started booing which I thought was bad form. I also caught Gary Clark Jr just before LCD Soundsystem and he was great, awesome guitarist and a very cool guy. I caught a bit of James Blake on West Holts stage and I was very impressed. I'm not familiar with his music but I'm going to start listening to it now.

The late night entertainment in the South East corner was pretty awesome. Shangri La, The Common, The Unfairground, Block 9 all had a bewildering array of very odd and spectacular venues with all manners of electronic music going until well after sunrise. We made the trek here on Saturday and Sunday night. After the main stages finished there was massive queues for this but if you skipped headliners one night it was easy to get in. They got pretty packed but I noticed that at around 3am the crowd thinned out as all the people who weren't on drugs ran out of steam and left. Subfocus in the temple on Saturday night was awesome if you liked DnB. Plus Micheal Eavis showed up halfway through the set in the DJ booth :D Special mention also to Caravan Palace on the Hell Stage in Shangri La on Sunday night, the were off the hook and had the whole place raving like mad.

Negatives? I struggle to think of any major ones. There were times I got a bit fed up with the crowds and the mud and the rain and I was kind of thinking "fúck this" but those moments were few and far bewteen.

Apart from that I ate some awesome food, met lots of lovely people and had all round absolutely epic 5 days. There is something very very special about that place. It sh!ts all over any other festival I've been to really. Everyone who enjoys festivals needs to go at least once. Although I think it would be impossible to go one year and not try get tickets for the next.

Glad you enjoyed MadYaker..

.. definitely always saw it as a "cross off my bucket list" type thing - but once you go once, it's impossible not to feel enamoured by the whole thing.

6 people going next year in my group so hoping for tickets in October rather than the resale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Toast wrote: »
    2005 had the flood. 2007 was a dry start though fairly boggy ground which then went awful after it rained from the Thursday pretty much non stop. It was horrible and actually worse than 2005 which actually sorted itself out after the flood. If they are comparing it to 2007 it must have been miserable. It was possible to get tickets for 2008 right up to the festival with no effort as a result of 2007.

Pretty surprised tickets were that easy in 2008 - does anyone think it won't sell out again in 30 minutes come October?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

MadYaker wrote: »
    I noticed that at around 3am the crowd thinned out as all the people who weren't on drugs ran out of steam and left.
    MadYaker wrote: »
    all manners of electronic music going until well after sunrise

;)

Sounds like a blast. Glad you enjoyed it.

Pretty surprised tickets were that easy in 2008 - does anyone think it won't sell out again in 30 minutes come October?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/2187107/Glastonbury-Festival-fails-to-sell-out.html

2007 was really a mess and put a lot of people off ever going. It sounds like this year wasn't near as bad so I reckon it will still be a rush for next year.. especially as it is the last year before a year off.

Talking to other people who were there it seemed in 2007 it rained almost constantly, the sun never shined and it was really cold. That sounds a lot worse than this year. We got a fair bit of sunshine (I got burned), not too much rain and it was never cold, I wore shorts every day and only rarely had to put on a jumper. If it rained I either just got wet because it was warm and I knew the rain wouldn't last or else I put on my poncho. The reason the site was so bad this year with mud was because of the weather in the days before the festival. I really didn't find it that bad at all and I didn't talk to anyone who said they weren't going to bother next year so I think it'll definitely sell out fast.

I'd hope so, but I have my doubts..

.. but then again, I was wrong about Brexit! :)

It can sell out anytime after I have my tickets

To be honest I wouldn't mind at all if it didn't sell out. Easy for me to get tickets, and less crowds to navigate through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Ground was so wet in 07 we didn't get that claggy ****e from last weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The mud is nothing these days really. Now they have the metal roadways it does create bottlenecks through the market areas more than previously as everyone tries to walk on the roadways. Before they put those down people just got on with walking through the mud and got to where they needed to be so possibly the time spend walking just creates a false impression of how bad things are as you trudge along slowly looking across at an otherwise empty area between you and the market stall the other side of a big muddy puddle no one is waling through.

I'm in a campervan these days, but on wandering past the camping areas there seemed to be far less tents rammed into teeny tiny spaces, or ones right up against the paths that were trampled in mud as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Is there any tips on getting tickets for this or is it just a lottery ?, I registered last year but got no where other than the in the queue screen :(

Advertisement